“High expectations ... lead to disappointment.”

and 1 more site!
Domaine de Rochevilaine
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Billiers
Perigueux, France
“High expectations ... lead to disappointment.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

I had high expectations of staying at this property. Part of Relais and Chateaux, together with a Michelin Star. Reception and breakfast staff were all friendly and highly competent. The basic rooms are described as 'Junior Suites' .. which they're not. They're also a little 'tired' & rather 70s or even 80s in decor. Fortunately there were no mosquitoes, so I slept with the window open and had the wonderful sound of the sea. The rooms are not air conditioned, as mentioned in a previous mention. The rooms above the swimming pool felt very warm, as I was shown two types of room. The swimming pool is lovely, but I did not find the hammam hot enough.

I asked for cakes with my afternoon coffee, and was told that coffee comes with cake. The coffee came with two tasteless biscuits. I was prepared to pay for more cake. Dinner was mediocre, and I found the waiting staff slightly on the 'stand offish' side. The wine waiter was the most pleasant.

Room Tip: Sadly TripAdvsior fails to see that there is a grade of 'Good' between 'average' and...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Bullfrog24260
Domaine_Rochevilaine, Propriétaire at Domaine de Rochevilaine, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Dear Client,
Thank you to you for taking the time to write a comment. Your stay you disappointed and we regret. Let me respond from some of your comments :
- The rooms are all different, and continually turn "refreshed". We are sorry if the decor lacked modernity (and air conditionned) to your taste, but we want to keep their authentic and classic characters.
- The Chef cuisine, the most popular of our customers and food critics, seems not to have liked. In terms of cuisine, from the subjectivity of taste, it is very difficult (or even impossible) to achieve unanimity, even if we want to do the best.
We hope that your stay will leave you a good memory despite this.
Best regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for two nights last week as part of our driving holiday round Normandy and Brittany.

What's good: Amazing views from the terraces, bedroom, dining room and bar. Friendly service from front desk and restaurant staff (with only very occasional moments of French hauteur). Lovely room with four-poster bed. Delicious breakfasts served in the room. Beautiful seafood restaurant. While I try to speak French, the staff were happy to drop back into English when things got complicated (e.g. menu French!).

What's not so good: The outside air temperature was around 25-28 degrees but the room was much hotter because of the slate roof and no air-conditioning. It was impossible to have a shower because there was no shower curtain and the shower head didn't go high enough so it was bathe or nothing; which is inconvenient when it's hot. To be honest, this meant we had a couple of bad nights' sleep and got bitten very badly by mosquitoes which came in through the open windows. Also, nothing much for vegetarians - but I become a fish-eater in France (it's that or starve!).

Room Tip: There is one room with air-conditioning at a hefty surcharge; but if the weather is likely to be hot...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank HungryPerson
Northamptonshire, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2012

Once again, the weather was disappointing for the time of year, and we were unable to enjoy the outdoor areas as much as we would have liked. Having said that, despite the managers' response to my last report, (whereby he stated that more comfortable seating could be arranged for anyone who was unable to access the loungers by the steps to the swimming pool area) there was no evidence of these. The gardens which were being transformed during our last two visits, are now stunning. Great planting and immaculaltely kept.
Car parking is still a problem, made worse during our stay by a wedding - we had to park in the road nearby albeit we do have the disabled badge. I don't think this is acceptable for resident guests.
Our rooms, as always - were very good. Side of the hotel, sea view, quiet, no aircon which can be a problem if it is really hot, but not for us this time. Very good housekeeping service, very clean and well appointed.
Restaurant and bar staff were friendly and efficient, one or two remembered us from previous visits. We speak French but any queries on our menu were explained. The food was very good, but felt it had 'lost the edge'. Lobster was ridiculously priced with the supplement and the charges for the wine was again over the top, considering we purchased exactly the same down the local supermarket about 20 euro cheaper. I know they have to make a profit etc etc., but taking the mickey is not on.
However, on the whole we enjoyed our dining experiences. I still do not like the breakfast menu set up, and cant understand why the menu is just one, inclusive of all that is offered in the separate menus.
Reception was good, staff efficient and friendly.
My main negative thoughts were twofold: this is becoming more of a spa/healthcentre than a 5 star hotel and I personally do not like to be surrounded by people in white dressing gowns - particularly after 6 p.m. I dont want to feel as if I am in a clinic!
Secondly, if we are paying about £100 per meal, I object to sharing my dining area with pets, large and small in close proximity, nor do I think that people should be allowed into the dining room in track suits and t shirts. Call me old fashioned, but if these hotels wish to set themselves apart for high standards in all areas, then these 'little' complaints should be taken on board.
Having said all this, I would still recommend this hotel for a break, the locality is stunning, and despite the weather there are still plenty of places to visit in the area. I hope next time we go the sun will shine and we shall benefit from the outdoor pool and the terrace, and gardens.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Time Travellers' Wife
County Cavan, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2012

It has been a little time since my visit but Domaine de Rochevilaine lives well in the memory. It is a good place for food lovers. We stayed here on various recommendations and it certainly lived up to its reputation.

The dining experience was very good, even if the waiting staff made little or no effort to explain the dishes. My companion and I have only rudimentary French and we were made to feel it! But everything else about this place was excellent.

The menu was varied and interesting (although we were left to guess some of it when choosing) and the wine list was very solid and provided great choice.It was a very busy place, however, and this was not high season. The patrons were exclusively French and some German and then there was us - Irish. We stayed for a couple of days and the experience was very positive.

The accommodation was very pleasant with a view of the sea and a brisk walk after breakfast was very good. This place is a long way from most places, except Vannes, and after the long drive from Tours with lots of choices available along the way, one might have regrets. But no, it was well worth the drive and effort to get there. This place reminds one of another Michelin star restaurant at Ardmore in County Waterford in ireland - in terms of location by the sea and the cliffs and the challenges posed in getting there. But that is where the comparison ends! Domaine de Rochevelaine was a most pleasant experience. But be prepared because it was busy and slightly impersonal we felt.

The preparation and the presentation of the dishes were excellent and the service was acceptable. The wine list was a bit overpriced in places, we felt, but it offered lots of temptations nonetheless. The dining area became very very warm as the evening progressed. This was due to a combination of the weather and the large number of diners. For these reasons the experience was diminished somewhat. Nevertheless we really had a memorable stay at Domaine de Rochevilaine. We hope to return.

There was a rather interesting little gallery attached to the venue which is worth a visit.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Coolnacarrick
, Directeur général at Domaine de Rochevilaine, responded to this review, June 25, 2012
Dear Client,
We would like to thank you for your comment and for coming back. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay at the Domaine de Rochevilaine, but we are sorry if our dishes were not clearly explained to you in english, be assured that we will try to improve this point of our support service.
Once again, thank you for your post and we hope the Domaine de Rochevilaine will continue to live well in your memory!
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2012

The unique situation and excellent food are the main reasons to come here.You will never experience a choice of breakfast like this with a range from oysters to home pressed tongue. We risked the chefs choice gourmet menu with accompanying wines and it was the best meal we had in France.It included langoustine,lobster,turbot and pigeon all of which we would have ordered from the menu. The accompanying wines added to the gastronomic experience and the views from the dining room are incredible.All served with panache-unforgettable.

• Stayed June 2012
Dear Client,
We would like to say a special thank you for your comment. We are delighted to see you enjoyed your stay at the Domaine de Rochevilaine and appreciated our gastronomic cuisine. We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you soon in our hotel.
Jerusalem
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2012

This restaurant is part of a most wonderful and unique Relais Chateaux hotel in the southern part of Britanny, France.
We ate an excellent lunch while seated next to the bay windows overlooking the sea. Although the restaurant is very high class, there was a very informal and family-oriented atmosphere. A special children's menu was served to the 5 year old who ate with us. Everything from the food, to the wine, to the tableware was superb, though quite expensive. The hotel grounds are beautiful as well and we are considering spending a nightor two there next time. Highly recommended.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank SaraJerusalem
Domaine_Rochevilaine, Propriétaire at Domaine de Rochevilaine, responded to this review, April 25, 2012
Dear Client,
We would like to say a special thank you for your comment. We are delighted to receive a positive rating and much more to read that you would like to come back a next time at the Domaine de Rochevilaine.
Jersey channel Islands
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2012

My Husband and I intended to stay here for 3 nights in August 2011 as part of our Honeymoon/ mini moon but left after 24 hours we were so appalled by the rudeness of the staff.To compensate us, we received a free Gin and Tonic off our bill.

On arrival the grounds are impressive, but the decor inside our room was in my opinion no more than a 3 star hotel. We arrived at lunchtime ready to dine and have something light, but being a non meat eater, I was informed that I could not eat off menu or have any variation at all. The menu did not come with any translation or description which required us having to call someone over to help us translate which clearly was all too much trouble. When I asked if it was possible to have a slight alternative I was informed by the Maitre D that " this is a Chateaux and Relais establishment". I felt embarrassed and really small.

Prior to dinner, we waited in the lounge area for pre dinner drinks, and were given some lovely looking canapés... We were presented with menu's, and then had to wait over an hour for someone to take our order. It really was shocking!

At dinner the same Maistre D was rude and on selecting bottle of wine with our meal were informed that they had run out.

The irony of this place is that there are signs which read that the restaurant has a dress code , yet at breakfast a French couple were sat next to us with a three-legged Alsatian under the table, and couples sat in their robes.

Breakfast was probably the final straw having watched all the staff serve all the French guests first, even though we had been sat in the restaurant for quite some time prior to them arriving. We sat for 30 minutes before someone came to take our breakfast order at which point we decided to walk out.

My Husband and I complained and explained we wanted to leave and asked to be refunded for the two additional nights and even this seemed to be a struggle. We explained that it was our honeymoon which had been ruined, and I sat in the car and cried.

I am pleased to say we then drove to THE BRITTANY in Roscoff another Chateaux & Relais Hotel which was absolutely out of this world. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff and the Hotel was a complete contrast to where we had just come from and how badly we had been treated.

On our return home, we wrote to Chateaux and Relais and complained about our stay in Domaine ... We received a letter about a month later telling us they had never received any similar complaints and weren't really bothered. Your honeymoon is such a special time, and sadly the first 24 hours were completely ruined by rude, ignorant staff. I would never go back.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
9 Thank StClementsgirl
Also consider these accommodations in or near Billiers
Hotel de la Plage
Hotel Restaurant L'Albatros
BEST WESTERN Le Roof
BEST WESTERN Le Roof
#3 of 32 in Vannes

Been to Domaine de Rochevilaine? Share your experiences!