“Best kept secret!”

Ranked #1 of 5 Liss B&B and Inns
Playa Del Ingles
“Best kept secret!”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Stayed over on business. Rooms spacious, clean and extremely well decorated.
Great welcome on arrival - the host really cannot do enough for you.
Menu is first class - I had the cassoulet followed by bread and butter pudding. Food very well presented and delicious.
Extras such a free wi-fi and even a wee dram of whiskey in the room just added to the experience.
Will definitely return - highly recommended.

• Stayed March 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Farnham, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 9, 2013 via mobile

We have just been for Saturday lunch. The location is deepest countryside minutes from Liss, and the ambience once inside is so relaxed that all the tables were talking to each other. The pub is very dog friendly, and the staff are totally natural and charming. As for the food! Generous portions; my husband had the cassoulet which was supreme, and I asked for a great big ham salad - heavy on the salad - which wasn't on the menu, and they presented me with just that. I had a doggy bag for half the ham for my husband's supper tonight. The ham was the best ever. There is so much healthy, good food on the menu and so reasonably priced, that I cannot recommend this pub highly enough.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank 504171Newgranny
Gateshead, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 6, 2013

Stayed here for one night in March and I'm so glad I did.
Set in a quiet lane and surrounded by lovely countryside. I chose this pub as I like to stay in independant hotels, rather than the huge faceless chains.
I was met with a hearty handshake from the owner and shown straight to my room. I was immediately given all the information I'd need for my stay.
The rooms are immaculately decorated and give this accomodation a true mix of old and new. Often when staying in old buildings, the rooms are just made do, with rickety doors, uneven floors, odd furniture etc.
The room I stayed in had good quality fitting doors, solid tasteful furniture and a bathroom done to an excellent standard. The bed was extremely comfortable, with a fantastic quilt and pillows. Fresh linen and towels, toiletries, tea, coffee including a proper coffee maker. All the usual freeview channels complete what you need for a comfortable stay.
The view from my room (Cowes) was into fields, but due to the lack of streetlights gives fantastic views of the sky at night!

The bar was quite busy, mostly with diners and there was a pleasant atmosphere with all the chatting voices. There was a good selection of guest ales and unusually five hand pulled ciders as well!
I ordered my food, taking the advice of a couple sat at the bar and had to choose wisely as they couldn't agree on what was the nicest between what they had eaten.
With a real log fire roaring in the corner of the bar, I was treat to some truly fantastic food. Settling for bread and olives, with fresh crusty bread to start, then a French cassoulet of pork belly, chicken, smoked sausage, chorizo and four types of beans! It's a good job it was served with garlic bread to wipe the huge pot clean.

Beakfast was cooked to order and was piping hot, tasty and fresh.
I was truly made to feel valued as a customer, something which has become lacking in the larger hotels and chains.

If you're local, take a trip out one evening and enjoy the food and atmosphere.
If you're travelling, take the extra 5 minutes out to get here for a comfortable and peaceful stay.

Room Tip: I stayed in 'Cowes' and it is excellent. Looking at the photographs, they're all done to...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Biffa70
Cannes, France
Reviewed February 6, 2013

I can only echo the positive comments & high praise already given in the majority of reviews. Lovely rural/quiet location. Very comfortable, clean room (Goodwood) with high quality bed & bedding.....loved the whiskey too!
Typical gastropub food.....we had the liver/bacon & the roasted butternut squash.....2 excellent meals, no complaints.
Breakfast of same high standard.
We would happily return. Highly recommend!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Beej38
NickTroth, Owner at Hawkley Inn, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
We are delighted you enjoyed what we do. I do hope we will see you again soon and thank you very much for taking the time to post your review.
Perth, Australia
Reviewed January 26, 2013

Stayed for one night, staff could not be more accommodating, the food was excellent as was the choice of real beers. Room was spacious very clean and had everything that could be needed. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank 1981nelson
NickTroth, Owner at Hawkley Inn, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Thank you for your kind review. We very much enjoy doing what we do at the Hawkley Inn and we never tire of hearing about people who like it. We hope you will be back again very soon.
London
Reviewed December 22, 2012

My partner and I had a very enjoyable overnight stay at the Hawkley Inn. This is an unpretentious and well run pub which combines traditional charm (check out what must be the oldest pub carpet in England and their famous Moose head) with modern standards of accommodation and food (very comfortable and well furnished rooms and a varied menu including plenty of veggie choices for my other half). We were made to feel very welcome by the landlord and staff. On a Friday night the pub was very busy with a good range of customers and a really friendly atmosphere. Breakfast was also very good. Since we can nip down the A3 from Twickenham in roughly an hour, I'm sure we will visit again. If you want a very good meal or an overnight stay at a pub full of character and genuine charm you could do a lot worse than give the Hawkley Inn a try.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Nibbs1969
Dunstable, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 15, 2012

We stayed here on a Friday evening, the staff were very friendly and made us very welcome, the room was very well appointed and a nice touch of a nightcap in the room. Breakfast in the morning was fantastic with hot fresh coffee. Overall highly recommendable.......

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Km4344
Also consider these accommodations in or near Liss
The Trooper Inn
Langrish House
#1 of 3 in Petersfield
Old Thorns Manor Hotel & Golf Course
Best Western Frensham Pond Hotel

Been to Hawkley Inn? Share your experiences!