Maravilla Guesthouse
  • Pool
$118
$197
$157
Parador Villas Sotomayor(Adjuntas)(Great Value!)
Hotels.com
Hotels.com
TripAdvisor
  • Pool
Royal Isabela(Isabela)
TripAdvisor
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 4, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the "cabin" for 1 one week. I have to admit I was a bit apprehensive, as although I'm willing try new foods, I'm not a vegetarian and the the thought of eating vegetarian for a week was not exactly what I would have considered a vacation. I was COMPLETELY WRONG for thinking that though, the food was astonishing to me, and I could live out my life as a vegetarian eating the food that Margo prepared. It is very paying for the food option without a single question.

We felt so very comfortable there, it was like visiting family, this is due to Margo and Marks friendliness and willingness to do help with everything.

It was also the most peaceful week I've had in my life, we were able to leave all cares behind, and enjoy each others company weather we were playing cards by the light of the gas lamp, or exploring the mountains by foot, it was simply amazing, and a great way to spend times with loved ones.

Don't wait, arrange your trip NOW!!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 27, 2011

Margo and Mark are the best. We had our honeymoon at Maravilla and it was a trip of a lifetime. We stayed down in the private cabin. It was so nice. We could just relax and do our thing all alone. No phones,electricity, computers. There is a grill for cooking and hot water in the shower. We cooked up a bunch of Margo's homemade (pre-made) meals. Everyone was awesome. And deserts! Oh the cookies.... the cookies. The cabin is great. And all of Marks custom woodworking and art just makes it so much unique and beautiful. The guy's a genius. When we weren't hanging out at the cabin (nude sunbathing, jungle stream hiking, cooking, reading, sleeping, bird watching) we would go up the hill and hang out with Mark and Margo. They are good, honest, hardworking people. We have much respect for their hard work and lifestyle. It's not east to keep paradise up and running. We would talk into the night about all sorts of things. When we were staying they had a friend helping out on the property, Levi. He was a great guy too. Mark and Margo also have beautiful and fun cats,dogs, and horses on site. The cat soap opera was are daily news. It was so nice. At night we would go up and have dinner at Margo's. Either inside or outside, it didn't matter. It was so romantic and unique. the food was one of a kind. Fresh grown veggies from the garden. Years of skilled culinary work put into each meal. It's more than a 5 star restaurant. You can't really get this kind of food anywhere else. It's indigenous to that kitchen. The breakfast we had up there was the best ever. Eating all of Margo's food for 7 days was great, we never felt better. And we always eat healthy at home. Even the water (from the spring) was good. Almost everyday we would leave (pack up food, they even had a cooler for us) and hit a different beach or jungle hike on the west side of the island. We hit Rincon, Cabo Rojo, Guanica, Salto Curet. Each one was awesome. Rincon was cool if you surf. Not much for swimming. Guanica was great for caribbean beaches and there is a nice public beach. it was perfect. Salto Curet was a great water hike. Cabo Rojo was amazing, nice walk, great beach, beautiful sites. We even saw an rhesus monkey on the way back. Every where was about an hour give or take drive. The road to the house is a windy one so take your time and don't rush it. Margo and Mark have all the info there for these day trips and more. Packing food was great since it didn't seem like very much vegetarian options anywhere else. And it saved a ton of money to pay for the meal plans with Margo. You really can't beat a trip to Maravilla. We have traveled on a budget and vegetarian all over the North Western Hemisphere. This is the place. One day we will go back and maybe leave this crazy rat race behind. I think we could settle down at Maravilla and just work at keeping paradise up and running. It's truly a wonderful place. GO HERE NOW!!!!!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank c b
Reviewed November 3, 2011

My wife and I spent several days at Maravilla Mountain. Margo and Mark are the kindest, most down-to-earth hosts you could ever ask for. We enjoyed the truly 5-star food and the great found art creations around every corner. Ponyboy was more than happy to lead us through the mountain trails and down the riverbed. This is a great people-friendly, animal-friendly, and earth-friendly establishment. Did I mention that that the food is FIVE STAR?!!?

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KDG1andKDG2
Reviewed August 12, 2011

My husband and I stayed in the cabin for 6 nights and chose their special luxury all inclusive option which includes served breakfast, lunch and a several course dinner for each day. I highly recommend choosing that option as it is really not all that much more money but was very much worth it. The breakfast view was spectacular and the dinner seating was very romantic. The food was unbelievably amazing. I’m trying to recreate several of their recipes since they were so good. We had a variety of food, some of the highlights for us were: coconut crusted tofu over noodles, fried green tomatoes with pepper jam, amazing soups, chocolate cake, tostados, breakfast buffet, sesame & walnut crusted tofu, and pizza. Margo was very accommodating with meals and packaged several breakfasts and lunches up for us when we went on day trips. Everyone at Maravilla was very friendly and helpful.

The location was amazing and very lush. I couldn’t have imagined a better view. It was exactly what we were looking for as we really wanted to feel like we were away from civilization. The cabin was much bigger than I expected and well maintained. I knocked one star off on “sleep quality” only because at night it was a bit humid (we stayed in July) and with no air condition it took us a day or two to get used to it. The only thing we regretted was doing so many daytrips as we only really had one day to explore the property. We highly recommend staying at Maravilla and look forward to going back some day.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Stacy L
Reviewed April 22, 2011

My wife and I stayed in the cabin for four nights, and there's not much we could add to the already excellent reviews. Maravilla is an incredibly peaceful and relaxing place. Margo's vegan cooking was excellent, and Marc's attention to detail in the furnishings was great. Everyone who works here is incredibly friendly, and you won't have to worry about your privacy or a single need.

If you like animals, you're in for a treat. They have plenty of cats and dogs, including Pony Boy (actually a girl), who helpfully led us on both of the on-property hikes we took.

You're in for a bit of an experience in finding this place, up to and including a somewhat challenging road that leads right to the guest house. But it's all worthwhile, and a great contrast to the big chain properties on the other side of the island.

My wife and I have had the privilege of traveling to a number of different places around the world. We've never been to a place like this before, and a repeat trip may well be in the cards.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple