“Ok for a cheap getaway in October”
Review of Marino Tenerife

Marino Tenerife
Reviewed November 10, 2013

We read the reviews on this hotel and although they were mixed, we thought people were judging the hotel a little harshly so thought we'd give it a go.The hotel is in a quiet residential area in Costa Del Silencio which has a few shops, restaurants and bars, but the main town Las Galletas is only 5mins drive away. The airport is about 20-30mins away and the apartments are easy to find. We stayed in a one bedroom self-catering apartment for 8 days. The staff at the hotel were friendly at check-in and helped as much/little as you needed. All the communial areas were well maintained and clean, as were the rooms which were cleaned everyday except Sunday. There was a small swimming pool (which if you had more than 10 people in would be overcrowded, a small gym, a bar, a restaurant & late night bar, a small gift shop, a dive shop and a small supermarket in the complex. The apartment was large - a lot bigger than we were expecting, however, it was very poorly equipped for a self-catering apartment. There was only one semi-sharp knife, there was no chopping board, no serving spoons, and no serving dishes which made it a little hard to self cater to any normal degree. The decor of our room was basic and a little tired but there was plenty of storage space and you could quite easily have 4 adults living in the same room. Satellite TV was limited in English, BBC World, and CBS Drama. The food in the hotel restaurant was ok but the most basic food we had all holiday. They normally have an offer to eat at the hotel, but we'd recommend eating out. The surrounding restaurants particularly in Tenbel and Las Galletas were superb quality and great value, slightly cheaper than the UK.
In regards to the cost of the apartment, we got a bargain so weren't too disappointed but we would have been very disappointed if we'd stayed in high season paying over £600 for the same room! Will definitely stay in Costa Del Silencio, just not at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not overlooking the bar as night time entertainment goes on until 11pm most nights
2  Thank Nicnac18

Reviewed November 6, 2013

We recently stayed over October half term in a 2 bedroom apartment. Although not particularly modern in it's appearance, the apartment was very spacious with all that you could possibly need. The bedrooms both had double beds which could have been a problem, but once I had asked at Reception, they very promptly provided me with a good quality camp bed so that my son and his Grandad did not have to share a bed and kick each other all night! I really enjoyed the 2 balconies we had - it was great to be able sit outside in October!! Might be worth noting that our balconies were in the shade all day which suited me fine as I'm not allowed to sit out in the sun - if you prefer a sunnier spot it may be worth requesting it when you book. The complex staff were very friendly and helped deal with any queries promptly. There was entertainment on the complex at night that had completely finished by 11pm but we mainly ate out at night. Our favourite places to eat were "Harvester" and "Coral Bar". They both served a variety of cuisines from curry to Sunday roasts at reasonable prices. You can reach both of these restaurants by turning right out of the hotel and heading straight up the road. After about a 5 minute walk you will come to a roundabout with the "Coral Mar Commercial Centre" in front of you. Both the Harvester and the Coral bar can be found in this commercial centre. We also enjoyed some fun nights at the Exile Bar - the Karaoke Halloween party was great fun. Although Costa del Silencio is quieter than some other resorts in Tenerife, there is still plenty to keep the family entertained. We would return here without a doubt.

3  Thank Smog
Reviewed November 3, 2013

We stayed as a family in october,normally going to Cyprus, the apparent was clean and spacious, silencio is a lovely quiet location, mostly on the flat making it great to get arounf for my pensioner father,on site facilities are good,great breakfast at kaygens,ate out every night,mostly at the harvester,see my separate review, also good for daytime snacks is coral bar.

1  Thank philip p
Reviewed November 2, 2013

We were pleasantly surprised by the apartment. It was big, clean and had everything we needed for the three of us. Considering the amount we paid we were very pleased with the facilities available.

We were visiting for a diving holiday, with Tenerife Dive who are based at the Marino, so we only really used the apartment as a base, however the staff were very helpful and friendly and the maid service was excellent. The shower was great, excellent hot water and good power - lovely! and the bed was very comfy - even my husband was happy and he usually complains about every bed except our own!

The resort itself was very quiet and laid back and has a nice friendly feel to it, it's just families and older people so no noise from late night parties. The Ten Bel area is a little run down but work appears to be going on to update it. We went for a couple of lovely walks around the coast line, over the nearby old volcano known as the Yellow Mountain (more of a little hill!). The rock formations are fantastic and well worth a visit.

All in all a fantastic holiday. I would definitely recommend the Marino to others.

3  Thank Lisa M
Reviewed October 27, 2013

just got back from holidays again and what a great time ,this is the 4th time here and its just a good as ever hotel is spotless as normal and cleaning staff do great job room cleaned daily ,towels changed every day and beds twice a week fantastic 1 bed apartment with 2 balconies ,fridge ,washing machine ,oven great room number 242 pool view only downfall was no sun on the balcony this time of year . take a trip to the harvester for a steak fantastic meal out , marilyns fantastic for drinks any time of the day ,only a euro a pint great staff alex ,anita and mike always make us welcome my hubby even played darts for them as they were down a player had a great nite

Room Tip: we have stayed in several rooms all good but 242 has got everything you could need bur no sun on bal...
6  Thank bevandmick_11
Reviewed October 23, 2013

This was the second time me and my partner went there this year. I booked it again because I was happy with the hotel, and organising my own holiday, rather than use a travel agent, because it's a lot cheaper and I could choose when I was going, from where, and for how long. I started by searching for the cheapest flights, and then by checking google to see if I could book a room at the hotel to match the flight dates. I got 9 nights, for two people, in a self catering double apartment, balcony and kitchen - just over £200 between us!!

The hotel itself is a largish low-rise complex situated at the far end of the very small town of Costa de Silencio. It has a large adult pool, a kid’s pool and a jacuzzi. There's loads of sun beds (help yourself) but some of them are well used and uncomfortable. Also there was, on both occasions, people who bagged them early on then ‘disappeared' for couple of hours (really annoying). There's a large bar and restaurant at the end, to cool off you don't fancy a dip (coffee or diet coke is €1.50). They didn't seem to be doing evening meals this time (dunno why) but you can get breakfast there. There's also a mini- supermarket to buy basics, papers/mags, ciggies (€2.20 for 20) ice creams etc etc. It's dear for food though, a basket of basics (morning goods) when we arrived came to about €30. There's a cig and coffee machine by the lift (coffee not bad for 70c).
Reception is big - english speaking staff, pretty friendly (you could tell when they were on an off-day though). Safe was €20 for our stay. Wi-fi- there's 3 connections - Marino 1, 2 and 3. You ask for the password at the desk. It's the same for each connection, but marino 1 is stronger in the reception, 2 for the pool, and I don’t know what 3 is for. Beware though, when I asked for the code on my first day - it was the wrong one - it said 'authentication error' on my phone and tablet. I queried it with reception and she said it was right, and pointed out the people in reception already on their computers. I showed her the error message, so she got a technician who said he'd just changed it, and gave me the new one (it changed again while we were there). Wi fi doesn't work in the rooms or balcony.
Rooms are clean and basic - but they do vary - first time we went we had a larger twin apartment, with a smaller kitchen, and a dark balcony. It also had a flat screen TV (no english channels apart from euronews). This time, the room was smaller (OK still), double bed, bigger kitchen and CRT TV (with BBC world news and english film channels). Maids come every day except Wednesdays, mid morning - ish. There's hardly any elecrical plugs though, so you will have to set up a device charging rota!! Kitchen had a normal size fridge with ice box, washing machine (both new - the machine had the shortest washing cycle on it I have ever seen - a bonus). There is a Microwave, toaster, coffe percolator, electric cooker (hob oven grill extractor). Bathroom was a bit dark (hairdryer in there, shower and bath).
There's a lift at one end of the hotel (the reception end) but not at the bar end. You can't access the upper floors of the bar end of the complex from the reception end. I stayed in the reception end, but last time at the bar end. So you will need to use the stairs if staying at the bar end (only one flight). It's not a noisy place*, mostly older people, but there is a kid’s area (play pen etc) so I guess there's kids there in the school hols. There's quite a few long term residents (Brits and Belgians - Belgians I think because they established a community at Ten - Bel a long time ago). Ten bel is just between Silencio and Las Galletas (just up the road).

*A small warning – the hotel is on the approach path for inbound flights coming in to land at Tenerife Sur airport. It’s not that noisy, and it’s OK for plane spotters cos they come in pretty low. Don’t let it put you off.

Location - It's about five mins walk from the Hermusa Supermarket. I only ate in a couple of nights, but the supermarket has a brilliant selection and is really cheap (deli counters etc - like a 'proper' supermarket if you like). Turn left out the main doors, cross the road, and go right - it's at the end - closes for siesta mind - 1pm till 4pm.
Turn right out the front door for the mini market (It’s called cheap or cheapo or something) - for little things like water, ciggies, sweets, juice etc (they do food and booze aswell). This is on the right of the Calle Minerva. Keep going and cross the mini roundabout and there's a mini shopping centre - it's got Cashpoints, restaurants, bars, a supermarket, and a British run chippy (called the golden chip). It was handy 'cos on our first night, we arrived late and the chippy was the only thing open.
Turn left before you get to the mini shopping centre, and after about 500 yards there’s the main bus stop and further up more restaurants. The bus stop is the terminus - you can get buses to the main towns (like Santa Cruz to the north) or the bus to Los Christinos and Playa de las Americas (along the coast to the west). The ‘inter city’ buses begin with a 2, the local buses with a 4 (all run by Titsa). You need the 467 to Christinos and Playa - €1.45 single. 20 Minute ride – we used it nearly every day (they don’t do returns).
The bus also goes to Las Galletas – bigger town with lots of shops and cafes/bars, all concentrated in the middle. The place does fall eerily quiet for siesta though, so if shopping there, go in the morning or after 4pm. The bars are all open all the time.
The beaches in the area are pretty non-existent (despite what the brochure might suggest) – the coast is mainly rocks and shingle. For proper sandy beaches, go to Christianos or Playa. (about €12 – 14 for a sunbed – a bit steep I think, but hey you’re on your hols). PS while I was on the Playa Vista (nice beach in Christianos – no seaweed or stones in the sea, black sand) a chinese lady came round offering massage – I declined at first until 2 women on the next bed had one and it looked good. I had one – it was lovely, flat out on my sunbed in the sunshine. You can have 30 mins on upper or lower body (€10) or whole body (€20).
It’s a great place, especially if you have children – not so good for teenagers.
NB I don’t know whether I am allowed to say this, but I booked the room and transfers on-line through Alpharooms (a small co I imagine but easy to deal with and to contact by phone if needed), and the flights direct with Thomas Cook airlines.

17  Thank james m
Reviewed October 22, 2013 via mobile

Stay regularly when diving. Clean, good value, spacious apartments, well appointed, quiet, booked via Tenerife Dive.
Ticks all the boxes, small supermarket and cafe on site, pool, close to all bars and restaurants

• Stayed: December 2012
Hotel Palia Don Pedro
Hotel Palia Don Pedro
#1 of 5 in Costa del Silencio
Grand Muthu Golf Plaza Hotel and Spa
Grand Muthu Golf Plaza Hotel and...
#6 of 14 in San Miguel de Abona
#4 of 5 in Costa del Silencio
Allegro Isora
Allegro Isora
#1 of 1 in Playa de la Arena

Been to Marino Tenerife? Share your experiences!