“Mommy, the little lion wants to come home with us”
Review of ZOO Lujan

ZOO Lujan
Reviewed March 19, 2012

We were on a cruise that passed by Buenos Aires. We had heard about this fantastic zoo that lets you interact with the animals and arranged the trip to Lujan Zoo. We took a van from the port early in the morning and made an hour trip to the zoo. The place is very simple, and you must go with comfy shoes, hat and a lot of sunscreen. For the rest it is amazing! You can touch lions, give milk to baby linos, give milk to baby tigers, feed pumpkin to elephants and even grapes to bears! The kids rode on dromedaries! All the animals are raised together with dogs, to make them behave good as said by the people that take care of the animals. By the end of the afternoon my 9years old son took a baby lion on this arms and it felt asleep on his arms... And he was so moved by that that he decided he wanted to take the little lion home!!! (we didn't but the picture of him and "his" lion are beside his bed!!!!).
We ate lunch at the zoo's cafeteria, it is simple, and with very few options, but the food was ok, considering the simplicity of the place.
By the end of the day we drove back to the port and to the ship.
All the kids with us said it was a day to remember... And for us adults it was unforgetable too!!!

4  Thank scubapaola
Write a ReviewReviews (3,623)

Reviewed January 8, 2012

This is not a fancy zoo, but if you are interested in petting lions and tigers and feeding the bears, then this is an experience not to be missed. Although I read that you can get there by bus from Buenos Aires, we hired a taxi for about US$150 for the day. If you can figure out the bus you will save a lot of money, but we didn't try. The Zoo is about an hour's drive. Once there you enter a very unusual world. This is a contact zoo where the animals are raised with puppies and humans. The puppies teach the other animals how to behave gently and not fear humans. Seeing the lion and tiger cubs playing with the puppies is the cutest, and the bears with the dogs, unbelievable! If you love animals, you've got to see this! Even Grandma held the lion cub!

Reviewed December 31, 2011

You can enter the lion's cage and leave from it alive; you can enter the tigers' cages and write a review about it some in the last day of that same year (believe me Iam not a ghost); you can feed the bears, you can ride an elephant or a camel. Only at the Lujan's zoo in Argentina. What is the secret of all this? At first, just like I did you will think the animals are on a drug of any type. I used to think like that, but then I entered the tigers' cage while someone else caressed one of the youngsters while two other young energetic tigers were doing their "tiger business": "wrestling", biting each other, rolling, "punching" and anything else. One ran after the other and jumped over it, then the same "tiger business" continued. they seemed never to stop.

My time to caress the cuddly brother tiger came, and the tiger guy announced "wait, Mr., this one is tired already, let's get one those." "One of those" was one of the fighting ones. He grabbed the fighting tiger and in a minute it was there, belly up like a kitten and I was caressing it.

Nothing was the young tiger given to drink or eat. No drugs. The secret, they say, is that the animal is accustomed to people since its early stage of life when it is kept with the zoo's owner, a biologist and veterinary, family inside the family's house.
Another secret is that the animal is well-fed and well prepared for that.
During the training period the wild animal has the company of a dog, while in the family's house and even after, when he is in his cage.

A funny thing I saw was, there was a dog in the tiger's cage. the tiger was very calm and the dog was agitated barking for a horse.

Oh yes, llamas, deers, ducks, geese, bovines, horses, Hares, and other species all stay free out of cages most of the day, and it's very interesting when before nightfall they are all guided to their cages as if they were automatons.

Was I crazy to go into such an adventure? Well they don't force you to do anything. I was shown it was safe and was confident it was safe - and it really was safe and IS safe.

I am on vacation now. I'm doing everything I did last vacation. South of Brazil + Paraguay + Chile and Argentina in February. I've already set aside a whole day just for Lujan. I didn't see the elephants and the camels (they stink!). I entered neither the wolves nor the bears' cages. This time Will. I'll write another review on the Lujan's zoo as a flesh and bones, not as a ghost.

3  Thank Jonas C
Reviewed November 27, 2011

Zoo Lujan was easily our favorite excursion in/around Buenos Aires! You will never see a zoo like this in the US. You can touch the lions, tigers, elephants, etc. The lion drank milk from my hand. It was an absolutely incredible experience!

Getting there was not so fantastic. It was a bit confusing, trying to get the right bus. You can catch a bus across the street from Jardin Zoologico (see the map I put in the attraction website spot). It was 25 pesos round trip, per person. The bus ride took at least an hour (each way) and it wasn't clear where we were to get off. Once you're out of the city, be sure to tell the bus driver that you're going to Zoo Lujan.

The zoo offered a few snacks, but I would bring your own! The eating area is next to the monkey area and was just swarming with flies. The bathrooms were very nice.

7  Thank noodleztourelmundo
Reviewed August 1, 2011

We love Zoo Lujan. If you go there, contact guide Jeff (buenosairesjef@gmail.com). He and his daughter Pamela have a great tour.

3  Thank deboracp