“Friendly staff but not such a great experience with the salad...”
Review of Hillside

Hillside
Ranked #5 of 21 Restaurants in Hillsborough
Cuisines: Gastropub
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Hillside is a charming, rustic pub situated in the historic Georgian village of Hillsborough, County Down, only 15 minutes drive from Belfast city centre. The Hillside first opened its doors to patrons in 1752 and has been enjoying a busy trade ever since thanks to our excellent food and drinks selection and our friendly, welcoming service. We are renowned for our roaring open fires in the winter and our pretty cobble stoned beer garden in the summer. Food served daily. Large parties catered for. Private room available.
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Friendly staff but not such a great experience with the salad...”
Reviewed April 26, 2014

My mum and I ordered a camembert platter for two. It was nicely presented and very tasty (especially the grape chutney), but we found some bugs crawling in our salad, which put us off the meal. The staff were friendly and took the food off the bill for us, but I probably won't be back.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank C K

Lisburn
“Excellent service and good food”
Reviewed April 24, 2014

We visited The Hillside on Easter Monday for a late lunch, booking late but having no problem getting a table although the restaurant was still pretty busy. My daughter and I opted for the spinach lasagne which I had enjoyed on a previous visit and has earned its reputation on the menu. It was equally good this time around. My husband had the burger which he enjoyed although it was slightly overcooked for his taste (no real complaints though). What I'd like to mention particularly was the service. Our waiter, Jamie, was a delightful young man; pleasant and helpful in equal measure and a real credit to the restaurant. It is such a joy these days to be able to say that when service and manners can sometimes be questionable in eating establishments. Well done The Hillside and your lovely staff - keep it up.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank Tavak4
“Great country cooking served in a rustic setting.”
Reviewed March 19, 2014

This resteraunt has a brilliant rustic interior and serves really tastey local country recipes. Staff are warm and welcoming, food is brilliant & reasonably priced, decor is worthy to visit just by itself.
The only thing that was a small let down was the coffee, it was a little overpriced.

Wootton Bridge, United Kingdom
“Warm and cosy”
Reviewed March 14, 2014

If you want good home cooked food in a relaxed and cosy atmosphere then you will not be disappointed with the Hillside. The staff are very helpful and willing to mix the menu around which as a vegetarian is always welcome.

Belfast, United Kingdom
“First visit will definitely be back!”
Reviewed March 6, 2014

My family and I visited the Hillside for the first time on Sunday after a lovely walk around Hillsborough Forest Park. As soon as we walked through the door we were greeted by a beautiful open fire and live traditional Irish music. We were then directed to the back of the buliding which is the restaurant, we were greeted by a lovely young woman who brought us down to a table near another open fire and we ordered drinks which we recieved promplty.

We then ordered our food, the kids menu was fantastic which consisted of 3 courses for only £6.50 and all brillant options such as scampi and chips and a chicken dinner. I ordered the mussels and the roast chcken, my husband had the wood pigeon and the ultimate burger.

Our starters arrived in good time and were absolutely delcious the sauce my mussels were in was so good I ordered more bread just to soak it up. My husbands pigeon was lovely as well.

The main course was just as good, needless to say it was clean plates all round including the children's which doesn't happen all to often.
My husband ventured onto dessert, he got the homemade rhubarb crumble which was georgeous, would even give mine a run for its money.

The staff also are to be creditted they were attentive and very friendly, my son wanted chocolate cake but was too full, I asked one of the waiting staff it it was possible to bring it home with us, this was no problem they brought it down in a container and told me how to heat it.

All in all we had a wonderful experience and the food and service was fantastic. We will definitely return for the excellent service and the mussels!