“Right on the Beach”
Review of Kande Beach Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chinteche
Kande Beach Resort
Reviewed July 4, 2014

I loved my two nights at Kande Beach. The resort has become infamous for bad taste clothes parties which was good craic but some of the younger overlanders got a little out of control and it all went a bit 18-30. On the flip side I also enjoyed the peaceful surroundings and great views during a lightening storm the following night.

The beach boys proved to be no problem and we picked up a few souvenirs and the like...

The staff were very nice and the beers cool and my upgrade to a small room under the dorm was most welcome and not bad value but required my extra mattress. In terms of wifi, it was frustrating but you can do without here...read a book, talk to each other.

My only let down was the price of the horse riding in the area. It was the one thing I wanted to do in Malawi but it was ridiculously expensive compared to neighbouring countries. It would be my hope that the managment can negotiate with the stable owners to be more realistic and thus add value to people's stay at Kande Beach.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Cider_with_rosie
There are newer reviews for Kande Beach Resort

Reviewed June 29, 2014

I absolutely loved Lake Malawi and I especially loved Kande Beach resort. Situated right on the lake, this expansive resort has so much to offer than just camping. The camping facilities were fantastic. The showers clean, the water hot. The cooking and laundry facilities for campers were well maintained. The bar area has a foosball table which makes for some fun entertainment. We also had a number of beach volleyball games going on. Plenty of hammocks to rest and relax in. We loved the walk into the village, which was only a few kilometers. The local kids joined us on our walks, a memory we will not soon forget. The staff was lovely. WiFi is available at the adjacent tourist center which is open regularly (just not 24 hours). We hope to revisit Kande Beach Resort in the future.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 20, 2014

We stayed in a little beach front hut for three nights and had a great time. The twin beds were equipped with mosquito nets and the shared toilet/shower facilities were fine.The camping facilities also looked pretty good - even providing shade over the camping areas. The bar was nice and the food from the restaurant was ok too. It was easy to organise activities such as horse riding and diving.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank noone28
Reviewed June 14, 2014

This is a pretty good campground for overlander trucks with large areas available for tents, and even shade shelters erected so your tent doesn't get too hot (nice touch by management here). As with just about anywhere in Africa there are people trying to sell you things on the public beach and outside the gates near the village, however I found a polite no thanks sufficed and I was only ever asked by each person on one occasion.

The bar is nicely set up and pretty reasonably priced. The pool table is ~$1 USD a game but you can also use Kenyan 10 shilling coins (much cheaper), and the overland guides seem to be able to get free pool. The various shady areas around the bar are great to while away a day on the couches (watch out for dog hair) and the hammocks are awesome.

Never used the internet or saw the rooms but nobody else complained much about them for what they paid, although the internet was apparently very slow so maybe just wait to a better connection in a few days. The showers I used over near the dive shop were fantastic with actual hot water and good pressure so have no issues with them, and there was toilet paper with spare rolls available.

A good place for a relax for a day in between long driving days.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank TimMPerth
Reviewed June 7, 2014

Kande beach used to be a stop over for overland trucks passing through Malawi,it is a whole lot more.... I used to own a backpackers lodge in Nakhata Bay called "Backpackers-Con-X-shon"...I was invited over by the owner Dave ,great fella and his missus to spend some time there. when I arrived I noticed my Kubbel Wagon parked in the parking lot and enquired to it being there since it was stolen in harare ,Zimbabwe some years earlier.Turns out that some dude drove it in and said it had engine problems and would be back to collect it....Back to Kande,great spot to hang out ,camp, drink and party....you are always made to feel welcome,highly recommended.
....and the Kubbel Wagon?? well it is now a "reef" after being towed into the lake by speed boat...if you get to Kande do go for a dive and visit the old girl..she did me proud as I toured all over Africa in her....Enjoy!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view.....lol
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Shocked F
Reviewed June 5, 2014

The place is pretty much only there for overlanders.
The bathrooms were not clean. The double rooms were not so clean either, and extremely basic. None of the beds have box nets. The price of the rooms was quite high for what you are getting.
The location is very nice, but if you're not dead set on seeing a beach on Lake Malawi, I would just skip this place.
Also, the reception was very unhelpful not just once, but on multiple occasions.
Lots of improvements needed.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank travelbuff2012
Reviewed April 23, 2014

Our travel agent had mistakenly booked us at Kande which is a spot for campers, backpackers and over landers on a budget. The rooms are very basic and not what we required. The management gave us a prompt refund and we found more suitable accommodation elsewhere. Thank you. Busy Easter weekend aside, I've stayed in beautiful campsites across Southern Africa and Kande could and should be improved. Best of luck.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Kande Beach Resort? Share your experiences!