The Wroxeter Hotel
The Haughmond(Upton Magna)
$124
$107
Hotels.com
Holiday Inn Express Shrewsbury(Shrewsbury)(Great Value!)
$60
HIExpress.com
Buckatree Hall Hotel(Telford)(Great Value!)
$64
  • Room Service
Love2Stay(Shrewsbury)
Lord Hill Hotel(Shrewsbury)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsroman ruinsfour poster bedwedding breakfastbridal suiteroman banquetbride and groomlovely surroundingswedding venuewedding receptionpot roastcream teafull englishfollowing morningshropshire countrysideshort breaknight's sleepexcellent value for money
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Another group-buying site voucher deal, two nights B&B with a Roman banquet included. We made our way the short distance from Ironbridge to Wroxeter to arrive at the Wroxeter Hotel just before the light failed, in time to still be able to see the large number of statues in a variety of classical poses dotting the grounds. The original hotel building has been added to over the years with a large amount of conservatory space on the ground floor, which must be great for weddings in warmer weather, and a block of newer rooms along one side which I think must have been built on a budget, judging by the squeaky floors and paper thin walls. When I read previous reviewers' comments about thinking that the people next door were in the same room as them, I thought they were exaggerating, but they weren't. If you are a light sleeper, take earplugs! Otherwise your neighbours on one side who don't stop talking until 1am will stop you going to sleep and your neighbours on the other side getting up at 5am for a protracted shower and associated activities will wake you with a start, and if either of them snore heavily then your night's rest is doomed! However, for a short stay it was fine, with a nice view of fields and alpacas, and we don't spend that much time in the room anyway.
We booked a table for dinner on arrival, went to the bar for a pre-dinner drink and were pleased by the range of draughts available and the comfy seating. We ate in the restaurant on the first night from the ordinary menu (wish I had thought to book ahead for the table d'hôte as we could have tried fidget pie, which sounded very good) and the food was reasonable, we chose from the Sunday lunch menu. Less pleasing were the chairs in the restaurant which were covered in fabric covers like wedding function chairs but in a dark brown colour and in a slippery material which seemed to conspire with the fabric of my trousers - I'll leave the details to your imagination but let's just say I chose not to wear a man made fibre the next night. My husband complained that the chairs were uncomfortable to sit on and gave him no support, so neither of us wanted to sit there for too long.
Breakfast on both days was cooked freshly to order and was very tasty, there was also a range of branded cereals and some fruit juices on a side table, and we were offered toast, also done fresh to order, as well as tea and coffee. Staff were always pleasant and helpful, even if sometimes the same face seemed to pop up everywhere, at the bar then in the restaurant.
A few things bemused us, like at breakfast time no one seemed to co-ordinate the service, so if you managed to arrive when no one was looking you could wait for ages before a member of staff came in, other times you could be asked twice by two different staff members if you wanted toast. Obviously I'd rather be asked twice than not at all, but why not have a plan of service?
The highlight of the stay was of course the Roman banquet on the second night. No one knew quite what to expect but the hotel is obviously well-practiced in this by now. We were called through to the Triclinium (which had been just the dining room the previous night) which was set up with one big rectangular table for all 22 diners to share. A gentleman who must have been the owner or general manager of the hotel spent about 15 minutes explaining the background to Roman dining, the history of the Romans in Britain and particularly Wroxeter, and then the waiting staff brought in the first course, a beef consommé served in a coffee cup. We were a bit ashamed not to have made an effort to dress up, although one brave couple did, everyone else had decided it was too cold for togas, but the waiting staff had done their bit too. Although we were all seated on one table, each couple were then served the next 8 courses in one go on a platter between 2, with a jug of honeyed wine between 4. Quite a range of tastes on one plate! The last 3 starters came next, all the fishy ones except for the crab cakes, followed by a jug of red wine and the pork ribs with a useful finger bowl to clean up afterwards! The dessert platter was another tasty assortment, with fruit as well as a piece of baklava and a sweet raisin tart each. We were completely stuffed by this point and retired from the table, the whole enjoyable experience had lasted 2 and a half hours.
The following morning we woke to a light covering of snow outside which was enough to deter us from exploring the rest of Roman Wroxeter (I know, lightweights) so maybe we'll come back in warmer weather for another visit, when the vineyard is also open! I can thoroughly recommend a short stay at the Wroxeter Hotel to experience the Roman banquet, but unless you sleep like the dead don't go for a long stay without upgrading to a more substantially built room.

Room Tip: Consider paying to upgrade from a standard room if you need your sleep
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 14, 2013

We went with a groupon voucher and had a 2 night stay with roman banquet, the 16 course meal was a wonderful highlight to our weekend, everything was fantastic and we couldn't fault anything. A beautiful location and a good amount of parking space.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Giddypig
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Eight friends stayed for the week-end 4-6 Jan, booked through Groupon. We were originally due to go in October but the hotel cancelled (probably due to needing rooms for wedding).
The rooms were very clean and comfy. The hotel had thrown in afternoon tea due to the cancellation and this was lovely, little (fresh) salmon, ham, cheese sandwiches, scone, cream and preserve and a square of fruit cake, plus tea or coffee. The Roman banquet was an experience, but not to everyone's liking, I would not have wanted to pay £35 for it. The breakfast was freshly cooked and all the staff were very helpful and friendly.

The Wroxeter could do better, but for a family-run hotel, I would prefer it to a large chain of hotels, which I find very impersonal.

I would certainly stay there again and the surrounding countryside is lovely.

Room Tip: Probably better to stay when there is not a wedding on, although there must be one nearly every week-end.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 3, 2013

A very warm welcome from the reception staff on our arrival, (fourteen of us in the party) ample space to sit down and relax in the bar area awaiting the rest of the party. We were led through to our table which was dressed to a high standard,the best Christmas Day lunch i have ever eaten,and we have been dining out for several Christmases,real turkey,all the trimmings,lots of vegetables extra gravy, bread sauces, we have large appetites and could not finish everything!Superb, could not fault this meal, service or location, can recommend this lunch to anybody,would certainly return,nobody but nobody left The Wroxeter hungry Christmas Day.

Room Tip: Did not stay.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 19, 2012

Whatever you do be very aware in advance of the complete lack of Customer Service and Care and the total disregard for Customers when thinking of Booking this Hotel. To make matters worse I was lied to when recently contacting the Hotel.

I phoned the Hotel in late November and booked an available week-end away during March 2013. To accommodate the available dates I changed certain agendas and appointments at some expense.

I then received a letter some time after Booking stating that due to a technical hitch the booking had to be cancelled. It is my belief that they allocated my room to another party as the Hotel does conduct Weddings and in all probability they had a need for my room.

When I questioned the fact that I spoke to a receptionist who confirmed that the room was available on the date agreed a Manager suggested that the technical hitch was to blame. Why then was the receptionist able to advise me when booking that I could not stay on certain other week-ends due to the Hotel being fully occupied. Would not the technical hitch have covered all week-ends and Bookings?
In addition I then spoke to a manager who advised that Groupon were advised of the cancelation yet when I contacted Groupon direct they told me that they had not had any communication with The Wroxeter Hotel since August 17th. 2012.

The choice is yours but I would most strongly suggest that you look for other options as and plans that you make with this Hotel are extremely questionable and I do not want you to suffer the same issues and aggravation with incompetent staff and management. Incidentally the Owners always seem to be out or unavailable. How very convenient.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!