“Weekend break.”

Parc-Le-Breos Guest House
Ranked #1 of 2 Parkmill B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We had a voucher from Time Out Unusual Escapes given to us, and looking for a place to stay near Swansea University, we 'happened upon' Parc-le Breos on the Gower Peninsula surrounded by woodland. What an unexpected find! Relaxed, a cross between a B&B and Guest House which is run by the Edwards family - or namely Olive.
It was a cold weekend but the fires were lit and the large conservatory was very cosy. The family provide a set 3 course supper (rather early for us at 6 pm but it's one sitting to accommodate families as well, so understandable) and there is a very reasonably priced wine list. After a wholesome, home cooked supper we relaxed in the living room, by a log fire, with a couple who were also guests and had a very enjoyable evening. The Guest House also does pony trecking and there are lovely bays to explore close by. It must be a lovely place to stay when the weather is warmer with great walks nearby. The guest house has recently been redecorated and the room was very comfortable. Nothing was too much trouble and the staff were all keen to help whether it be offering tea and home made cake, information on local walks or history about the large 19th century hunting lodge. An atmosphere of warmth and friendliness...

Room Tip: Make sure the heating is on! It's a big old house and takes a lot of heating.....
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Parc-Le-Breos Guest House

Reviewed February 22, 2013

Parc Le Breos Bed & Breakfast at Parkmill in the Gower Peninsula, a former hunting lodge steeped in history, and promising 'fresh flowers, crackling log fires, wholesome home cooked evening meals and a distinctly laid back style'. The long winding drive from Parkmill to Parc Le Breos led through beautiful woodland and opened up to an impressive view of the house facade, fronted by a picturesque walled lawn and terrace, and a quirky stone 'turret' to capture the imagination of any young visitor.
This is where the anticipation of a three day cosy retreat suddenly died just like the dead plants scattering the unkempt terrace, their vivid blue pots jarring uncomfortably against the grey February skies. Parc Le Breos was masquerading as 'Fawlty Towers Revisited', starring Olive as the leading lady in her own sitcom.
Perhaps the sign next to the front door bell should have created an initial sense of unease - 'ring bell and wait' it read. There was no warm welcome to greet us, only a chilly 'yes' from a stern unidentified woman who opened the door - not Olive I might add, for she welcomed us almost immediately with a friendly smile. Sadly her sweatshirt was most unwelcoming, fully loaded with several unsavoury stains - somewhat disconcerting as we had booked to enjoy the delights of her home cooked food that evening.
Our room was not ready, despite having confirmed a 3pm arrival. We were 'shut in' a lounge for 45 minutes whilst our room was prepared. This would have been a beautiful room, newly decorated in opulent purples and expansive views out onto the lawn, except for the prevailing chill and the conspicuous absence of any crackling log fire. We sat in our coats. In fairness, we were offered tea and biscuits, and rather bizarrely orange juice served in a 1970's smoked glass mug. But not a vase of fresh flowers in sight.
Our ground floor room past the kitchen and opposite the laundry was equally chilly, and the oil heater placed in one corner appeared to be having little effect. Pristine white towels had been elegantly rolled and positioned at the end of the bed. Unfortunately the wooden slatted Venetian blind hanging ominously at a slant across the window, the dark tea stain on the white duvet cover, dubious body hairs in the shower and a cushion spilling its contents, did little to raise the spirits. The games room was also 'out of action' due to redecoration.
Yet again disappointment prevailed at dinner, although it was a great relief to see that Olive had now changed her sweatshirt. The menu was equally stuck in the 1970's, the starter a combination of tinned mandarins, raspberry coulis and overripe melon, flavour enhanced with a slight mildew taint. The main course comprised overcooked salmon and tinned sweetcorn. Dessert was a rhubarb crumble with ice cream, but which was in fact surprisingly good. If you enjoy chlorine with your table water, processed sliced bread, copious quantities of dried herb garnish, and tinned 'five a day' then you won't be disappointed. And all this at a bargain price of £18.00 per head!
The fires had now been lit, but still the ambience was chilly. However two sweaters, a gilet and a fan heater buzzing away in the corner of the dining room allowed the meal to be endured without actually suffering any frostbitten extremities. An interesting interlude was provided by the Decorator accompanied by Olive, going backwards and forwards through the dining room seemingly clearing kit at the end of his day's work.
However none of these faux pas could compare with Olive's grand finale of the evening.......having climbed into bed sporting pjs, two pairs of socks and a sweatshirt to combat the cold, we discovered an icy wind blowing around our ears from the window above. A complaint to Olive ensued who proceeded to discard her shoes and climb over our bed and pillows in her socks in an effort to determine the cause of the chill, and all while I remained in bed wrapped in the duvet. It certainly brings a new meaning to the phrase 'menage a trois'! Olive, stood in the window, unhooked the mock curtains to draw them across the window, which did provide some relief from the cold wind but only after she celebrated her achievement gloriously passing gas! Two hot water bottles and a second, albeit dubiously wonky three wheeled oil heater, were also generously provided. Olive was adamant no one had complained about the chill before, 'strange' she said!
With overnight temperatures falling to arctic levels and a pillow that smelt vaguely of vomit, we didn't think it at all strange to check out the following morning even before breakfast. We were warmly welcomed at The King Arthur Hotel in Reynoldstown for a fabulous Welsh Breakfast and great service. And the following night The Premier Inn at Swansea Waterfront was suddenly very appealing, and definitely warmer! As the saying goes 'you know what you're getting with a Premier Inn'!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
15  Thank Tamara R
Reviewed February 17, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here for two nights with a day of horse riding booked. The house is lovely, very homely, warm, and welcoming, just like the owners who could not have been more friendly. Our room was very cosy, the bed was comfy. The breakfast was yummy! The horse riding was also very enjoyable. Would definitely recommend this place for a relaxing countryside getaway.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank luvlyliver
Reviewed February 10, 2013

At first I was a little unsure weather I was going to like our stay here as we usually use apartments or cottages when we work away, and staying in a B&B was a bit of a gamble.
However we absolutely loved our 9 nights stay with Olive and John, they were wonderful hosts and looked after our every need.
The house is fantastic, we pretty much had it to ourselves, the beautiful lounge with large TV and log fire were a welcome sight when finishing work every day.
The bedrooms were tastfully decorated and in keeping with the period of the house.
Plenty of hot water, warm and cosy and the beds were really comfortable.
We had 4 lovely home cooked meals in the evenings. Olive is a great cook.
We left for work each morning too early to have a sit down breakfast but Olive would get up every morning and do a bacon roll and fruit for us to take away. Brilliant service.
The Pool Room was having a make over and I can´t wait to see the finished results when we are back in Wales working again.
Nothing was too much trouble.
Great venue, great hosts, great time.
Thank you Olive and John for making us feel part of the family.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 8, 2013

This lovely historic property couple with the great horse-riding packages make this a wonderful place for a weekend away. The proprietor Olive is warm, welcoming and very accomodating. The breakfast is great too!!
A half day or full day pony trek is wonderful for experiencing the wonderful S Welsh views! We had a great time!

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed February 6, 2013

Originally I wanted to stay in The Mumbles but all the vacancies I found there were disgusting, untidy, partly dirty, unfriendly staff and five star rates for one star offers. Saying B&B and charging 8,50 £ extra for breakfast. It was somehow late in the afternoon, TIC already closed. I had a brochure with me and started phoning some of the houses and finally succeeded at Parc-Le-Breos.
They gave me a very good description how to get there, nice to have even if you use a GPS. When driving to the place you might think your are going to the middle of nowhere. Beautiful landscape. The first glimpse of the house makes you think that you are in a film. Time journey.
When I went in there was nobody to be seen but I found my way to the kitchen. Very busy in there. The landlady gave me a very warm welcome. Impressive person she is.
She showed me around, explained all I had to know and apologized that she could offer me only a family room. There is an extra charge for single occupancy but that seems to get more and more common all over GB.
I would not stay in that room with four persons but for a single traveller or a couple it's perfect. Spacious beds with firm mattresses. Spacious bathroom. Everything absolutely clean and well kept. XL size TV screen. WLAN signal not so strong due to thick walls. It was stronger in the sitting room and later in the night I had no problems in my room.
I sat for some time in the sitting room and would have liked to meet some other guests but they prefered to go to bed quite early. Anyway it's nice enough to sit there even if alone. I loved the creaking of the floor when walking around - reminded me of my childhood ;-)
I had a perfect sleep with open window. No noise at all.
Next morning I took a walk because my inner clock was still continental. Phantastic scenery. Short walk to the coast. Lovely.
Breakfast was very good, very friendly staff. A good variety of cereals, jams and marmelades and fruit. Some of the staff seemed to be trainees - but eager and friendly trainees. No real welsh breakfast for the laverbread was missing ;-)
I could hear that some people at other tables thanked the staff for the dinner they had had the night before. Many compliments.
When I checked out I had a little talk with the landlady. Quite funny. She again apologized that I had to stay in a family room and we talked a bit about local attractions and where to go and what to do. Nice conversation it was.
It depends a bit in what you are looking for but when you want to be away from it all, just want to enjoy the beautiful country side and a good service in a very very old building it's worth a visit.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed January 19, 2013

A 2 night stay in such a beautiful peaceful retreat. Myself and my partner usually go abroad and stay in luxury hotels but this year decided to do just a few short breaks. It took a lot of pursuading for my partner to agree to staying at quabs. We both enjoyed our stay and made the most if our time there. We walked to the beach the day after we arrived , it was definetely worth the treck. The beach is so unspoilt and natural. We had breakfast which is included in the price in the main hotel, it was all cooked fresh and plentiful. The staff were very friendly and there was a lovely calming atmosphere throughout the hotel. Would love to return in 2013 and maybe try pony trekking

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Parkmill
Oxwich Bay Hotel
Shoreline
Shoreline
#1 of 3 in Mumbles
Norton House Hotel & Restaurant

Been to Parc-Le-Breos Guest House? Share your experiences!