“Memories to last Forever!!”
Review of Rafter 6 Ranch

Rafter 6 Ranch
Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Exshaw
Reviewed November 3, 2012

In mid-August, my 90 yr old Mom, 19 yr old daughter and I arrived at Rafter 6. Very different interests but we each had an amazing time!! We arrived several hours earlier than official check in time but were told our suite in one of the original cabins was all ready for us. We were puzzled when given two keys to two seperate units when we had only requested one room. However, they said that, since the adjoining room wasn't booked, we could just have both suites at no extra charge!! Wow!! Thank you!! The log cabins are rustic but what do you expect?? Some are over 75 years old and yet when we mentioned some repairs that needed doing, the repair guy was there within 5 minutes to fix it. The buffet meals were great - hearty and plentiful!! The international staff were always friendly and helpful!!

Highlights of our stay included 2 rides on their beautiful, healthy, well cared for horses. My daughter who hadn't ever ridden much had a private half hour riding lesson with one of the wranglers which went a long way to easing her concerns once she learned "the basics." We loved our guides from "Down Under."

White water rafting on the Kananaskis River was a blast! My daughter and I were on a raft with all Japanese tourists who didn't speak any English but we were all able to laugh and scream and have a great time together. I recommend this as safe for all families!

Even my 90 yr old Mom enjoyed herself sitting on the deck of our cabin, feeding snacks to the free roaming horses, donkey and ranch dogs that came to visit her. She loved looking at the mountains and reliving memories of the last time she was at the ranch... about 50 yrs earlier!

Joe Guy the Aussie Long Rider and his family were amazing with their stories and songs and I think of them often as they continue their journey through Europe. Playing with the two wolf pups was an unforgetable experience. And finally, there's nothing like wearing your boots and jeans and swaggering into the lodge and feeling like a real cowboy(girl) after a long days' ride!!

Yeah, this may not be a fancy shmancy "resort" but if you love horses, nice people, good food and an authentic western experience, you will love Rafter 6. Thanks to everyone there for a truly memorable experience!!

Reviewed September 25, 2012

We took our kids and a friend on the ropes and zipline course for a day trip adventure. The staff was friendly and helpful at the front desk and we wandered around the grounds for some time before our slotted time. Our course went much faster than we had expected but we had a great time with great guides. We laughed a lot and squealed a little and have a lot of great memories. I think our only disappointment is that there was only one "zipline" at the end and it wasn't much of a zipline after we have done some pretty awesome ones in the past. I think if they just took the zipline out of the name they would have it bang on. The ropes part was great and I think that we would do it again.

Reviewed September 23, 2012

Excellent food, wonderful staff, quiet trail horses, white buffalo, wolf pups, free-ranging horses and a donkey

1  Thank Gloria T
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We signed up for the "Ropes and Ride" package. The climb was really great for our two teens and quite manageable for the dad. The guides are excellent and make sure everyone is safe. The ride in the afternoon was OK, if a bit slow. The kids had to wear helmets - obviously they know to be careful with tourists. Our ride was delayed by a group of four youngsters in their 20s, who were a bit too loud during the ride, but obviously the ranch staff can't do much about that...

The lunch was rather average. The buffet consisted of hamburgers (beef, bison or veggie) with some salads, hamburger toppings and desserts. Nothing really stood out. Considering that we had paid over $600 for 3 packages and a ride, telling my wife she'd have to pay extra for lunch seemed a bit cheap.

Overall it was a fun day. As a bonus, we got to watch the horses being shod. We did not stay overnight and I'm glad we didn't, as the main lodge has obviously seen better days.

Reviewed August 15, 2012

I took my family to the ropes course. The actual course and safety staff are great. However, the weather went bad and the course was shut down. Everyone on the course was told that there would be something in return. I called the office 3 times and was promsed it would be taken care of. The last call was promising and the girl told me that we were to get a credit for the course to do again by 6pm that day. It's been 3 weeks and still nothing.

The managment obviously does not care about follow up service since they took my $220 with no problem.

And whats up with the staff (and thier kids) hanging around taking up all the seats.