“Excellent Meal and Great Atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Governor Rocks - CLOSED

The Governor Rocks
Cuisines: Seafood, British
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Bangor, Northern Ireland
“Excellent Meal and Great Atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2013

We visited tonight (12/01/13) for my mother-in-laws 85th birthday and our table was booked for 7pm. The restaurant was already buzzing at this time of night and the ambience was lovely. Our wine (its BYO) was opened promptly and offers to put our beers in the fridge to keep it cool were made by the friendly and helpful staff. We had a combination of starters from the bloody mary mussels to goats cheese and squid and all of them were very tasty. For the main there was John Dory, Lemon Sole but I opted for the scallops with black pudding which were out of this world if a little pricey at £18.50!! We had ordered a side of chips and onion rings but these weren't really needed. We rounded off by sharing a cheese board and a portion of the apple and gingerbread crumble and again these were both extremely tasty. All I can say is that we had a great night and will be back again!! Thank you The Governor Rocks!!

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank Olliebird1

“Better than first experience”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I tried this restaurant a few months back and we were sick when we got home. We had the squid for starter.
We were in a larger crowd tonight when we returned. I had yummy spicy Tom Yum followed by the steak. I asked for my steak to be cooked rare and it was, although it really was not very hot. Tirimasu was my dessert and it was ok.
I really cannot give them any more than 3 out of 5 overall.
Still must try harder!!!

BANGOR CO DOWN
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“FANTASTIC!!!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

Have been to this restaurant several times and each time the food and staff have excelled themselves. The restaurant is now licenced but remains BTO which is great in this financial climate. The menu changes daily which is refreshing, having the same old menu each time you vist can be quite monotonous, the portions are plentiful anything more would be classed as gluttony, we always leave feeling well fed and content. The interior of the restaurant is very quirky/funky with a wall of old mirrors and half doors, the kitchen is open plan so you get to see the chefs in full swing doing what they do best, one of the proprietors is in the fishing trade so this is how this restaurant gets the freshest fish delivered each day, being here a few times I have noticed that the menu is extending with the likes of venison, pheasant, pigeon, duck etc being served, which is great for people who are not so keen on fish, the last visit I had rare lamb salad for starters with a walnut salad OMG it was amazing, cant wait to go again !!!!

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank sauvignon b M
County Down
“Beautiful Meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

We went for our first time on New Year's Eve and had a beautiful 3 course meal, food to die for! Very friendly staff, most welcoming. We will be back in 2013!

• Visited December 2012
2 Thank Emma M
Northern Ireland
“Excellent food, great decor, priceless view”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

Ate here today with a friend for lunch.
The decor is beautiful, and the service was warm and friendly.

There was a large party of 15 or so, which seemed to put a delay on the kitchen- however both courses were worth the wait, as they were definitely cooked to order.
(Also the manager- unprompted took 10% off the bill for the wait, which was a nice touch)
Would recommend the Pheasant Pie!!
My friend had the fish pie, which was excellent too!

Will definitely be coming back for dinner- as I'm sure the atmosphere at night will be lovely.

2 Thank Gypsyking09