“Brilliant, relaxing and regenerating”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Saint-Antonin Noble Val
La Roane Yoga & Creativity Centre
Brighton, England, United Kingdom
“Brilliant, relaxing and regenerating”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2012

Just had a lovely week doing lots of singing, yoga, guitar and laughter. It's my second time and in spite of the unusually wet weather a good time was had by all. The hardy walkers went on a wild walk around the gorge and joined us in the sauna afterwards to warm up. Some really hardy walkers jumped in the pool afterwards but as it's April they didn't stay in long!
Food was up to Enzos usual standard which is 5 star and Nigel and Linda made us all feel so much at home. Will definitely be back.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Judy S

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Newton Abbot, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2012

Where to start...I went on a yoga holiday last year and had the most wonderful week...Nigel, Linda, Simon and Enzo are a fantastic team. They are heart-connected perfect hosts! I felt as if I was 'coming home'. The ease with which the days reveal themselves is just perfect for unwinding, relaxing, and completely restoring mind, body and spirit... which is what I felt I did. I also really enjoyed the fun! Nigel is such a warm presence and offers his sense of fun with grace - we had such wonderful spontaneous singing moments, as well as dancing about laughing crazily! I don't think I've had so much fun in this way for a long time! So great for the soul! The location is idyliic ...set in the beautiful quiet French countryside, I felt safe, held by nature and unable to do what I wanted ... lie by the pool, take a nap after lunch, enjoy the very pretty local town, drinking coffee after a trip to the market and watching the world go by.... I totally recommend a holiday here.... can you tell?! I would go back in an instant! My room was lovely, and the food is really out of this world.. absolutely delicious and very inspiring too. I felt that I learned so much. The yoga was amazing and since my holiday I'm a Iyengar convert! Thanks to Nicky! I also met a wonderful group of co-travellers and had the most amazing evenings under the stars. Thank you, Thank you.

Room Tip: They're all good. Great yoga room with fantastic equipment, and kitchen just next door.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
6 Thank Lisa G
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2012

I had a super holiday last summer. Nigel is a very accommodating host and lots of fun. The yoga classes were brilliant, one in the morning, one in the afternoon - not compulsory, but if you're on a yoga holiday you'll want to do as much as possible. Amazing healthy and tasty vegetarian food. Beautiful surroundings. All the facilities you will possibly need. A lovely pool and a hammock in the garden. Great value for money and I would definitely go again!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank Nathalie S
Norwich
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2012

Nigel has created a very special place where the delights of rural France are enhanced with fabulous food and the chance to make new friends. I went on a yoga and art course in May 2011 and I'll be back there in June 2012. Linda and Simon work with Nigel to make sure that you feel welcomed and cared for, whilst Enzo creates vegetarian food that delights you.

Our course leader Annie showed us lots of fun ways to find our creative talents and even though my skills are basic I feel more confident and inspired because of the way Annie brings art to life.

I stayed in the main house and would have been tempted by the magical yurt or fairytale tree house except for my love of an indoor loo ;-) All of the rooms were comfortable, nicely furnished and very clean.

In addition to the course there are also lots of opportunities to walk, laze on sun beds, swim in the pool and go to the market at San Antonin. Nigel and team also include a day out which included a beautiful walk and a picnic. Every day begins with qigong and evening often include music or entertainment - if you feel like joining in.

La Roane offers a comfortable and safe place for those travelling alone or with friends. You can join in as much or as little as you want to.

Most of all its a place to laugh and laugh and just when you think you can't you laugh any more you laugh even harder.

One of the best holidays I've ever been on.

Room Tip: If you like to stay indoors to find the loo ask for a room in one of the houses. If you enjoy being...
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank dancinglight
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2010

I've rambled on a bit here so I'll put a summary here :

Food : Very high quality, locally source organic ingredients, totally vegetarian
Special diets : No problem to cater for - I didn't tell them about all of my requirements in advance but they were met anyway (mine was mushroom free without cheese)
Entertainment : Superb
Location / Accommodation : Just lovely, very picturesque.
Benefits for me : Relaxation, lots of new cooking ideas for my family, laughter, new friends, easy, I was looked after really well.
Value for money : very good, considerable cheaper than alternatives and you really didn't need to spend any extra money when you got there.

La Roane is a holistic holiday centre in France. I went there on 8th May 2010 for a Yoga and Cooking holiday. I was a little concerned before going because I had never holidayed alone before and never tried this kind of holiday but I was put totally at ease as soon as I arrived. The big pull for me was the food, totally vegetarian and they were happy to cater for my rather odd food requirements. It was really really nice to know that for once I was going to have no worries about my food and would be eating really well.

I took advantage of an airport pickup service and so was met at the airport by Rob, along with another guest and our translator (for the cooking course). The accommodation is split into three houses, the big house (I was here in Lavender room, a really sunny single room with views over the fields) and two barns. The rooms have plenty of wardrobe space - mine had a lockable cupboard, there is a desk, an easy chair, a side table and a bed with duvet, pillows and comfy cushions (great for reading), they are brightly decorated and have pictures based on the rooms theme. There were fresh flowers in the room. The rooms are not en-suite but each house as several bathrooms and wash rooms so there was no problem with privacy and no long waits. Towels are provided.

Things are very relaxed at La Roane, lots of things are on offer but you are not obliged or pressured to do anything. There were 17 people on the course (3 couples and everyone else travelling alone), several people had been to this sort of thing before but lots of people hadn't. The group seemed to gel very quickly, there were no outsiders and everyone seemed to have a place to suit them. Nigel Shamash founded and runs the centre and brings his own special kind of magic to the place. He seems to notice any problems and sorts them out quickly. We had three additional hosts as well, Jaqueline, Liz and Derek, who look after you and make sure that everything is ok for you. There was nothing that I needed that wasn't provided during the week. They went out of their way to make sure everything was perfect.

Each day starts with stretching exercises, led by Nigel Shamash, the owner and founder of La Roane. These were really good fun and a great way to start the day. I also found these a great way to get to know people better and to relax. There was a warmup that often consisted of role play games (walk with confidence, bow to applause etc, nothing scary) and then sorme Chi Gung exercises.

Breakfast is at 9 and is porridge, muesli, toast with butter and jams, cheeses, fruit and yoghurt. The bread is made locally by a small family business that actually grow the grains used in the bread. There is also fruit juice, teas and freshly ground coffee.

There are two sessions for the course being run, for us, one was cooking and one was Yoga and so we were split into two groups based on Yoga ability and alternated each day so that everyone cooked lunches and dinners.

The yoga classes were taken by Tristrem and Yvonne from http://www.yogabodhi.co.uk/. I was a beginner but felt quite at home. The classes were challenging but relaxed and enjoyable. They lasted for two hours but the pace was correct and so this wasn't a problem. There was never an issue if I needed to take a rest - which I did a couple of times. Tristrem and Yvonne were really genuine nice people and had a real love for their art. They were full of encouragement. I plan to attend a weekly yoga class now.

The cooking classes were taken by the resident chef Enzo, we mostly observed him cooking but did try some of the skills. He taught us about different foods and their background as well as demonstrating the recipes. He gave alternatives for ingredients in each recipe so you had 5 or 6 new ideas to try out for each one rather than just one. He showed how to select the best ingredients and also taught knife skills. He taught in French but Sophie translated almost word for word and so we got accurate information delivered in the way that Enzo put it rather than paraphrased information. The food was really really good. Most people on the course were not vegetarian but still seemed to really enjoy the food. I got so many ideas to take home and cook for my family (and have already tried some out - with success).

Lunch was a buffet, with home made soup, two main courses (so perhaps a vegetable gratin and a pasta dish with stir fried veggies and salad or a speciality bread).

Three courses were served for dinner, again a freshly made soup, two mains, a veg and salad / rice or bread. Local wine was served with dinner and was replenished as required, it was good quality and vegetarian.

I ate a huge amount of food in the week, far more than I usually would but the combination of well balanced, high quality ingredients and the exercise from the yoga and walking meant that I actually managed to loose weight, just a pound but a great result for me. I never felt too full either, even in the evenings when the meals were preplated and we had three courses. It was all just about right.

All of the food was freshly made from locally sourced and (were possible) organic ingredients. Nigel has planted a vegetable garden so eventually some of the food will come from the garden.

There were biscuits, fruit and tea / coffee / juice available all of the time. I particularly enjoyed being able to come downstairs in the morning to make myself a cup of tea while I caught up with some reading before getting up.

Three excursions were included in the week (no extra charges), on Sunday we went to the local market which had local produce, pottery and gifts (Yoga/cooking in the afternoon), on Tuesday we went for a walk in the hills, through picturesque villages and then went on to a hillside village for coffee and looking, then on Thursday we went into the local town again to see the historical sites and for more shopping (this was optional as a walk was also offered - Yoga/cooking in the afternoon again).

There was a circle dancing evening as well but I chose to chat with friends and have an early night instead.

I don't sleep well normally but I slept very well at La Roanne, which seems rather like a minor miracle to me. Perhaps it was the lack of responsibility for a week or the fact that I was being looked after for a change.

Two days a week you can book a massage, shiatsu or aromatherapy, I had a shiatsu massage and really enjoyed it.

One of the things I really enjoyed were the nightly singalongs (these were optional - for those of your that hate the idea of this). Simple entertainment, not too serious, just great fun. Lots of chatting at well. Throughout the day people would congregate at various places around the house,s everyone was welcome. We could also walk in the woods or in the local area, swim in the pool, play table tennis, ride bicycles or just relax.

I've been thinking back to my holiday and I can only think of laughing, I honestly think that I laughed more in this last week than I did in the whole of April. It was so good for me - since being home I've carried on laughing, so much so that my daughters have commented on it.

There is time to think about your life as well, being away from everyone and everything and being looked after so well gave me time for this. The course I selected was a life changing course but I had time to look at my life and think about things to change. I was able to talk things through with the other participants. I had a chance to put things into perspective without having to bare my soul to the world. I made some simple decisions to make some achievable changes. I think that I will see long term benefits from this holiday.

I really did love this holiday and would go back tomorrow if I could. I've made new friends that I will hopefully keep in touch with.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
Hotel Restaurant Chez Terrassier
Maison Belmont
Maison Belmont
#1 of 14 in Saint-Antonin Noble Val

Been to La Roane Yoga & Creativity Centre? Share your experiences!