“Excellent Reps!”

Les Villages du Bachat
Reviewed April 9, 2012

We stayed in Chamrousse over Christmas 2011. The apartment was typically French,small by U.K. standards! Apartment was right by the slopes, you could literally ski to the door! Skiing area is small but well suited to beginners and early intermediates. We travelled with Crystal and cannot praise the reps Amy and Jess enough. They were helpful at all times and very knowledgeable about the resort, Amy in particular had a great knowledge of the slopes and the runs. They have my admiration for being able to deal effectively with checking in guests for the M Vacance people, who were so badly organised as to be laughable! Cleaning arrangements were a problem but again M Vacance were at fault. Not much to do in an evening but Igor and Dou Dou's restaurant was excellent and K Docs bar could be lively. All in all a good value resort to learn to ski in, well suited to families.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank robert b

Reviewed April 5, 2012

We stayed at appartments Asters E from 11/2/2012-17/2/2012. Two grandparents, two parents and two boys 11 and 8 years. We had an appartment for 6 and from previous experience of French accommodation were a bit apprehensive. However, the two bedrooms were of adequate size. Grandparents slept on a sofa bed which meant moving the table but it was not a problem. The appartment was very clean with good storage space and separate B'room and toilet, much appreciated. Ski storage good. After reading previous reviews we took mugs and travel kettle. Well worth it. Don't bother with TV only French programmes.The two local shops, Casino and Sherpa, were well stocked but can run low on fresh goods during the week. The free lift passes, for how long I wonder, made this an excellent value for money resort. The lifts were very close by at 1750 but could be busy first thing and after lunch.Best to go before or after the rush and the same applies to the mountain cafes. We tended to have a light late morning snack and an early evening meal because, as usual we were worn out after skiing all day.1750 tends to have the easier slopes compared to1650 so is better for beginners. The access to the piste from the road can be very slippy and could be improved with a metal stair. Unfortunately one of our party slipped and broke her hip at this point so take care! The access to the apartments at 5.0pm is a nuisance but is the fault of M Vacance not the reps. Suggest you ensure good grips on your boots for walking round the village, pack warm clothes near the top of the bags together with "bum sledges" to occupy the kids on the nursery slope. Fetching the linen is a minor nuisance but is not far from the appartment.
The cleaning arrangements are a problem. There is only a brush and dustpan and hand brush provided. You are expected to leave your card details on arrival and there is a fine of 47 euros if you do not clean well enough. If you have an early departure,before inspection, there is a risk that it will be deducted from your card even if you felt that you had cleaned adequately. If you can afford it I suggest paying for cleaning in advance.
Finally, we cannot praise the Crystal reps, Jess and Amy, too highly. Not only did they show calm control dealing with 160 arrivals and their problems, they were always at their contact points and when our accident occurred they pulled out all the stops to help us with all the necessary paper work and making alternative travel arrangements.
Overall a very good resort, we have been to over 50, which is well worth a second visit.

Room Tip: Rooms facing south are sunnier and quieter. Check the floor areas for different appartments.
1  Thank Graham K
Reviewed March 27, 2012

Visited the area over the new year, views are beautiful, my apartment was at the bottom of the slopes about 1 minute away from the slope skiing, the people were very friendly, we ate in chez doudou several times, lena is very friendly! le bachat the other restaurant was always a little too full. the pool area there was lovely and refreshing after a days skiing! the apartments are very clean but the rule is make sure it's as clean when you're leaving as when you got there! There's a shop there called sherpa which is good value!

• Stayed: December 2011
3  Thank cathy_o_sullivan
Reviewed February 19, 2012

We have just arrived home after a weeks skiing in Chamrousse. We loved it!! We are a family of 6..at differing skiing abilities. Our apartment was so much better than we expected, having read reviews we were a little worried...but we were very impressed...the view from our balcony was amazing and the apartment itself was very sweet and perfect for our needs. We booked our children into private ski lessons with ESF and they proved to be marvellous. The snow fall was brill and the slopes just fab...perfect for us and our children. The restaurants we ate in were the Creperie and Le bachat...both were pleasant and adequete for us...although you do have to make sure you book. Overall we loved Chamrousse and will definatetly return next year!!

5  Thank Rachel S
Reviewed February 19, 2012

We booked through a groupon offer - our first surprise was that although groupon had taken the money from my credit card for a 4 bed apartment, snowtrex informed us we had to pay an extra £250, because none of the 'sleeps 4' apartments were available. Replacements offered were not seemingly at an offer price, so we committed to pay the extra for a 'sleeps 6' apartment. As we are a family of 4, we looked forward to some extra space, only to be surprised again by the small size of the apartment when we arrived. For 4 people there was just enough room, with almost no storage space at all. We had to live out of suitcases and 'stack' clothes on the floor. Hardly any hooks or anything to hang clothes on, we used the extra 2 chairs, but not ideal. 6 people living here for a week would have been very difficult, as it was hard enough for the 4 of us.
The balcony faced south and had a good view, with south east aspect.
We had booked ski hire through snowtrex, as it was the easiest option. So had everyone else it seemed and snowtrex had sent everyone to the same shop, at the same time. So after a hard day's travelling, we waited 3 hours in a long queue, only to receive very poor or no fitting help at all. Poles for my 9 year old were way too long, but when I asked about this, was told they wre fine. (ski instructor sent us back to get them changed after the first lesson and the shop tried to say they had not given them, and that we must have got someone else's). They took very little time or care over sizes and didn't seem to know who was doing what, ad the shop was absolutely rammed with frustrated customers, waiting their turn. It was chaos.
When I returned the equipment at the end of the week, it was not much better, despite trying to finish a little early to avoid the queue. At this point I was told my skis were 'broken' and I had to pay 120 euros. There was a hole 50mm x 3 or 4 mm on the underside, which I had not seen, but looked repairable to me.. I'm not a great skier, (have been a few times) but didn't notice it while skiing and hadn't skied anywhere other than on the pistes. Anyway, I was told that although I hadn't paid for extra insurance, they would charge me the insured price of 120, otherwise a new pair would cost me 500 euro. I argued but felt I had no choice, realising afterwards that this was effectively blackmail. I was tired but should not have given in... Easy to say now. The company is called 'SKI SET' and would recommend that you avoid this shop if you can. There are 2 others in the Areselle area and the inter sport was very good when I bought an extra pair of gloves/mits for my 9 year old. I complained to snowtrex, since I booked through them. They were sympathetic, but ultimately unhelpful, and asked me to email my compaint on my return.
The skiing itself was good for families. Snowtrex had booked lessons for us at different times, but after complaining that this was obviously no good for a family who want to spend time skiing together, changed them to the same times. If you book lessons, make sure you check times and starting points, so you all start at the same place as well...
We enjoyed the lessons and managed to ski almost all of the rest of the time together. There are enough reds and a few blacks to keep the better skiers interested and plenty of blues and greens for the kids while they get confidence on the first day or 2 back on their skis.
Make sure you book your meals out in advance, as the few restaurants within walking distance get full very quickly. One night we went home hungry because everywhere tried was full.
The local shop is ok, with good fresh baguettes etc.. Not cheap, but as you might expect for a captive mountain audience in France.
Lifts were about 100+m away, with 10 + mins wait sometimes, and about a 5 min wait on average, although if you timed it right (early, late or at lunch) you could get straight on.
Overall we had a good time. With the benefit of hindsight we would have got a better holiday deal elsewhere though. Snowtrex make their holidays look good value but apartments are small and ours was scruffy, with several bits broken and no storage a big problem. The ski hire company, SKI SET, were definitely the worst part of our holiday experience though, which I blame snowtrex for, as they did little to help and even seemed to be aware of the problem when I complained about being ripped off at the end of the week..
We were lucky and had great snow, even though it was exceptionally cold.

Room Tip: Spend the extra to get a larger apartment if you can.
12  Thank ChrisP5000
Reviewed January 26, 2012

As this was our first time skiing and snowboarding we booked with Crystal, skiing and snowboarding experts based at the Chill Factore in Manchester. Our 8yr old loves snowboarding there so we decided he should experience the real thing. Andy at Crystal was truly great. We told him we wanted a quiet resort with a couple of restaurants, bars maybe, and we wanted a SC option to be as flexible as possible. He suggested Chamrousse and we trusted him. We were not disappointed. Our accfomodation in Domain L;Arselle was a small one bedroon appartment, exactly as it was depicted on line. There is very little storage, 10 hangers(2 were broken and 1 fell apart when I picked it up) in one open wardrobe with 1 shelf. There is an additional shelf in the living area where the pull out sofa lies. The kitchen area is adequate, with a dishwasher being a huge advantage. The heaters were more than adequate keeping the apartment lovely and warm. However, the beds are not so comfortable and after two nights of no sleep at all we were able to arrange an additional mattress for the pull out sofa, this made all the difference.
The location was brilliant, about 30 metres from the nearest lift.
We booked skiing and snowboarding tuition before we left. Upon arrival we spoke with the very efficient reps, Jess and Amy who then assessed which group we should be in for lessons. I have to admit, the instructors were fabulous! Our instructor, Tierrry was a wealth of knowledge regarding the Alps and the history of skiing. We even conquered two Olympic runs while we were there!
Our son had a fab instructor also, Silva, one of the snowboarding instructors and he improved immensely. The snowboarding park was great.
The only negatives really were the lack of restaurants in the immediate area. There are two restaurants there, La Bachat, not fussed about that one by the outdoor swimming pool, but the other, Chez Igon Doudou, otherwise known as the Club Sandwich was good, great pizzas and the plat de jour was good on occassion. The hot vin chaud was lovely and the happy hour 5-7 meant it was only 1 Euro instead of the usual 3.
The bar K-Dox is rather small but they have live bands and various music theme nights. Be aware, a pint of lager is 5/5.50Euro and other drinks are more than we pay at home. The wine there isn't very nice! BUT, on the single evening I went there, the atmosphere was very friendly and I was famous for a a while as the boarders were talking about the" little green kid", my son wearing a green coat who blew them away with his snowboarding skills!

The shop isn't that well stocked so you may want to take the bus to 1650 area, although they don't have the cheese/meats choices they have at Domain L'Areselle.
The reps Jess and Amy, I have to say were marvellous. We were very impressed by them and I enjoyed a couple of hours chilling out with Jess in particular. As we were a family of three we could not leave our son alone so it was nice to have Jess keep me company for a couple of hours one evening whilst I had a couple of shandies!
Amy knows the skiing area very well and I would recommed her escorted ski service. She took us on runs we would not have known about.
All in all it was a fabulous first experience.
Ok, the negative part. The CLEANING OF THE APARTMENT!!! Having spent years lounging in the sun in some very luxurious places, this came as quite a shock, having to clean our apartment upon departure. You will have to buy your products unless you book a beginner kit before you leave. We found it rather mean that cleaning products were not supplied.

So that was our only real negative really. We would return to Chamrousse and we would also book with Crystal as we received superb service from start to finish. Thankyou to Andy at the Chill Factore Manchester, and a huge thankyou to Jess and Amy at Chamrousse. The Edmondson family had an absolutely fabulous holiday!!!

Room Tip: Speak to a rep if you need an additional mattress
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank JoEdmondson
Reviewed January 15, 2012

This was our cheapest ski-holiday ever, but also one of the better. Chamrousse is small, but very friendly and beautiful. Here are some tips:

- No complaints about the apartment, except that it was rather dusty. You might want to bring your own fitted sheets for the blankets.
- The small grocery store in the area was good, but you might want to bring things like dishwasher powder, some basic food products etc.
- The few restaurants/cafés in the area are pretty good (the big one by the pool is not so great, but ok).
- The ski-area is great for kids. You get a few really nice runs in all colors.
- Bring cash! Not a lot of cash machines.
- Snowtrex, which we booked through, have their own reception. They don't take credit cards and they are only open one hour per day. Not so impressed with their service.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
11  Thank Henrik L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chamrousse
La Berangere
Residence Le Vernon
Residence Le Vernon
#3 of 4 in Chamrousse
Residence les Balcons de Recoin by Actisource

Been to Les Villages du Bachat? Share your experiences!