“Great food, but keep it simpler”

Ristoria Nonna Pappa
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Milton Keynes, England, United Kingdom
“Great food, but keep it simpler”
Reviewed September 21, 2013

Not actually in Soriano, rather just off the Orte-Viterbo Superstrada.
Huge menu, especially the pasta section. Everything we had was very good, apart from the boring chickpea salad starter, just a big bowl of cous cous, with some chopped tomato and a bit of rucola. The lamb, scottaditto, hard to get in this region, without it being like bony sticks, was tasty. The beef with spices was satisfyingly tender, although not particularly 'spicy'. We got a lovely wine, Lazio Sangiovese. Very cheerful and friendly waiter.
Helpful suggestion to chef/owner: your menu just too vast, very interesting but makes choice difficult, why not 'rotate' the dishes, give us 15 at a time, not 50. With such a huge number of dishes, it's difficult to see how everything can be fresh and anyway it's good to work with the seasons.

• Visited September 2013

New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“I'm leaving New York City and pitching a tent in front of Nonna Pappa.”
Reviewed May 25, 2013

Okay so, I've traveled Italy up and down, coast to coast, and I've eaten typical foods from different regions of Italy...but there's absolutely NOTHING that compares to my personal heaven: Nonna Pappa. Every time I come to Italy, I NEED to go to this little rustic and cozy restaurant at least once during my trip. Aside from the homely restaurant and the very nice owners and staff (more like a family), the food is absolutely fantastic. Everything is fresh, made right in their kitchen, and innovative! We were a group of 4, and each of us spent €35, which is about $45, but the price was completely modest for the amount of food we ate...we ate like kings (and queens)! 2 bowls of homemade fried chips, ravioli styled pasta filled with mashed pear and walnut sauce (finger-lickin', bread-spreading, deliciously good), an assortment of mouthwatering new and aged cheeses with varying dips, gnocchi with spek and brie (potato-filled pasta with a type of ham and cheese), millefoglie (pastry covered in cream and strawberries), and ice cream and wine that the owner invented HIMSELF...yes ladies and gents, INVENTED! We were absolutely and fantastically FULL at the end, but it's not an overwhelming feeling of being full, but more of a drowsy state of appetite satisfaction; my stomach thanks me every time I visit Nonna Pappa. The owner is also a wonderful man whose priority is to make sure his customers try different things and are happy with him. He's so creative with the recipes he invents, and his very lucky customers are the ones who try all of the new ideas that pop into that brilliant man's head! Really? Who would have thought of putting mashed pear into pasta, and drizzling the pasta with melted cheese and walnut sauce? My mouth's watering...I'll conclude with this: until next time Nonna Pappa! I love you and so do my taste buds :-)

• Visited May 2013
Bromley
“Imaginative menu in delightful surroundings”
Reviewed July 6, 2012

During our two week holiday we have visited twice and are going back for a 3rd visit tonight. Wildly enthusiastic host who suggests the"tapas" to start and then if you still have any space go on to the menu. Lots of very interesting dishes not least the stuffed courgette flowers.

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank sbaileyBromley
rome
“creativity within tradition”
Reviewed May 29, 2012

a small restaurant (they call themselves ristoria that is an invented word formed by "restaurant" plus "trattoria") where the chef Fidelia changes the menu according to season and the market. At the walls paintings and work of art by Fidelia's father Giuseppe di Nunzio an artist who is quoted in several art books. (if yoyu fancy any of them you can buy them!)
Very good ratio price/quality.
I especuially enjoyed the home made pasta.

• Visited May 2012