BON Hotel Stratton Asokoro
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
Palmac Hotel(Asokoro)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsfront desk staffbusiness meetinginternet connectionmetalsecurity
Reviewed November 2, 2011

Had the Apo Apartments booked - we show up, something is wrong with our reservation, but we get an "upgrade" to a penthouse at the Asokoro. I'm calling it an "upgrade" because as far as I'm concerned, there is less privacy in a shared apartment, than in separate hotel rooms (clarification: we = me and a co-worker). The price is what we had to pay for 2 rooms anyway, so again, can't call that much of a deal (around $760 US per night).

The penthouse is fairly nice, however ridden with issues - there is barely any water pressure in the showers. One of the bedrooms has absolutely horrible smell issues, with the stench coming from the bathroom - it seems that every once in a while, water starts coming up from the toilet base (I don't even want to think about this further).

Beds are the second hardest I've had to endure in Africa. I like hard beds. I'm not picky - read my other reviews. I never complained about military bedding arrangements. But these beds are HARD.

Breakfast is bland and expensive. Upon checking out, we were presented with a bill for room service, which we couldn't have ordered, since we were not in the hotel physically, when it was supposedly brought up.

Internet service is just a disaster, with weird vouchers being handed out, and on the rare occasions you get to connect, speed is a joke. Ended up using my iPhone with a prepaid Glo sim, for all internet needs.

Place seems fairly safe, with an attempt at luxury, but half hearted if that.

This is the second Protea hotel I've stayed at in Abuja, in the past 2 months, so next time I will take one for the team and do the final one - Apo apartments.

PS

The safe in my co-worker's room was locked when we got in. After 2 days of asking, begging, arguing and threatening, someone finally comes up. Walks in with an air of superiority, and says to my colleague - "I will teach you how to operate the safe, so you don't get it locked again". The idiot fiddles with the safe for 20 minutes (that is disregarding the explanation that it was locked BEFORE we got in), just to give up, bring more people in, and waste an hour of our time on opening it up. Great attitude by the staff (I'm being sarcastic of course).

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank DrSavant
Reviewed May 28, 2011

The Protea Asokoro is all promise and no delivery. Though rooms are clean, I took one of the penthouse 3 bedroom suites until "reservation confusion" moved me to a lesser but adequate suite, little or nothing works at this hotel.
The location, close to key government offices and absolutely nothing else, is dismal.
There is a fitness center, small bar, 4 computers, free for guest use and a buffet restaurant.
As there is no other place to eat anywhere, the restaurant is a key issue. Food simply can't get any worse or more expensive. Taking into account that local cuisine involves stews rich with cayenne pepper, most meat is sparse, unidentifiable and tough as nails.
Coffee is ok and the staff polite.
Beyond that, the elevators work.
Though I mentioned the staff is polite, the hotel seems to exist for them and guests are tolerated.
How do you describe it? Lack of maintainence, total laxity and occasional and rare excellence.
If you can stay somewhere with real food and a better location do it. If you have to be in walking distance of the presidential villa, this is the place for you.
Room service....couldn't be worse if they worked at it...which I suspect they do.
A 3 star rating, even in Nigeria, is a bit too much.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank gpduf
Reviewed December 11, 2010

Did not like this hotel and fled the next day to the New Chelsea, which was much better. I was told it "used to be good." It looks impressive enough from the outside, with an impressive driveway, but the apartment was dated, had a strange smell and looked 2* at best. The apartment was not worth half of the £280 equivalent paid!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed June 22, 2010

Compared to the other international name brand hotels in Abuja, the Protea Asokoro is an oasis. While the others are a hub of activity the Protea is quiet, professional, and immaculate. Great personal service and a top of the line gym. The restaurant is also not to be missed. Try the lamb shank or pork ribs and choose from their excellent wine list - their South African chef knows meat well!

Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank T1m0thy
Reviewed March 25, 2010

I stayed at the hotel as a part of a larger delegation. All the arrangements went smoothly with the exception of check-in process, which was slightly delayed because of a defunct printer at the reception.

My room was quite spacious with basic amenities. Nothing luxurious, but everything you need was at hand. Shower was clean and functioning. The room was also very quiet and I easily managed to get good sleep.

Service was perfectly acceptable, however not top efficient or friendly. Breakfast buffet was quite standard with good choice of different dishes to all tastes.

In summary, a safe and convenient place to stay in Abuja, however if you are looking for carachter or African feel, it is better to go somewhere else.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business