“La Bella Vita in Tuscany”
Review of Palazzo Malaspina

Palazzo Malaspina
Reviewed May 5, 2014

We stayed here for four magical nights in the pink room. The view from the balcony is everything one dreams of when you imagine being in Tuscany. When we arrived the Wifi was not connecting. Upon telling Maria she immediately contacted someone who arrived and fixed it pronto and also allowed us to use her personal computer to complete a transaction. Maria and Mary, who works there, could not have been more accommodating and charming. And the breakfasts....mouth watering and delicious. Maria could open her own bakery! We have nothing but great things to say about staying here. We will be back!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
PalazzoMalaspina, Proprietario at Palazzo Malaspina, responded to this reviewResponded May 12, 2014

Dear Robin,

Thank you for sharing your experience at Palazzo Malaspina.
I'm so glad for your lines about me, my B&B and the village of San Donato in Poggio.
I try to do all my best to guarantee a grateful experience to my guests!
Next time I will reserve for you the room with the Jacuzzi tub!

Best Regards,

Reviewed April 28, 2014

We stayed with Maria at the Palazzo Malaspina for 4 nights. We got there late the first night due to getting delayed in Rome. It was late and Maria still accomodated us even though we were well past the check in time. We had one of the rooms with the terrace. Got there after dark and in the morning opened the doors to the terrace to see Tuscany in all its splender. Mary, the girl that works there with Maria ( the owner ) took excellent care of us, making breakfasts to order and helping with suggestions for the days ahead in our travels through Tuscany. The building is spectacular, just like in the pictures, there were no hidden (bad) surprises. The town is small, but hey, your only sleeping there, Tuscany is at your finger tips. there are a few restaurants, a bank (you will need the ATM) a grocery store, and maybe a few others. Parking is near by, but with just a slight walk back to the Palazzo. The price can't be beat for all you get. If i were to go to Tuscany again I would stay there again for sure. But next time, I would get the room with the Jaccuzi, after walking thru the towns, up the hills, down the hills, up the steps and down the steps, a nice soak would feel sooooooooooo good at night. Ciao.

Room Tip: If you want the view get a room with the terrace..if you want to heal after a long day of site seein...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JoeEM

Dear Joe and Jaci,

Thank you for writing your experience at Palazzo Malaspina!
Next time in Tuscany I will reserve a special room with a Jacuzzi Tub for relaxing after your excurions in Chianti!

Best Regards,

Reviewed April 27, 2014

Palazzo Malispina was wonderful! My friend and I wanted to stay someplace in the Chianti region and San Donato was perfect--right between Florence and Siena. Maria and Mary were marvelous--very helpful with planning our days. The Palazzo was beautiful. And the breakfasts were the best of our trip, especially Maria's cakes and the scrambled eggs. We would definitely stay there again! Bellisima!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
PalazzoMalaspina, Proprietario at Palazzo Malaspina, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2014

Dear Valery,

Oh wow! Thank you for writing these lovely lines about your experience at Palazzo Malaspina!
I really appreciate your opinion and I'm so glad of your satisfaction about your stay.

I hope to see again next time in Tuscany, there are a lot of sweet things you have yet to try for breakfast! ;)

Reviewed April 27, 2014

There are many positive things to say about this B&B, but overall we were disappointed. First the good things - the town is lovely and very convenient to the highway, as well as small towns in the area. Breakfast is very good and service is wonderful. Room are clean and well maintained. The disappointing - We stayed in Room # 5 which was large and private, but was very, very dark and did not have views of the countryside (but overlooked the town). If you want privacy, this is the room for you. But if you want sunlight and a view, it is not. Maria, the owner/operator is a very nice woman but not available. She checked us in and promptly disappeared. If she is in the inn at breakfast, she is very helpful and will assist with reservations, etc. However, if she is not, then there is no way to contact her during the day (at least she did not offer any options and it was our impression that she did not want to be disturbed). In our 5 days, she was at breakfast for 3 of the days. If we go back to Tuscany we would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the countryside
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank honesttrav12
PalazzoMalaspina, Proprietario at Palazzo Malaspina, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing your opinion about your stay at Palazzo Malaspina.
I apologize for your disappointing about the Room, but you stayed in an antique furnished ambience with original furniture belonged to my Father's cousin with a typical overlook on the medieval village of San Donato. Most of my guests are excited to live a similar experience!

I apologize again if you felt not assisted during your stay. As you told, during the breakfast I usually assist my guests in planning their daily activities, but sometimes there is Mary, my delicious assistant, that cover my possible absences and speaks and understand english very well.

I manage my B&B only by myself, so can happen that I'm busy becouse of thousand of things to do, but most of them are only to guarantee the best experience to my Guests, like preparing cakes for breakfast, doing the shopping to local farms or markets and other daily duties. Although, I'm always available for any requirement because I live there, in the same Palazzo!

Thank you again and I hope to welcome back at Palazzo Malaspina!

Reviewed April 22, 2014

My stay at Palazzo Malaspina was the highlight of my recent trip to Italy. All those beautiful images of Tuscany you see in books or on line, are right there at your doorstep, in this lovely little hilltop village. The village itself is surrounded by an ancient wall and Pallazo Malaspina is located right in the centre of the village, a very handsome stone building located on a cobblestoned street. Inside you are warmly greeted by Maria and Mary and you immediately feel as though you have come to stay with friends in their Tuscan home. The bedrooms are very comfortable, with a view over the rest of the village and towards the Tuscan landscape. Bathrooms are lovely with large fluffy white towels and a really good hair dryer. I looked forward to breakfast every morning which included several home made and locally grown products, great coffee and the option of eggs and bacon. The welcome bottle of local red wine was a nice touch and much appreciated. Maria was very helpful with local knowledge, places to visit and even where to park the car on a day trip to Firenze. A really nice surprise about the location - even though it is a delightfully small and traditional Tuscan village, is, it certainly is not lacking in facilities. There are several dining options within the village and the restaurant next door was just excellent. There is an ATM and a store where you can purchase basic grocery items, cheese, bread and drinks. Its only a 5 minute drive to the freeway that connects Firenze and Sienna, and there are plenty of country roads to explore the surrounding countryside. AND the wifi signal is nice and strong! I would not hesitate to recommend Palazzo Malaspina to fellow travellers, I sincerely hope that I have the privilege of returning one day.

Room Tip: Only a few rooms to choose from, they are all lovely.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 19, 2014

This is a great home base when visiting Tuscany. This B & B is top-notch. The owner, Maria, was a wonderful hostess who helped us with winery and restaurant options. Malaspina is located in the heart of Tuscany, convenient to Siena and Florence. The breakfasts were amazing and the Cappuccino was the best. Maria's assistant, Mary, was wonderful, and made some of the best scrambled eggs I have ever eaten.

Room Tip: Aske for room 1 or 2 which has a fabulous view of the hills and vineyards
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed April 14, 2014

Four of us stayed 6 nights, from April 5-11, 2014. It is a Renaissance Palazzo updated for modern comfort, yet maintains its old charms. Maria is the owner and Mary assists her with breakfast and tending to the guests. The breakfasts advertised on the website are delicious, with fresh fruit, meats, cheese, and pastries baked by Maria daily. Also Mary will cook eggs to order and she makes the best cappuchino in Italy, and you can have as much as you want! The Palazzo is in San Donato, a tiny medieval town with good restaurants and ATMs close by. It is centrally located in the Chianti region, so is perfect for a stay in Tuscany. The rates are very reasonable, and parking is free, although don't bring a big car! By the time we left, we felt like family.

Room Tip: Rooms 1 & 2 share a small balcony with great views of the countryside.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near San Donato in Poggio
4 mi away
Villa Le Barone
Villa Le Barone
#1 of 5 in Panzano in Chianti
0 mi away
Le Terrazze del Chianti Bed & Breakfast
Le Terrazze del Chianti Bed & Br...
#2 of 5 in San Donato in Poggio
#1 of 2 in San Rocco a Pilli
B&B Le Undici Lune
B&B Le Undici Lune
#3 of 67 in San Gimignano

Been to Palazzo Malaspina? Share your experiences!