“Expensive with such small portions.”

Cellini Wine & Dine
Ranked #1 of 26 Restaurants in Naxxar
Cuisines: Wine Bar
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Cellini is a quaint wine bar & bistro situated in the heart of the village of Naxxar, Malta. It is named after Piju Cellini, a reputable designer and painter born in 1863, the designer and maker of the town's parish church door, the first bronze door in Malta at that time.But why name it after Pio Cellini? This house was built by Vincenzo Bonavia towards the middle of the 19th century and the coat of arms on the entrance door shows the griffon, a symbol of Christ representing the right road (‘Bona’ + ‘Via’). Dun Salvatore Bonavia, only son of six children of Vincenzo, lived here till he died in 1946. Dun Salv had served on the committee set up in the early years of the 20th century to make plans and oversee the works on the widened church façade which now cried out for a much larger door. Seeing the friendship that developed between him and Cellini, one would be forgiven for thinking that Dun Salv had had a big say in the choice of the artist. Cellini was in fact a regular visitor to this house where he spent many hours with his priest friend. He did not sit in the same chair you are sitting on now, but he probably often sat in the same spot. You may wish to imagine what topics turned up in those long, relaxed and pleasant conversations; ones we wish you too are having now.Cellini Wine Bar & Bistro serves typical nibbles, platters, small eats, mouthwatering dishes prepared by our resident Chef including our popular grilled fresh rib eye, duck and other dishes. Well chosen wines from all over the world.Open all days from 11am till 3pm, 7pm till late. Monday closed for lunch.Private functions also accepted!Directions - facing the church, Cellini Wine Bar & Bistro is on the right hand side, between Naxxar Football Club and Gasan & Mamo Insurance Agency.
Qormi, Malta
“Expensive with such small portions.”
Reviewed October 30, 2013

Went there with my other half and friends. The place is done up nicely service was good. Apart from that there is nothing special about it. There is little choice in the menu and also, there is little food on the plate, especially when considering the prices. When I was served, I kept looking at the plate thinking "now where is rest of it!!"..a couple of bites and the plate is empty.Also, the taste was nothing special. Not worth visiting unless you like to spend money just to be in an old townhouse.

• Visited February 2013

Naxxar, Malta
“A sweet spot in the heart of Naxxar”
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Cellini is certinaly more a winter than a summer place. Situated in what used to be a typical 17th century townhouse, it has been restored to nice standards. There are 3 main dining areas - which are the outside veranda (which we dont like considering the traffic which drives close by), the lower bar area (which is our favourite spot) and the upstairs room (which can be very noisy if there are large groups of people). It has been around for around 3 years, and for that reason I am glad it has survived, considering that eating places in Naxxar have been budding in the recent years. Its original owners were painstakingly careful and the quality of the food used to be impeccable. One of our favourites used to be the quail caesar salad which always tasted divine every time we opted for it. It went through a make-shift period while it was changing owners, when it was looking very messy, and now that the new owners have settled in, it looks like it slowly stabilizing itself. The menu is still very similar to what it used to be, although admittedly, I do not see why a chinese platter should find itself in this sort of ambience. The chef is Italian, and quite a jolly person for that matter. He is very proud of his culinary traditions, and I think that he adores the meat that he serves. For that matter, I seriously recommend the Bistecca Fiorentina. Salads, on the other hand, do not seem to be the speciality of the house. The wine selection is good and I honestly feel that the best way to enjoy Cellini is to sit down on one of the tables and enjoy a good red over a nice cheese platter. If you are lucky, you might get to taste the home-made marmalades that the chef does himself. Service is good, and we have never had any major issues. The owner is a very nice chap, and his main waitresses are very sweet and efficient with their customers. As always, there is room for improvement, but otherwise, it is a very relaxed and serene place. Looking forward to the Sunday lunches, now that the colder months approach.

• Visited June 2013
“Amazing Sunday lunch”
Reviewed October 1, 2013 via mobile

This little bistro is situated on the corner of a quiet street. Its lovely and cool inside and out of direct sunlight outside. Now the food is amazing. We eat here all the time and the staff are very friendly. Ask for mark or emma and enjoy your meal as they look after you very well. The italian chef is an absolute delight and very talented and will cook your meal how ever you like. But if you let him prepare it how he likes you will not be disappointed. All in all the best bistro and wine bar in naxxar with a very large selection or budget to expensive wines all good.

1 Thank Alexwilliams20130
“Best sunday lunch ever!!!!!!!!”
Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

• Visited September 2013
3 Thank Alexwilliams20130
Co Kildare
“Awful black sticky sauce drizzled over ALL the food we had, why?”
Reviewed September 23, 2013

I am awarding 2 stars, 1 for the waitress, after all she cannot be held accountable for the chefs offerings and 1 for the building which is so lovely. This seems to make the awful food we had an even bigger misdemeanour given the surroundings it is cooked and served in. This was my third visit here & previous meals, while being too big were good. The food we were served in an amazingly quick time frame last night (22nd Sep) can only be described as horrendous . To be fair my prawn tempura starter would have been nice but for the addition of the God awful sticky black sauce drizzled all over them this ruined them for me. My husbands focaccia stater was again ruined by the inexplicable black sticky drizzle. However the arrival of our main courses a mere 5 minutes after the starter plates had been removed made our starters look like fine dining. I opted for chicken cacciatore, my husband had saltimbocca. Our main courses looked exactly alike. The black sticky stuff had been drizzled with gay abandon which made both main courses taste exactly alike too. This is an amazing feat given that one is chicken and one is veal. We both had a strange but identical medley of large chunks of vegetables with something I have never seen or eaten before and hopefully will never have the misfortune of seeing on my plate ever again, a rock hard, mound of cold rice. These were all served on top of liberally drizzled rocket leaves and chips. I feel sure most people would agree that chips should be served with salt, vinegar, maybe ketchup or even mayonnaise but never ever with the inexplicable black sticky stuff. My chicken was passable but most of it went to a nice ginger cat who adopted me for as long as my chicken lasted. My husbands veal by his own admission was dreadful. He at first thought it was bread such was its colour and blandness. I don't eat veal because I don't like to think of their suffering and this one unfortunately definitely died in vain. I have worked as a waitress in my younger days in a couple of nice restaurants and am lucky enough to have eaten in some lovely places down through the years and have had good and bad experiences. I sometimes marvel at how restaurants literally shoot themselves in the foot with bad service and food, the experience last night made me marvel like I had never marvelled before. It also made me sad and angry, how can they not see what they are doing? The chef in my view needs replacing, that might sound harsh but anyone who can make two completely different main courses look and taste exactly the same needs to rethink their career. The restaurant was very quiet last night we were in and out in 40mins. We sat just inside the door so therefore it makes perfect sense to keep us in there as long as possible so potential diners can look in and see customers. So why rush the food out? This also of course tells us that the awful food is not even being freshly prepared? I would not go back as you can probably gather from my review but if the manager or owner wish to contact me I am happy talk to them, if only to say they have an amazing building and potential if they get in a decent chef and stop rushing people out.

• Visited September 2013