All reviews other guests the owner punta allen dirt road conch shells cold beer off the beaten path family style remote beach natural reserve beautiful beach restaurant area quintana roo the entire trip treetop house mosquito net unique experience
Reviewed November 13, 2010

We decided to go to Sian Kaan for a weekend and it wasn't what we expected. The owner had said it was an hour for Tulum, but it took us three hours. If you go there make sure you rent a 4x4 vehicle. That wasn’t the problem. We were expecting paradise, a remote pristine beach. Don’t expect that. I had never seen so much garbage in a beach before, not even in Acapulco. This was not only on the coast but also in the hotel property. The people that run the place are very nice, they were very helpful. Then, after we settled in we decided to go for a walk on the trash beach. I will post a picture so you have an idea. After we got back it started raining. We wanted to take a hot bath but guess what, no hot water. We weren’t expecting a very fancy place, we were expecting the hotel to be simple, but the owner again had said there was hot water. There is no restaurant as the owner mentions; Francisca cooked for us some quesadillas. We couldn’t sleep much.
The next morning we decided to go back even though we had paid for 3 nights, we didn’t want to stay on a “pristine” beach full of garbage, where there wasn’t hot water, and nothing much to do. We stayed at a very nice hotel in Tulum. When we got back I emailed the owner saying that he should try to clean his hotel at least and maybe a couple of yards of the beach from each side. I also asked for a refund for the nights we didn’t stay for what he sells is false advertising. I never heard back from him. Then I posted a review and guess what, I got a couple of nasty emails saying that I was going to hurt the family that lives there by posting it. I don’t want to do that. As I say, the people there are super nice, friendly and helpful; they are the best part of the hotel. He said the garbage was not his problem. I happen to disagree. I have my house clean even if the whole city is not. He said he was going to refund the money and it hasn’t happened to date.
Don’t take me wrong, Sian Kaan is a magnificent place, you should really go there, there are some very nice hotels in Tulum. If you decide to stay at Xamach Dos make sure you have all the details clear with the owner, I don’t feel he is very honest. I am sure you can have a nice time there if you go there expecting what is really there.

Date of stay: September 2010
5  Thank cecisimon
Xamachdan, Owner at Xamach Dos, responded to this reviewResponded November 17, 2010

These are the same people who wrote the review below. They arrived the night after a big storm dumped alot of debris on our beach, which is cleaned every day. They left the next day, threatening a bad Trip Advisor review if I did not give them money back. The picture is of the beach 2 km south of us, that piece of driftwood has been there for years.
We would not be ranked #1 in the Sian Ka'an if Xamach was as she writes. i am sorry, I have worked hard on this place to make it a special place, as shown by our 26 5 star reviews, and will not be blackmailed.

Reviewed November 5, 2010

While the hotel is what you would expect from beach bungalows in the middle of a Mexican national park, the excesive amount of garbage on the beach made for a very disappointing trip. Even the hotel beachfront was littered with garbage! The hotel staff was very nice and explained that the trash washes on shore after being dumped at sea by the cruise ships which sail up to Cozumel and as such could do nothing about it. We were dispointed that this was never mentioned when we booked our room and made a very long trip quite dissapointing. We ended up staying only one out of three nights and instead moved to Tulum which was great.

Date of stay: October 2010
4  Thank Erik W
Reviewed October 26, 2010

We enjoyed our stay at Xamach Dos a lot. We travelled in Mexico for 4 weeks and stayed a lot of different places - but Xamach Dos is our absolute favorite. The host Chris treated us very well and made us feel like close friends of the house. Francisca cooked great mexican dishes for us. Even though the drive from Tulum to Xamach Dos was very tough it was worth every minute. We would definitely go back to Xamach Dos :)

Date of stay: July 2010
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed September 28, 2010

First and foremost Xamach Dos is pronounced Camach Dos
My Husband and I got through the road to Sian Ka’an Reserve. Thought about turning back a couple of times but decided not too because we had already paid for our four night stay. (I now know why they have you pay up front, because if they didn’t I don’t think many people would get through the road to Xamach Dos.)
It took us two hours to make it through the road once you go under the Arch way into the Reserve and pay your fee up front. If you survive the pot holes, you will get to a small sign on your left side (I recommend you rent a 4x4 auto). You will see that the sign says 32 or 38 Km, don’t pay attention to that you have arrived (that’s just the address for Xamach Dos).
We stayed in the Tree House very clean and Romantic, we felt like we were in Gilligan’s Inland. Beautiful Beach, great reef and the food was home style delicious!!
We had paid for 4 night stay, but because of the extreme humidity and the horse flies, sand fleas and mosquitoes that came out to feast on our American blood we left 2 day early. (We used Off Repellent and a Repellent from Belize, they did not work.)
All in all the food, room, and beach was breath taking. I would recommend this little Oases’, but not from June to Sept., anytime after that would be great. Keep in mind if you do not fish and don’t mind spending your vacation laying in a hammock reading, or swimming, this is the place for you. If you want to take advantage of any of the tours available (bird watching, snorkeling and swimming the Mayan made canals) through www.siankaantours.org I would make sure to book this online before getting to your destination(they are about 30-45 mins back through the pot hole road). I was told that Chris the Manager would be able to set the trip up for us once we got into Xamach Dos but he was not able to get info on the phone. Thanks to Chris, Francesca’s and Francesca’s Family for your hospitality!!

Date of stay: September 2010
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Xamachdan, Owner at Xamach Dos, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2010

I arrived October 4, and yes, the road is much worse than usual, due to a very rainy low season.
They are supposed to re-grade in November, which will make the drive to our little resort much more pleasant and take much less time (usually 45 minutes from Tulum)
September and October are probably the least appealing months here, with storms rolling through, the rain attracting more bugs, the biting flies are a annual event, usually lasting a month or so during this time.
I have often considered not being open in September and October for fear of a less than stellar review which does not reflect the majority of opinions of Xamach Dos. November to June are incredibly beautiful here, an experience that can be found nowhere else.
We are one of the last remaining total.ly secluded beach resorts in the Yucatan, and still the #1 rated place in the Sian Ka'an, with many return visitors, and many great reviews.
I look foward to a great high season while continuing to improve the Xamach Dos experience.
Dan Hazard,
Owner-Xamach Dos

Reviewed August 27, 2010

Despite arriving with a sick husband (bad street food somewhere else...not the Yucatan), our stay at Xamach Dos was better than we had expected or hoped for. The manager, Chris, was an incredible host: very attentive to my husband's sick belly, full of wonderful stories and information, and an excellent kayaking/snorkel guide. The road less taken to the b&b is a bit of a trial, but the destination is well worth it. Beautiful room (tree house), tranquil beach, great quality and quantity of food, and local (very local) Mayan ruins. It also seems to attract friendly and relaxed visitors. We hope to return soon. Thank you!!

Date of stay: August 2010