“Shabby Chic with character, but a lot lacking.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Le Domaine Saint Aubin

Le Domaine Saint Aubin
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in La Trinite
London, United Kingdom
“Shabby Chic with character, but a lot lacking.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

A few weeks ago while travelling in Martinique with a couple of friends, we decided to spend 1 night in the North of the island. We booked this hotel on the internet & did not have time to check TA.
On arrival we were very pleased with our choice, as the area & hotel looked beautiful at first glance. Yes, the place has a slightly tired look but this did not bother us as it had the feel of a genuine old Colonial home. The first disappointment was that my husband, who had to do some business while there, & had checked to make sure that WiFi was available, could not get a connection. It was so slow, that some charts he needed could not be downloaded. Our second disappointment was the dinner - 2 of us chose the vegetarian main dish, as we thought that this would be a simple & safe option, with local dishes since we were surrounded by lush tropical vegetation. What we received was a pureed concoction that was totally unidentifiable. The taste was not bad, as it was well seasoned, but for 2 days afterwards, we both had to make an inordinate number of trips to the bathroom!
The other 2 Fish & Chicken meals were also a letdown.The owner, still wearing the same shorts & shirt that he had greeted us in early when we had arrived, was the only waiter, & he said that his wife was the chef. The biggest disaster, though, was the breakfast. Because we could see fruit trees outside laden with ripe grapefruit, bananas etc. we thought that at least, the breakfast would be delicious. Again, it was a huge disappointment - tinned fruit, dried up bread, burned croissants & the worse coffee we have ever had! We all took one sip of everything & left it. The occupants from the table next to ours had just left, & there was an old, sick-looking cat on the table with its whole head down inside the milk jug! When the owner came to serve us, he did nothing about it. We kept thinking that if this was happening in the public area, a lot worse must be going on in the kitchen! We had intended to spend some of the morning there enjoying the house & gardens, but in the end, we left as soon as we could, so that we could find somewhere to have a decent cup of coffee. This place has much potential, but I suspect that the owners have lost interest & find it too much to cope with.

Room Tip: We were on the top floor of the main house, but I suspect that the rooms on the middle floor would b...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Polish first
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

Full disclosure – We chose St. Aubin because it was rated 1st on Tripadvisor.

After arriving in Martinique and picking up our rental car, we drove across the island to what we though was the general area of where the hotel was located.

Location:
The hotel was somewhat difficult to find. The website directions are not very useful in English and Google maps actually has another hotel listed as Le Domaine Saint Aubin incorrectly - so beware!. The hotel is almost half way between the towns of Saint Marie and La Trinite. I am attaching images of the hotel from Google Earth, though they seem dated.

I would give Le Domaine Saint Aubin 5 stars simply for its location alone. It is centrally located on the island and no place north or south is more than 1 to 2 hours drive away. Compare this to staying on one of the tips of the island having to drive 2 to 3 hours to the other side and then driving that again at the end of the day. I think not.

Accomodation:
We had one of the single rooms on the upper level of the property. Great views, comfortable bed and we even had a deck that we could sit out on in the morning and evening. There is even a mini fridge. We really appreciated the AC unit in the room on the warmer evenings. Our only complaint is that the AC unit would make crackling noises every now and then and start smelling like burning cables or plastic and the unit would stop working. I am not sure what was going on. We would stop using it at that point.

Food:
We tried to eat out a couple times at various places, and were not dissapointed. On two occasions we had breakfast and dinner at Le Domaine Saint Aubin. The owners wife is the chef and an AMAZING one at that! Dinner is served with appertifes, appatizers, main course and desert. The price was on the high side (around $40+ per person) but worth trying at least once. Breakfast was alright, though not to my liking. French pastries, plain almost sour yogurt and other similar items. My girlfriend loved them however. I chose to instead to purchase some gronola, milk and fruit from a grocery store instead.

Views:
Wow!!! Amazing views.

I would highly recommend this place. Great location, very friendly staff that went out of their way to help us locate some lost baggage and I forgot to mention a swimming pool as well :)

Room Tip: Choose one of the individual condo's or villa's on the hill over the hotel itself. Make sur...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank coldblaze
Philippine, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

The location is very nice but all the extra’s are expensive. We expected a fridge in the room so we brought our own drinks and some food for the evenings. Unfortunately there was no fridge, in fact, the room is very empty apart from the bed, one chair and some dust. It was not a problem to put our stuff in the main kitchen fridge. We saved a lot of money since the drinks on the veranda are over € 5,-. As many times said, the French breakfast is expensive. Do not go to St. Marie for a restaurant. There are none.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Marc B
The Netherlands
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

True, the location is wonderful and the view fantastic but the hotel was such a huge disappointment. At first sight the whole complex looks outstanding but when you come closer to the buildings you will notice that the maintenance is done in a unprofessional way. A lot of areas look untidy and messy and furniture and furnishings threadbare.

There were hardly guests when I arrived in the hotel and no staff, mind you I was there at high season. It had to phone the owner at the reception desk to announce that I arrived. The main building looks lovely but inside untidy. Yes, there might be antique furniture in the main building but the hotel owners certainly did not maintain their furniture well.

I had a room in one of the lodges. The rooms are big and have a big terrace with wonderful sea view but my room was (again) untidy and dusty. The carpet and the cussions in the chairs were filthy. Almost all furnishings and walls were mouldy. There was a colony ants on the floor and there was a big white stain (!) on my blanket on my bed. On my sheet in my bed I found blood stains and sweat spots. The furniture in my room was threadbare.

I took the hotel owner (and chef de cuisine) to my room and confronted him with all the facts. In the beginning he said that it was just normal in the Caribean (no it isn't!) but when he took a look in the bed corner he did not say a word any more. The price/quality level of this hotel is poor and this was the first time in my life that I left a hotel without staying one single night. The owner was professional enough to return me the money for the three nights I booked. I left the hotel within 45 minutes after my arrival.

This is the first time that I am writing a real bad review on Tripadvisor and the first time that I am uploading pictures to support my review.

The area off Trinité is lovely and I can certainly recommend people to stay here for a while. Unfortunately I cannot recommend Le Domaine. They still have a lot of work to do there.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

This hotel delivers a five star location at a three star price point and that may be the source of some of the disappointment found in the reviews here. With such a gorgeous setting, it feels like everything should be amazing, but at this price for a room it just can’t be. Overall the property feels like the house of an aristocratic family with more history than money. The public areas have tons of historic atmosphere. The grounds are quite nice, and there is a pool. It felt a little empty when we were there. We had an enormous room in the main house with absolutely gorgeous views out over the Atlantic, access to a grand porch with seating just outside the room and a huge bathroom by hotel standards. I could have used one more day just to hang out and read either on the porch or by the pool.

The beds were quite comfortable and the room had air conditioning, but very little other furniture, like comfy chairs. Towels and soap/shampoo etc were of very average quality. The curtains were definitely shabby chic and a bit worn. Breakfast, while adequate, was not included in the 159 euro price of the room, and at other places in Martinique at this same price point, breakfast is included. It is served on the downstairs porch with the same wonderful views and atmosphere. But for 2 people, it cost an additional 28 euro. We also tried the prix fixe dinner one night. It was delicious, but for 40 euros per person it was expensive and you don’t get to pick your meal. Fine for one night, but we definitely wanted to try something else the next night. It’s about 20 minutes to Tartane where there were several restaurant options.

The hotel is well-situated for exploring the Presque Isle de la Caravelle as well as the Atlantic Coast. It was quite easy to arrange a booking via email and a telephone call. We were warmly greeted by one of the owners (Mme Rosemain) and well-treated by M. Rosemain. I thought they were very helpful, although I should add that I can manage quite well in French so can’t judge their English. I would stay here again and recommend it.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank travelingmom74150
Montreal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

This is a lovely property, so long as you love the quirks of an old house, and the quirks of a mildly indifferent host. The main "House" is full of historical curiosities, be they furnishings or decorations. My wife, myself, and our 6 year old daughter were in one of the small apartment units set into the hillside of the natural amphitheatre behind the hotel. Our suite was spacious and somewhat spartan, but has a decently equipped kitchen. We had a brilliant view of the Atlantic coast from our generous balcony. We ate most breakfasts and suppers at the suite, and spent the day exploring what seemed like every corner of this very civilized island from our location on the "Nord Atlantique" coast. This is France, after all, so at the local Carrefoour supermarket, you can find all kinds of gourmet French foods and wines at very decent prices. the Saint-Aubin is not a typical hotel, but more like an oversized B&B. Which means whatever your question or requirement, you'll probably find yourself dealing with the owner on it (and he may or may not be sympathetic to your request). We didn't see any other staff member (not even the owner's wife). We did, however, see an a/c repair person, and a lawn cutting crew one day. Breakfast and supper are prix-fixe affairs, and there is no flexibility to accommodate anything other than the "menu gastronomique". Nonetheless, we were happy with our stay, overall, but found the €80 to "clean" the room upon our departure to be excessive (we had neither the time nor materials to leave it as we had found it). So, if you are looking to be pampered and waited upon, do not stay here. If you are a little more flexible, and are prepared to look after yourself, then this is a lovely place to set up a base camp to explore the island (in a rented car) for a week or two.

Room Tip: Go for an upper-level suite in the amphitheatre buildings. The view is fabulous.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Prague, Czech Republic
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

It was our 3. visit of Martinique, but first of this hotel. We spent in this charming hotel 12 days in January 2013. We had studio in lodge with wonderful great terasse and the wonderful sea view.The accommodation was perfect and very clean. Hotel was beautiful and guit. It was for us one of the best vacation. Mr. Rosemain and his wife were really amazing and always willing to help us in the case of our needs. We can recommended this hotel to all who want to spend their vacation in a charming quiet hotel with excelent owner. It was really lovely place. We would love to visit this hotel again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
La Suite Villa
La Suite Villa
#2 of 11 in Trois-Ilets
4.5 of 5 stars 268 reviews

Been to Le Domaine Saint Aubin? Share your experiences!