“Pleasant surprise”

Ranked #1 of 3 Venafro B&B and Inns
Wiscasset, Maine
“Pleasant surprise”
Reviewed March 2, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I traveled with my mother to Italy from the US to sightsee, and to visit our family in Santa Maria del Molise. Dimora Del Prete was our stop before the relatives. Our experience there was wonderful, and a highlight of our trip. Our first night there we had dinner on the rooftop terrace with several other people from different countries. The food and drinks were outstanding, the company interesting. A fantastic show of fireworks ended this magical night. Breakfast in the salon the next morning was excellent, as well. I look forward to visiting Italy again, and will be sure to put venafro and Dimora Del Prete on the top of my list to revisit. Thank you Dorothy for a memorable stay.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Maria P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Klagenfurt, Austria
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Is a wonderful place if you need some days to stay in Venafro. And old building with a lot of history and character as well as Mrs. Dorothy (owner) and Mrs. Maria. The Breakfast nice and enough and as I was for Christmas to the family I didn't have to eat in Venafro so I can't say what is there to visit as restaurants. At Dimora del Prete I felt welcome and even if I am continuously scared of dogs the two dogs there are the most happy dogs I ever seen. The entire experience is like sleeping in a museum you have to appreciate the originality and if you search high tech modern hotel don't go there. And yes take and make the house tour it is interesting. For 4 nights was nice and combine art with functionality. I will come back again. And in my room I had free WiFi.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank MihaTab
aberdeen, scotland
Reviewed October 3, 2013

From the south maintain a straight line along the main entrance route, thro an arch and traffic lights, a slight chicane posed by a roundabout (left then hard right) up a cobbled street to the last one way passage on the right. Around 70 mtrs turn into a "square" and park. The entrance gate to the Palazzo is just around the (diagonal) corner. Now the public rooms are spectacular and the owner Dorothy is an absolute treasure but there are 62 steps (no lift) to the bedrooms (somewhat spartan) Better perhaps to leave your luggage in the car and take out what you need. There are also 2 dogs, the larger of which escaped when I opened the external doorway; believe me you dont want to spend 10-15 minutes in hot sun trying to recapture a dog - it had returned by the next morning. A great building, being restored as witnessed by the new windows and shutters. the town itself is off the tourist trail - good local wine for 2 euros per bottle and two litres of lager served in a local cafe with lovely cake for 4euro Nought much else apart from the drive to Cassino

Room Tip: Yeah we didnt have a key for the room door and as far as I knew we were alone in an enormous establi...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank patbarron
dimoradelprete, Proprietario at Dimora del Prete di Belmonte, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Dear guests, thank you very much for your positive review. I would like to rectify some of what you said. First of all I hope to have you again as my very welcome guests so that you can visit the very special destinations in Venafro, such as the Pandone Castle (www.molise.beniculturali.it) with his unique frescoes depicting horses in natural size, the very interesting Archaeological Museum with the oldest chess found in Europe, the Roman theatre, the amphitheatre, the Cathedral of eleventh century, the baroque church Annunziata and much more in the old center of the town. Unfortunately as my house is historic I can not change anything and I would never have the permission for a lift. I can not afford to have staff all day, but one of the maids who come every morning will help you with your luggage. My dogs are very well trained, they never go in the dining rooms and in the guests rooms, some times when the front door is open they like to go out but they come back by themselfs shortly, so I am very sorry you have spent time uselessy to let them in. Finally all my bedrooms have balconies with great view on the mountains and some of them also on the valley of the Volturno river and they are all furnished with antique furniture from my family. Dorothy
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 12, 2013

This is a handsome palazzo in a town that we've visited before and like very much. The decorative frescoes with their trompe-l'oeil elements and Renaissance-style 'grotesques', family crests and painted vistas, the collections of objects and books, the general three-centuries-old feel of the place are all marvellous. The bedroom we had is roomy, unpretentious and serviceable. Dorothy made us feel welcome on our first evening, arranging too for dinner at the excellent La Viuzza restaurant; and her account of the del Prete family was interesting. I felt, however, that a hint of 'lady of the manor' distancing was there. There was a feeling of exclusion from the exalted goings-on of this, I suppose, still-important local family. And the price, for what you get and relative to the region in which you are getting it, is steep. Still, if you are passing through Molise or visiting Saepinum, the wondrous sleeping ruin of a BC Roman city south of Campobasso, you could do significantly worse.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nisha09
England
Reviewed June 4, 2012

Dorothy is a charming hostess who runs this small B and B business in a lovely small Palazzo in historic Venafro. It's not cheap, but nor is the upkeep of such beautiful places which are part of the complex heritage of italy. Dorothy showed us the private rooms of the building, some beautifully restored others awaiting attention. Our relatively basic bed room was fine with a small en suite shower and loo and comfortable bed. The breakfast was magnificent, with fresh farm produce.

The only downside is the proximity of church bells, which sound the hour every 15 minutes. Be aware, they may not worry you but they did make sleep less than perfect for us. However other guest were not bothered at all.

Room Tip: An air con room may mean you can close windows against the bells. There are no issues with traffic...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank exbiztraveller
Manchester
Reviewed February 24, 2012

We stayed here for two nights on our way back from Puglia to Rome. The Palazzo is tucked away in the old town. With directions from the people in a local bar we found it easily.
After we arrived, and had a chance to freshen up, we had tea and cake on the roof terrace with Dorothy our host. She made us feel most welcome. There were no other guests staying so we had the whole place more or less to ourselves. Our room was lovely with a balcony and stunning views across the surrounding countryside. The interior of the palazzo is extraordinary with a great swooping staircase, wall frescoes and a sense of antiquity. On our second night, Dorothy cooked a delicious meal for us with many of the ingredients coming from her own farm, including olive oil, tomatoes and the wine! It is quite the best B&B we have ever stayed at.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank AlmondCroissant
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 18, 2011

A beautiful quiet place to stay in and a really warm reception. Everything was nice. No snags. We will return every time we can.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Steve M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Venafro
Fonte del Benessere Resort
Fonte del Benessere Resort
#1 of 2 in Castelpetroso
No photo provided
Con.Te Bed & Breakfast
#2 of 3 in Venafro
Resort San Pietro - La Terrazza sulla Storia
Resort San Pietro - La Terrazza ...
#1 of 2 in San Pietro Infine

Been to Dimora del Prete di Belmonte? Share your experiences!