“Try it soon!!”

Dorrington Old Hall Persian Cuisine
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Dorrington
Cuisines: Persian
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Buffet, Reservations
Description: Persian influenced fusion Cuisine - first for the county - at the elegant Black and White, timber framed, building that dates back to the 13th Century; contemporary atmosphere, with a present-day décor, pleasing to the eye. Cuisine renowned for its elaborate rice dishes, delicious kababs, nourishing soups and hearty stews. Persians delicately flavour their food with herbs, spices and dried fruits. A variety of nan-like breads supplement rice.
Reviewed January 15, 2013

I hadn't set foot in this building for nearly 30 years. In those days it was called 'The Country Friends', it was a first date, and I had to go and check my wallet between courses to make sure I could afford to pay the bill.

My next visit was last week - the contrast with all those years ago couldn't be greater. As another reviewer, it was so quiet when we arrived I wasn't sure the restaurant was open. Opening the door to the bar was a like that film scene where one is suddenly hit by warmth, a buzz of conversation, the smell of great food and a big smile from the staff. Our friends were waiting with a drink and all was well!

After being shown to our table an appetiser turned up - salad, humus, aubergine dip and bread - and was despatched while we caught up with news from our friends.

We had decided to take advantage of the Friday night buffet and were led, armed with plates, to the room with the food. It all looked wonderful and we were spoiled for choice. I'd not eaten Persian cuisine before but had hoped it would be similar to other Middle-Eastern food with lots of fragrance and light on spice and texture. I wasn't disappointed.

Two types of rice, cous-cous, two chicken dishes (one very hot), a kind of lamb tagine, potatos, spinach, lentils - I tried them all, and then went back for more just to check that I was right about how good it all was.

The owner of the restaurant came to our table to check that we were enjoying ourselves (we were, immensely). I bumped in to the chef as he was refilling the food pots and had a very interesting conversation with him about the differences between his food and other Eastern dishes.

All in all, a really good evening, excellent food, lovely ambience, and we'll be back, with others.

1  Thank Teeaitch
Ijlaljan, Owner at Dorrington Old Hall Persian Cuisine, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2013

Dear Teeaitch

I am truly grateful to you for writing up such a wonderful review on our behalf. Your each and every remark is simply munificent! Thank you.

I really am delighted to learn that you enjoyed the entire experience and not just the food. Moreover, I am overjoyed to note that you found us as good value; that remains a general consensus amongst our guests.

Review like yours make the whole effort worthwhile, while we are constantly striving to surmount!

Once again, thank you so much and we look forward to welcoming you, soon.

Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

Great food the starter was fab ,the best nan bread ever. Great range of food too choose from and very good

nice place and freindly staff i would recomend too anyone

Ijlaljan, Owner at Dorrington Old Hall Persian Cuisine, responded to this reviewResponded January 26, 2013

Dear mrchrisShrewsbury

Thank you so very much for the short, but extremely sweets review. I am truly overjoyed to learn that you relished the cuisine, liked the place and appreciated the service.

I am genuinely grateful to you for the warmhearted recommendation.

Reviewed December 30, 2012

First off this is not strictly a Shrewsbury restaurant as it's a good 15 minutes from most parts of the town going south towards Church Stretton, but there is parking outside. We've been here 3 times in 2012 and the food never fails to impress. There's a wide variety including vegetarian and a fish option and the care taken and quality of ingredients used shines through. It's also very good value if you arrive with a hearty appetite as return visits to the buffet are welcomed!

The front of house on arrival is so laid back it did on one visit feel like they weren't actually expecting any customers even though we'd booked, but is always friendly and attentive once the food stage is reached. The eccentricity comes from the chef/patron who does his schtick about all the dishes in some detail exactly the same way every time you go and to every group of diners when they go through to the buffet servery for main courses - not the usual restaurant experience! The food varies in heat and is full of strong and distinct flavours and rich textures, but without the heaviness that can blight other spicy foods or curries. This is certainly not your usual 'curry house'!

The premises do let the whole experience down quite a lot though - it's all perfectly clean but looks like it was decorated on the cheap by 10 year olds and the fixtures and fittings are all rather tired. I think this might rule it out a 'special occasion' dining venue but hopefully the continued success of the restaurant will allow a budget for these relatively minor issues to be addressed.

In summary - great food, great value, friendly relaxed service and a good night out. Highly recommended.

1  Thank ratherbeathome

Dear ratherbeathome

Many thanks for a lovely review and for appreciating our cuisine so wholeheartedly! I am elated to find out that you paid us several visits during last year and have always enjoyed the food, finding it consistent every time.

I regret the fact that you felt our service was laid back at the time of welcoming you, but subsequently things did pick up! I've had some words with the relevant people! I am grateful to you for the feedback.

I like you comparing me with a clown, but you see, food isn't just my passion, it has become an obsession; especially since I began cooking as a profession! I therefore, verbalise about my cuisine (as much as I can) in the short space of time while taking the guests for the Culinary Selection (Buffet)! Who knows, it might die out with age!

A special thank you for pointing out that it is not the usual 'Curry House'!

I shall disagree with your comment that the place was 'decorated on the cheap'! For instance, the rugs on walls range in price from £500 to £ 2000 and I am sure that you will agree, this is not a cheap fix, especially when comparing to hanging modern pictures instead! This is certainly are not the choice of a 10 year old! I have kept the light fixtures simple in order to provide a mellow and indirect light, rather than using snazzy fittings and chandeliers! It helps in maintaining a Middle Eastern look. Thank you for your point of view and I have always believed that one never stops learning in a life time; I might rethink now!

Nevertheless, I remain grateful to you as ever and certainly look forward to welcoming you back in 2013, as well.

Reviewed November 29, 2012

Not knowing Persian food we didn't know what to expect.The food was definitely not "curry and kebab". All was a very pleasant surprise.... gourmet food and attention from an enthusiastic chef, different tastes and a really nice experience. A special place.

Ijlaljan, Owner at Dorrington Old Hall Persian Cuisine, responded to this reviewResponded February 9, 2013

Dear Mike S

First of all, thank you for taking the risk to experiment our cuisine. Secondly, many thanks for clearing that is is not curry n kebab! Most importantly, I am truly grateful to you for taking the time to write the wondrous review.

I am most gladdened to find out that you enjoyed your meal. Thank you so much for calling us a "A Special Place".

I look forward to seeing you, again, whenever you are in the area.

Lal

Reviewed November 24, 2012

We went for dinner at the Old Hall Persian Restaurant last weekend. Being a party of 9 ( 2 families) we made sure to book beforehand. The owner was very helpful during the phone booking, he even noticed that we would be having a drive of about 45 minutes to get there.
None of us had ever had Persian cuisine before and so we , like many, opted for the culinary selection buffet where we could choose what we wanted from a selection of dishes. A selection of freshly made dips, olives and flatbreads were presented to us as appetisers . These were all extremely tasty and set the mood for a relaxing evening to come. The main dishes were again very tasty - various rice and couscous dishes, beautifully flavoured lamb and chicken dishes, vegetarian lentil and pulses. All foods had a brief description typed above their large pots so we all knew what kind of flavours to expect. Desserts were also available, and these too, were extremely tasty.
The owner and his family were around to explain any things we were unsure of. They were also very happy to offer any personal recommendations when we asked for their help. The owner/chef was extremely friendly and welcoming. He happily spoke to his customers during the evening. When he got to our table, we found him a most pleasant man. We ended up having our photographs taken by his brother in law who was going back to Iran the following week!He is a quietly spoken man who wants to give culinary pleasure! He certainly succeeded with our group.
Did we have a wonderful evening? Yes! Would we recommend the Old Hall Persian restaurant? Yes! Will we going back to the Old Hall Persian restaurant? Try stopping us!!!

4  Thank hensathome