“DISAPPOINTING - NEEDED TO GO TO THE CHIPPY AFTERWARDS!!”
Review of The Governor Rocks - CLOSED

The Governor Rocks
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed December 28, 2012

A party of over 15 work colleagues arrived on Friday 21st December for our Xmas meal. To say it was not very tasty would be wrong - the food was very nice tasting, however the portions were tiny and most of the men needed to go to the chippy afterwards as we were all starving!! Not really a good sign after a £15 meal, served on all the old charity shop plates - none of which were the same size or design, only thing they had in common was the challenge of finding the food on them.
All in all - to summarize - we wont be back, next time we go for a meal we will go to somewhere to get a bite to eat, rather than this poor excuse for an eatery.

1  Thank pag63

Reviewed December 26, 2012 via mobile

Great food!
Good portions!
Great Atmoshpere!
Great Service.

Five stars for The Governer!
Will be and recommended to many friends, keep up the good work and have a prosperous new year!

3  Thank 450claires
Reviewed December 21, 2012

Had our Chrsitams Dinner here. Although it is reocrded as a Fish Restarant we went on reports from local diners and Tripadvisor Reviews. Although the service was good and efficient staff were friendly and the premises were great spec (recently renevated building). We had the turkey dinner, but to be truthful it was more like a starter than a main course, 1 small slice of tukey and ham, gravey and stuffing, accompanied by two very small roast potatoes, two sprouts and some mashed carrot and swede. I left the premises feeling hungry. A friend with whom I was with felt as if he had not eaten at all and in fact purchased a carry out meal at a nearby Chip Shop. With all its rave reviews, I will certainly not be back, might well just suit those diners who like Fish.

1  Thank FredBangor
Reviewed December 8, 2012

Arrived at this restaurant and there was a member of staff holding the door closed because it blows open on a windy night!! So therefore it was really quite chilly inside. Then the waitress arrived with the A4 sheet( which was the menu) and if you weren't partial to fish or sirloin too bad because that was it! I had a very poor prawn cocktail the lettuce was wet and the tomatoes were completely tasteless, this was served with two tiny pieces of dry stale wheaten bread and no butter was offered. Then came the main course I ordered the steak medium rare and a tiny trimmed sirloin arrived " blue" I tried to get the attention of a member of staff to tell them this but, gave up. On the menu it stated that the steak would be served with tomato, onion rings, chips and a sauce and although a small bowl of burnt chips arrived nothing else did!! I declined desert. So if you are in Donaghadee and are hungry try Pier 36 or Grace Neils and at least you won't be disappointed.

1  Thank Twig59
Reviewed November 27, 2012

Having learned that it opened quite recently, I have eaten here twice in the last few weeks, firstly for dinner and then for lunch. On the second visit we forgot to bring a bottle, but now they have got a licence, so that they have wine, etc available. We had their very good house Pinot Grigio. When we arrived for dinner the place was really buzzing. As I walked through I noted that practically every one of the 20+ tables was occupied, which is good going in these tough times. I also was able to view the kitchen through a large window, something I think makes a confident statement along the lines of 'Enjoy the view, we have nothing to hide' The decor was very fetching, - quite funky with recycled sawn off doors and all shapes and sizes of mirrors.

There was a big emphasis on fish and seafood, which I reckon is as it should be, given that we were within yards of the Irish Sea, a great source of both. We had a great chat with manager Lisa about the sourcing of these and learned that one of the owners is the fisherman! How fresh is fresh then? We had excellent meals of sea bass and salmon.

Dishes were very well priced and I shall certainly be back there as soon as I can. It hits the spot for ambience, good service, excellent food and value for money.

2  Thank Lisadian