“Robbery”

Creative Gardens
Ranked #8 of 21 Restaurants in Donaghadee
Cuisines: Cafe, British
Good for: Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Brunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Wheelchair Accessible
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Robbery”
Reviewed March 23, 2014

A bright idea...not so bright. Taking my grand mother here for a birthday lunch sounded like a good idea until we arrived. Not a birthday lunch to remember. Upon arrival we joined the queue outside the door and waited for at least 15minutes in the freezing conditions due to a poor layout and slow service, thankfully we sat beside a radiator to warm up a little. After ordering two sandwiches, two toasties, three coffees and a tray bake and paying £28 for this we took our seat and awaited something special for that kind of price. Is a twenty minute wait too long for a few sandwiches and when they arrived looked like they had been thrown together in about 20 seconds. A simple order of two ham salad sandwiches arrived first, i seem to have a different idea to a ham salad sandwich to the person that made these...two slices of bread with one slice of ham in the middle and a side salad of wilted dry lettuce. £4.35 each?? its gets worse..next two tuna and cheese 'toasties' not at all a complicated or tough. one side of the bread soggy and falling apart and the other barely toasted. £4.95 each, again hard to justify. the only good thing about the lunch...well apart from leaving was the malteaser tray bake. Pity we just didn't have four of those! Staffing seems to be an issue, plenty of pleasant staff willing to help and very welcoming. Apart from the woman making coffees and then throwing them at you across the counter. Glad i ordered a large or there wouldn't have been any left in the cup with the amount she spilled. But she didn't care as she turned on her heels and marched off with better things to do! Busy place and plenty of recommendations to go here...maybe i will try someplace different next time.

• Visited March 2014
9 Thank KatieK_hwood

Belfast, United Kingdom
“Worth a visit.”
Reviewed March 12, 2014

Have visited here many times. It is always busy. Scones are to die for but almost too big. Same for desserts (too big), huge variety and delicious but all the food is Restaurant prices. Only complaint - they don't offer an Ulster fry for breakfast :-(((

Main courses are very tasty but - go for lunch around 12 o'c when all the dishes are just freshly set out! Newspapers are provided and it's pleasant to look out at the beautiful display of plants.

You need a car to get here but there are lots of parking spaces.

• Visited March 2014
Northern Ireland
“Lovely place but can be quite expensive”
Reviewed March 11, 2014

I do like going for a nosey round the flowers and ornaments etc., Then followed by coffee and cake. Very very busy place (and can be noisy!). Scones are huge as are the portions of pavlova and apple pie, but they are scrummy!

Visited June 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent Garden Centre, Food not to die for!!”
Reviewed March 1, 2014

I love going to Donaghadee garden centre to purchase a new range or plants in the spring, but I have found that the Cafe isn't living up to the standards set by the rest of the complex.

I find the food basic and over priced, basically you pay restaurant prices for a cafe and I would probably have rated it lower if not for the Garden centre itself.

• Visited February 2014
2 Thank Dwd K
“Donaghadee's Best Kept Secret”
Reviewed February 3, 2014

I have lived in Donaghadee my whole life, and 'Donaghadee Garden Centre', as it is fondly known to my myself and my family, has always been somewhere I enjoy visiting.

My most recent experience is one that I feel I really must share. I recently visited the café with my elderly mother, who is a little hard of hearing and often can find it quite difficult to move around. On coming in to the centre, I was greeted by a very friendly member of staff who asked if we needed any assistance at all. When I told her that we had come to use our In Bloom vouchers in the café, she very kindly escorted us round to make sure that my Mother would be seated. As it turns out, she had remembered us from our previous visit when we had purchased some garden furniture. She started asking all about it, and if we enjoyed the purchase, which I thought was just lovely!

On entering the café, the staff were as delightful as always, and the food was just delicious. We were seated straight away, and every care was taken to make sure that my Mum was comfortable. With my In Bloom card, I get coupons four times a year that I can redeem in the café, so on this occasion, Mum and I had come for a cup of tea and some buns.

We had a scone each, which were huge, along with a cappuccino and a hot chocolate which we got free of charge with my free tea/coffee vouchers, and it really did brighten up a cold and blustery day. The only disappointing thing that I can report is that I didn't get to try the delicious lunch that was on offer, as it really did look and smell delicious!

I'd just like to thank the staff for always being so friendly when we eat here, and for treating my Mum so well. It is one of the few visits out of the house that she makes now, and it is always a pleasure!

• Visited January 2014