“Poor service and expensive”
Review of Ta' Marku - CLOSED

Ta' Marku
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: www.facebook.com tamarku
Reviewed October 25, 2012

The food was not brilliant and the night we went we were given three different menus - the current one without any prices. We were shocked to find on the bill that the 7 shrimps on a bed of rocket with some potatoes cost €19.50. Added to the surly service a place to avoid.

Reviewed October 19, 2012

All tourists beware of this establishment!...Malta is a great place for dining out but this place brings shame upon themselves by trying to 'screw the tourist'. My husband, myself and our three children have spent a fabulous week in Malta, eating out every day both at lunchtime and in the evening. On our last night, on the recommendation of our accommodation owners, we ate in this establishment which happened to be just along the lane from where we were staying. On arrival we were given a menu - and with no prices listed - we continued to order: a bottle of maltese red wine, three soft drinks and main meals only as it was fairly late. I need to stress that on ALL the occasions we ate out previously prices were clearly listed on menus.
Anyway, we ate the food (listed below) and all agreed it was our least favourite meal of the week. We asked for the bill....103 euros..in itself it may not seem expensive but it is important to understand that this was a ridiculous cost when compared with our previous dining experiences in Malta. Our usual orders would also have included two or three starters, five main meals, desserts/ice cream for the three children, a bottle of wine, soft drinks, a bottle of water and more often than not my husband and I would finish the meal with a liquor or coffee. (and was never more than 110euros at lunch or in the evening). This was a kafe/wine bar where only main meals were ordered!... To say I was astonished would be an understatement. I approached the waitress, queried the bill, mentioned all our previous dining experiences in Malta, the amount of food ordered and asked her to justify the bill and the prices...please note ALL food items on the bill were itemised as drinks...she said she only worked there and could not comment..the bill was the bill. Incredulous, I asked to speak to the manager. The chef came down and again I questioned the prices...I informed them I was Scottish..not stupid..and well aware of Maltese prices (named many of the better places we had eaten) and asked them to go away and come back with the true cost of the meals/wine. They said they would reduce the bill by 20euros...83.60euros they said...I put down 80, told them they should be ashamed of themselves, said that was all I was paying and left.

What we ordered: Pasta with a mushroom sauce, two bowls of mussels in white wine, chicken wrapped in ham served with potatoes and pan fried red prawns (10 on plate with rocket leaves).

1  Thank liggi_12
Reviewed October 6, 2012 via mobile

We went there on a saturday evening so one would accept it that you have to wait a little bit for your food to be served, but we waited for over an hour. We took 2 different dishes of pasta, food was ok, nothing special. Although they have the sign at the door, they wouldn't accept any credit cards, so we had to walk all the way to the Naxxar main square for the atm.

Apparently the management has changed as we have been there before and the experience was totally different, as well as the people taking care of the place.

1  Thank countryside16
Reviewed May 22, 2012

A pity. The place looked lovely, and the location was charming, tucked away in a cul de sac. They served a decent coffee and the desserts were bearable , that one time we had found it open, about 2 years ago. However, one thing I have noticed, is their completely non-chalant approach to business - very wishy-washy. I had been there with my boyfriend on 4 separate occasions (between 2011 and 2012) that one time we did manage to find it open! Yet this place seemed to be closed all other times we'd been there lately, despite what their opening hours read. So we would always end up waiting up to 45 minutes to an hour, and eureka - no one came to open. Some Maltese family businesses are rather reluctant for custom! I don't get it at all. Isn't this an EU country? If they say they should be open at a particular time in the evening, then I expect them to be open - If I were the owners, I would be terribly embarrassed. They don't answer your calls, and when I called from right outside, the phone was ringing, but no one picked up. I doubt the place has closed down, I just have the feeling they don't want my money. Very confusing. This place doesn't deserve any custom.

Reviewed May 5, 2012

Relaxing place... Good service, quality of platers are excellent.. i Suggest to try a bottle of wine there in a friendly atmosphere

2  Thank alanMalta