“Great Place to Relax in the Country”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Las Marias
Maravilla Guesthouse
Ranked #1 of 1 Las Marias B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 12, 2009

Margo and Mark are wonderful hosts. When we arrived in mid-afternoon they greeted us enthusiastically. Mark went on a horseback ride with my wife while I relaxed. Margo prepared a gourmet vegetarian dinner (and breakfast). The room was comfortable and we didn't have to share the bathroom. The sunset from our balcony was beautiful. We liked the location--quite removed from the traffic of the cities but yet not far from them. The only drawback is that their half mile driveway has several rain ditches that can be challenging if you have a car that is close to the ground.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Maravilla Guesthouse

Reviewed December 8, 2008

I had spent a good deal of time in Puerto Rico before visiting the Maravilla Guesthouse, but I'd always felt that I was missing some of the essence of the island's charm--that somehow I wasn't availing myself of the pure unspoiled beauty of the place.

Maravilla gave me what I needed. A simple place, high in the mountains of Las Marias (a small, pristine farming community), the Guesthouse is situated atop a mountain, with views of the entire western expanse of the island (as far as Desecheo Island, more than thirty miles away.) You can sit on the porch and actually see weather moving toward you—a totally unique experience.

There is also a cottage (which was where I stayed) that is nestled in a tropical valley. From the open-air kitchen, you see enormous rubber trees, all manner of birds, tiny lizards. It’s as close as you can comfortably get to living in the wild—with a strong emphasis on the comfort (I’m definitely not a nature boy.)

Maravilla has hiking paths, waterfalls, streams, and horseback riding trails (along with the horses.) Las Marias has incomparably good mountain air, and the farm has equally good drinking water.

The bonus that I couldn’t have anticipated was owner Margo Miller’s vegan menu. As a vegetarian (although not a vegan), traditional Puerto Rican cuisine had provided me with limited mealtime options. It was a joy to know that everything Margo cooked was something I could eat.

And the food! Hickory orange seitan, black bean empanadillas with wild mango salsa, fresh pumpkin soup, double chocolate cake with orange chocolate sauce, plus delicious homemade breads and freshly squeezed juices and blended smoothies. I can honestly say that I’ve never eaten better in my life. Ordinarily, I eat once a day, but I took advantage of the incredible range of delicious cuisine Margo presented, eating three meals a day (plus second helpings and desserts.)

Margo and Mark, who live fulltime on the farm, made me feel I was at home; there was never a sense of not having the full run of the place. The dogs and horses only added to the warm, loving atmosphere.

I stayed for four days. I often think about Maravilla—its beauty, the wonderful company there, and (okay, this is a little shallow) the incredible meals I had. I wish I could have stayed longer, and will return at the first available opportunity. It was fantastic from start to finish, and I can’t recommend it highly enough.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Wortri
The Dreamcatcher
#2 of 30 in San Juan
Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Puerto Rico Golf & Beach Resort
La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort

Been to Maravilla Guesthouse? Share your experiences!