“Not your usual curry-house experience”

Dorrington Old Hall Persian Cuisine
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Dorrington
Cuisines: Persian
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Buffet, Reservations
Description: Persian influenced fusion Cuisine - first for the county - at the elegant Black and White, timber framed, building that dates back to the 13th Century; contemporary atmosphere, with a present-day décor, pleasing to the eye. Cuisine renowned for its elaborate rice dishes, delicious kababs, nourishing soups and hearty stews. Persians delicately flavour their food with herbs, spices and dried fruits. A variety of nan-like breads supplement rice.
Reviewed November 12, 2013

We usually steer clear of curry-houses with their bowls of viscous brown sludge containig un- identifiable chunks of, presumably, something edible with pools of ghee glistening on top! Being vegetarian is not an enviable experience with non-meat alternatives being such delicacies as vegetable biryiani or (heaven help us) egg curry!
We had heard good things about the Old Hall and- getting tired of over-priced pretensions to 'fine dining' in the Ludlow area- thought we'd give it a go as we do enjoy proper curry ie dishes which allow the flavour of the main ingredient to blend with subtle flavourings and not setting one's throat aflame.
First impressions:
Wow, a menu with many vegetarian options
Sparkling white tablecloth
Clean cutlery
No loud music bombarding our ears but just soothing background sounds
Plenty of space
Pleasant welcome
Pristine rest-rooms

We decided to have the taster banquet- not quite believing the price.... the whole meal being less than fish and chips at one of our more illustrious Ludlow Eateries.... could it be any good? A resounding YES!
We started with three 'dips; and the most delicious pieces of nan-bread we'd had since India... Light/airy and obviously done on an open fire as they were just a bit 'toasty'. Each element was simple but with such delicate and interesting flavours that set the palate dancing. In addition there were wonderful Pakora-like pieces which melted in the mouth and a small, refreshing, salad.
Then the mains. This Chef can do things with pulses that would delight the gods on mount olympus. A sublime potato and broccoli curry and two types of rice; not the congealed stuff that's rammed into a cup andf upended onto your plate but light, fluffy flakes infused with rose and herb water. Although none of the dishes were too 'hot' we were both infused with an inner warmth by the end of the courses.
Now the pudding was one step too far, really. We were both full but keen to try out another Persian delicacy. My heart sank when I saw the choice! As one who was force-fed on Rice pudding, tapioca pudding, semolina pudding and such things, the mere thought of anything like that would normally be enough to send me screaming and shouting for the nearest exit. Having recently been trekking in Nepal, however, I thought I could try anything so I steeled myself to face something with vermicelli!!!! cooked in milk. It did have a few magic words, 'tho, 'honey, rose-water and cinammon'.
Well, the good Doctor/Chef should have this made on prescription for the NHS because, were I to be languishing in bed with a dose of flu and given this puddiing, I would leap out of bed, forthwith and sing 'Oh What A Beautiful Morning'.
Am I going over the top?... no. We both decided this was one of the best meals we've had in this area and absolutely excellent value for money. We'll be back again very soon and will have to face the agonizing choice as to whether to choose the set banquet or individual items, thereby not being able to savour the whole menu. I think I'll go for the banquet again.

1  Thank redplastictrombone
Ijlaljan, Owner at Dorrington Old Hall Persian Cuisine, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2013

Oh my goodness Sir John P!

I have never been this touched with a review for my food, ever! Thank you so much for the spectacularly special write up! I am touched!

I am ever so grateful to you and am looking forwarding to welcoming you back again!

Thank you, once again, Sir!

Lal

Reviewed November 7, 2013

This was the first experience of Persian food but hopefully not the last.The restaurant was warm and welcoming and the car park was near the entrance saving a walk in the rain..
We decided to try the Banquet menu as the menu offered both this or a full list of different dishes.
What a surprise was in store the food was both plentiful and wonderful in taste,each dish had flavours we had never experienced before both subtle,fragrant with flavours to enhance the palate.
The wine list was comprehensive and local beers were available.
The staff were attentive but not overpowering.
A very pleasant experience and well worth the visit.

Ijlaljan, Owner at Dorrington Old Hall Persian Cuisine, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2013

Dear Robwilliams01

I am truly grateful to you for such a lovely review! We all are absolutely delighted to learn that you enjoyed your experience with us!

Thank you so much for dining here and especially for your text praising us, which was such a fantastic personal touch!

I look forward to welcoming you back, hopefully, in not too distant future!

Kind regards

Lal and team

Reviewed October 27, 2013

Firstly a note to the owner - Lal. Stop going on and on about peoples spelling or incorrect grammar or punctuation when you're responding to anything less than 100% perfect reviews - what "we" (the potential diner) mostly cares about is good food and a good dining experience. Poor grammar, spelling etc is now commonplace as people use abbreviated words for texting etc, and people rely on spell checkers which don't of course, correct grammar. YOUR OWN WEBSITE HAS NUMEROUS SPELLING AND GRAMMAR MISTAKES - THE SAME SORT OF WHICH YOU SEEM TO TAKE GREAT PLEASURE IN POINTING OUT AS OTHER PEOPLES SHORT COMINGS, so I suggest you concentrate more on addressing the points or issues raised by your diners, so future diners can be assured of a good dining experience and not trying to give a spelling/grammar lesson when clearly you yourself are in need of one with your own website! - what we "the diners" want is just some good food in good surroundings with good service. So, with all of that said, there were great signs above the door directing us into the restaurant, (and one above the door when leaving to confirm your heading for the exit) also 3 members of staff were in the bar/restaurant area when we arrived. Also we noted on entering the large party table was laid, and so we wondered if service might be stretched a bit when the additional diners arrived. I'm pleased to say the service was great, nice and attentive, the buffet hot food was as good if not better than the first time we visited. The fish in particular is worthy of a special mention as it was absolutely delicious, as was the award winning dish. The starter has changed slightly, now with some olives and onions, and slightly smaller dip portions to go with the bread - I think it was better the first time around. Yes I recommend this restaurant to anyone to try, and yes I will return, and probably numerous times, so do not mis-read the fact dining here is a very nice and pleasant experience, and something a bit different, but (Lal) please do not continually go on about un-important spelling or grammar issues. - It simply detracts from the more important comments or issues a restaurant and a chef should be concerned with when responding to less than perfect reviews!

1  Thank ShropsFoody

Dear ShropsFoody

Thank you so much for your comprehensive review and especially for pointing out my overzealous correction of people's English! Once an English teacher, always an English teacher! In fact, before I trained as a surgeon, that's what I did! So, please accept my apologies for being that critical, not realising that I was doing it! Believe me, it was impulsive and not intentional!! I shall make a deliberate effort, not to do so in future!

As regards the website mistakes, to be honest, I have not seen it as I trusted the leading company that only designs and hosts top UK restaurant websites: Leisure Marketing Ltd. I have had a word with them since; I apologise on their behalf too!

Nevertheless, I am pleased to learn that you still enjoyed your return visit! We are striving to get things as perfect as we are able to. I regret the dip size, as it may have been served by my new sou chef (they are still made by me!) I have spoken to him and ave already rectified that!

Thank you for your special compliments for the fish and the award winning dish! Also, glad that you appreciate our signs!

Lal

Reviewed October 11, 2013

There were four of us, two vegetarians, and we all had variated meals which were excellent, and in a splended unusual enviroment

Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

Visited this restaurant, on a Saturday night unaware that the restaurant was a buffet, however, this was awesome as it meant I could sample more of the dishes! The starter, a delicious naan style bread with an amazing aubergine dip, was superb, as was the humous. The main course buffet was delicious, and varied in taste, texture and spice. I spoke to the chef afterwards and he informed me that there were no colourings in the dishes, which set the dishes apart from other restaurants offering similar cuisine. An enjoyable dining experience!