“a very special homestay!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Polwatte House

Polwatte House
Ranked #1 of 9 Kundasale B&B and Inns
san francisco, ca
“a very special homestay!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

My husband, toddler daughter, and I stayed with Andrew and Ailsa and their two lovely daughters for two nights in August. We had a wonderful visit- I cannot stress enough how comfortable and welcoming their home is and how hospitable they are as hosts. In fact, it really did seem like they were friends by the end of the visit! I dream about the bedroom and bathroom that we stayed in- the super white walls and floors and the lovely shower! While other reviewers have commented on the distance form Kandy, we personally did not find this to be a problem. Ailsa called auto-rickshaws and they came immediately and we were able to arrange a meeting/pick up time for the afternoon. And it was actually cheaper than what other posters have written. And faster too! In other notes, the breakfast was lovely with really good coffee and homemade jams and the two women who work with them are just wonderful too. And I should stress that everyone was super accommodating and welcoming to our rambunctious toddler and Ailsa made sure there was food that she could eat.

Polwatte House is a very unique space and I am so glad that we got to experience it!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

Ailsa and Andrew are a very nice couple with two lovely girls, and this is their home. The house is located by a beautiful river in which we were able to kayak. I want to give them five stars, as their hospitality was extraordinary (they prepared a special dinner for us under the stars and Ailsa gave us a ride to our next destination!). However, I would advice them to lower their prices, as their place is a bit far from Kandy and the rooms and bathrooms must be somewhat improved in terms of cleanliness and decoration. Right now the rooms are too basic (although you cannot see this from the website). We felt we paid more than in other, similar homestays (we paid 65 dollars per night, while in other places we paid between 30 to 55 dollars). The house has a lot of promise, but then again it needs investment. We wish them the best of luck, and we enjoyed our stay, so this is only constructive criticism. Thank you!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
PolwatteHouse, Owner at Polwatte House, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
We really appreciate your review and the good rating you've given us. We are pleased to hear that you both enjoyed your stay with us. We enjoyed meeting you both.

Also we appreciate the constructive feedback you've given regarding our rates. I just wanted to let you know that the rates you paid were our High season rates, because the days that you stayed with us was when Kandy is at its busiest due to the Kandy Perahera Festival. Due to the heavy demand during the festival time, it is usual for many establishments to raise their prices to reflect this. Our usual prices throughout the rest of the year are $35 B&B for our two rooms with shared bathroom and $50 B&B for our room with attached bathroom. But your feedback is very important to use, so I will take this into consideration when setting our next year's High season rates.

Many thanks!
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

Polwatte house is fantastic. Extremely friendly, knowledgable and helpful owners. The location is ideal, situated just outside Kandy with beautiful surrounding countrtyside. The rooms are clean and comfortable and the food here has got to be some of the best I tasted in Sri Lanka. I would definitely recommend Polwatte house to anybody who is visiting Sri Lanka.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Bali, Indonesia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013

Polwatte house was my first stop on my Sri Lanka adventure and it was wonderful.
The house and property are beautiful and a perfect escape from the hustle and bustle of the busy town of Kandy. The food was great, the room was cozy and immaculately clean.
Best of all were the hosts Andrew and Alisa and their lovely family.
On my first day they invited me to join them on an excursion to the ancient Polonnaruwa ruins, an incredible historic site and was blessed to learn about the history of the place as well as what was going on in Sri Lanka now.
If you are looking to travel and get real insight into your destination then this is the best place you can stay and well worth the trip. It was a real treat to be welcome into their home and family and I would recommend it as a must go place if you plan to stay in that area. Thank you for being so kind and generous with me Andrew and Alisa! I had a lovely time and look forward to seeing you again !

Room Tip: There is a new room that is beatuiful, try and get that one if you can.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Galle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2013

Polwatte house is in a fantastic homestay with a great story to tell, and excellent hosts. It is a huge house set well off the main road with only extended family for neighbours. The house has a huge lawn leading right to the river with great views and lots of wildlife passing by. Ailsa and her family and staff really make you feel at home, and are readily able to suggest or help out with any activities.
While it is in a fantastic location, it is not very central. This did not pose a problem however as there are a couple of tuk-tuk drivers on call who will charge local rates only, meaning that for us it was the same price as going to any of the sights in most places anyway. When booking I thought the location might prove to be a hassle, but it was not, and I am very glad I did not let it put me off.
The food was also excellent, and the internet the fastest I've come across in Sri Lanka, there were also no power outages while we stayed (for a week).
All in all I would definitely recommend Polwatte House as the best place I've stayed in Sri Lanka so far, after a couple of months of travel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

Andrew and Alisa were very generous and accommodating. Their home was our first stop on our trip through Sri Lanka and we were immediately feeling at home. The home is very clean and the WiFi is fast. I will be recommending their home to my friends and family.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013

We stayed 5 nights and had a great time with the very welcoming and friendly Ailsa and Andrew in their home. We enjoyed the beautiful countryside and mellow atmosphere out of the hustle and bustle of Kandy. Great simple and tasty food. My daugher loved to play with her friend Farrah. One day we went hiking in the Knuckles Ranges. Beautiful!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kundasale
Earl's Regency
#4 of 288 in Kandy
Hotel Lans
Hotel Lans
#4 of 9 in Kundasale

Been to Polwatte House? Share your experiences!