“I LIKED IT!”

Grand Hotel Ischia Lido
Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in Ischia Porto
Reviewed November 1, 2012

We were on a tour of Stay and Visit, and this was their hotel. I liked it there, it was close to the water. I had a balcony in my room and it looked so European!
The hotel is within walking distance to everything you need: shopping, restaurants, the boats.
There is no internet in the hotel. We looked for a sign and there was another hotel close to the area where you board the ship, that had internet. You go to the desk and they sell you a card to use make sure you log off, or your minutes will be used up. You can sit there and they let you use their space feely. The internet usage is not something you find easy.
This was an all inclusive hotel, and the food was okay. However, we wanted to eat something different. The restaurant personel was outstanding.

Room Tip: There were rooms in the other side, and I am not sure if they face the water. You might want to ask...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank floribel071

Reviewed May 12, 2012

I'm surprised at the low rating for this hotel. Just returned from a trip to Rome, then Ischia, then Sorrento and have found Tripadvisor invaluable when selecting the Rome and Sorrento hotels, restaurants and local info. However, on the basis of Tripadvisor reports, if I hadn't been to this hotel before I may not have considered it.

What do you want from a hotel? Basically I want a good location, easily reachable, good clean room, helpful staff, good food and ideally close to the beach and a nice pool.

In my opinion Aurum Ischia Porto has all of these. I've been there three times now and will certainly return. You will not get five star facilities and fancy waiter service, but I think we had good value for money in a lovely location, on a beautiful Italian island.

We had a seaview room (the sea being only 10 metres away), with a nice balcony and a view over the bay of Naples, and easy access to a private beach with loungers etc. The hotel is just down from the main street between Ischia Porto and Ischia Ponte, which is ideal for an after dinner stroll. It is only a relatively short walk, through a great shopping area, to the ferry, the harbour, a supermarket, and the bus terminus from where you take trips to all parts of the island. There is also picturesque walk along coastal streets to Ischia Ponte with it's Aragonese castle.

The other guests were virtually all Italian, just a few Germans and us. The restaurant was quite full every night and it had a good atmosphere (may be a bit noisy, and not reserved enough for some people). Lunch and dinner were on a buffet basis, with a salad bar and generally a short queue to be served with the starter and main course. Good food and good variety. Usually a choice of two pasta starters or soup, a main of either fish and two meat choices, or pizza etc.

Enjoyable stay from start to finish.

Room Tip: Seaview rooms are a bit more expensive but worth it.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank englishitalyfan
Reviewed May 7, 2012

We were booked for April 14, 2012 and because of bad weather, we were unable to take the ferry to the island. We contacted the hotel by 3PM to advise them and cancel our reservation. We were able to get to Ischia the next day and stayed five nights. They were very inconsiderate and refused to refund any of our $198.00 that we paid for that night.
We also contacted Stay and Visit Italy in Sarasota. They were also very inconsiderate. During our stay, another excursion to the Amalfi Coast was cancelled because of the weather. Stay and Visit did not provide an alternate option and we had to pay our own way to LaMortella Gardens on Ischia. This option cost less than the money they saved on a ferry ride to the Amalfi Coast.
Very poor public relations. Stay away from this tour if want to see the Amalfi Coast and surrounding areas.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Henry V
Reviewed April 20, 2012

Well located and functional hotel, in a quaint little town where sadly almost everything is massively overpriced. Yes the hotel is a little tired but generally clean/tidy and the food is both plentiful and of good quality. At around 230 euro per person (full board,with water to drink) I felt our 'out of season' winter week was good value. BUT be aware of the compulsory purchase of 'tokens’ to buy drinks, these are NON-refundable!!!

Note: there is a good 'sensibly' priced supermarket in the town 10-15 min walk from this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Giallo964rs
Reviewed June 9, 2011

Our large group from the USA and Canada did not have a good time, lots of complants about the hotel. I have used lots of hotels in USA and Europe and this at best is 2 Star. He needs to change his advertiseing..
Be warned not for USA customers, they charge for ketchup , table charges, bread even when not ordered, and lots of other extras. We had lots of complaints about these called 4 Star resturant buffet style meals you can get better at Golden Corral , Breakfast is basic contental style definity not a Hotel that is supposed to be a 4 star . Please take look at my pictures from my hotel room. I stayed in May 2011.
The owner who lives in Sarasota Florida in an extremly expensive area. need to spend money on mantaince. Some rooms were very good. My bag got taken by proter and put outside another room on another floor and they could not find it .

Room Tip: Good Location ,But use another Hotel on island
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank CreativeToursFl
Reviewed June 7, 2011

i thought this was a very poor tour to much time on your hands had to walk everywhere should have had a shuttle for people that has a hard time walking i fell tour director went with us but she did not follow thru with anything also i thought very rude
I did keep up with walking but it is not right
Beds were very bad,spa was not clean
They did not do tour s inf to much shopping time so it was a waste of time the tour director should have told us we could take a bus tour around the islands that we visited
Food was the worst i have ever had thought Italy was well know for good food we even had to go out & eat it was that bad

Room Tip: make sure you read reviews
  • Stayed: May 2011
Reviewed July 28, 2008

If you have unmannered, undiscipline kids between the ages of 3 - 18.., this is the place to go. (Children go for free). They can run wild without any supervision or concern for the other hotel guests or mature activities.
The ball room in the evenings is overrun with loud kids music, games, and screaming kids. (Mature, adult activities are not available).
The card tables.., for those who wish to spend an evening playing cards, are located in the ball room where they are unusable due to the noise and minimum lighting. (When I ask if I could move one to a useable area I was told by management that that was not possible).
The restaurant food is high in quantity but low is quality. One weeks stay of blend food is maximum before one seeks good food outside.
General maintenance on primary facilities, i.e., awnings, patio chairs, windows is lacking. (I paid extra for a seaview room and was unable to use the terrace in the afternoons because of heat, sunshine.., and non functioning awning. It appeared the awning had not been repaired is years).
In short... THIS IS NOT THE HOTEL FOR AN ADULT COUPLE WHO WISH TO SPEND A HAPPY HOLIDAY ON A BEAUTIFUL ISLAND FILLED WITH CHARM.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
#2 of 12 in Ischia Porto
Hotel Antonella
Hotel Antonella
#10 of 12 in Ischia Porto

Been to Grand Hotel Ischia Lido? Share your experiences!