“Definitely not the catch of the day!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of The Governor Rocks - CLOSED

The Governor Rocks
Cuisines: Seafood, British
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Donaghadee, null, United Kingdom
“Definitely not the catch of the day!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

We had been looking forward to visiting this restaurant for some time and finally made it tonight, however will definitely not be making a return visit!! We were seated at a table at the door which meant that during the course of the evening I was clinging to my coat. Having opted to go straight to mains we were informed that my son could not have the roast beef child's meal) as the beef had ran out! My two sons ordered the fish and chips but when they arrived the batter was soggy and the portion tiny the fish looked like it was a bought in product to me and not prepared on the premises. I had hake and braised lentils the lentils were grossly over salted my wife had cod goujons which were very bland. We all got chips on the way home because we were all still hungry at the end of evening. Poor show and £60 lighter.

3 Thank Tom M

Belfast, United Kingdom
“Worth a visit!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

We have been hearing about The Governor Rocks from various people for weeks and decided to venture to Donaghadee to try it out for dinner. The glowing reports we had heard were thankfully not an exaggeration! The menu is seafood based but it definitely caters for all and making a decision was not easy.The atmosphere in the restaurant was superb - lighting, music and mood perfect. The meal was delicious, well priced and we loved the BYO option. The service was impressive, attentive without being intrusive and the staff are well-informed on the menu and answered various questions we put forward without hesitation. As other people have said they don't take card payments but we were informed of this and the BYO option over the telelphone when booking. Just disappointed we waited this long to make a visit!

Bangor, United Kingdom
“Fabulous!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2013

Went for lunch last Monday. Absolutely terrific. The food was wonderful and the staff friendly, knowledgable and attentive (but not overbearing). The menu on the website does not reflect the range of dishes. Still delicious fish and seafood dishes, but also game, beef and chicken dishes on offer. Can't wait to go back!

Newtownabbey, Northern Ireland
“Exceeded Expectations”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

We had lunch here last Friday and it was excellent in every way, the staff were warm and friendly on what was a very cold day!. My wife choose the mussels to start with and I had the parsnip soup both of which were plentiful and very tasty, we then had Fillet of Hake and the Fish Pie which in my opinion was the best I had ever tasted. The whole experience certainly exceeded our expectations as we are regular visitors to its sister restaurant Coco in Belfast which is sadly not in the same league and has really gone off the boil recently..

Belfast, United Kingdom
“A true gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

Just back from grosvenor rocks with my wife and child and what a find. Really worth going to donaghadee for. Crab claw starters for me and squid for my wife was great but the wild duck main was the nicest duck I've ever had and my wife's cod main was beautiful too. I skipped on the desert. Big mistake. When my wife's chocolate tart dessert arrived it was like a work of art on the plate and tasted great too. They have a fully stocked bar but also operate a B.Y.O policy too , to keep the costs down. Great find and will defiantly return