“Brill holiday”
Review of Marino Tenerife

Marino Tenerife
Reviewed September 18, 2012

After reading some reviews i thought "what have i done "?but from past experiences we have taken reviews with a pinch of salt, We arrived at the apartments reception staff were friendly , all the staff in hotel were friendly, Kagans its a cool little place nice food and cold beer, The solarium is lovely to sun bath and you benefit from the breeze off the ocean, Pool is great , the little shop on site has pretty much everything you need and not bad prices, ideal for cold cans of dorada whilst sun bathing . The apartment its self was a little dated but it had everything you need even a washing machine, our balcony was huge more like a patio, Places to go nearby.... zippy's its great for good value nice food 2nd wed of every month they do a greek evening well worth going too and what you dont eat you can take with you.....The Pizza's and burgers are lovely...Euro bar definately worth a visit for good chead drinks and friendly owners and locals.. La piedro next door do yummy chicken and chips after a few drinks in the Euro bar ...Peking gardens also def woth a visit..Pretty much sums our holiday up all in all it was great ....to going again in november:-)

2  Thank kerrygsxr1000

Reviewed September 16, 2012

Just returned back from 10 day holiday in the Marino. Upon arrival it was very obvious that we had been dropped off in the middle of a housing scheme. We fully expected the resort to be quiet as its name suggests, however we didnt expect our hotel to be so isolated from other hotels. Despite that, the accommodation was clean although it did need a bit of renovation / redecoration. There was no air conditioning in the rooms - the ceiling fans didnt cool the room to any great extent despite the high heat and humidity at all times especially at night.
The restaurant staff and animation team were brilliant, both making sure that we were adequately catered for and included in all of the games around the pool. The food wasnt too bad at all with the addition of a brilliant weekly barbeque held on the pool terrace. Having been there 3 days, we were told by some of the other guests that there had been some room breakins and a lot of personal belongings including credit cards, clothes,electrical goods and money had been taken. This made us feel very uncomfortable for the first time whilst on holiday. So much so, we immediately went to our room, collected passports, money, tickets and valuables and continued to carry them with us for the rest of the holiday to ensure our safe return to the UK.
The room was supposed to be serviced every day, but despite mentioning to reception on several occasions, the room was only cleaned 4 times in 14 days. We eventually had to go to reception and ask for toilet roll and clean towels, which again clearly caused an inconvienence to the recption staff.
Local bars are cheap but we couldnt believe the amount of dog mess lying all lover the street in huge amounts on the way to the bars. The smell was overwhelming and we had to watch where we walked, The reception staff were nothing short of a disgrace and certainly were not ambassadors for the Marino. On the few occasions we approached them, they huffed and puffed and were not at all helpful, despite the fact that were were only asking what time the bus was due which would have taken us to the next town! When it came time to check our return lift to the airport, I was told by Cresbo that " he didnt know anything about pickups - that wasnt his business" and walked away. Not at all helpfu and certainly not what we expectedl. Overall, the hotel was ok, but the breakins put a dampner on our holiday. We were on edge the whole time rather than returning back home relaxed.

1  Thank Sharon C
Reviewed September 16, 2012

I travelled her alone with my 8 year old son... This was his first holiday abroad and he loved it! There is a kid club but he was happier playing in the pool with me. The maids do a fntastic job daily... The place is very clean... Only saw two cockroaches in our 10night stay, One dead one in the toilets poolside and one in reception on our ast night.
Eating out
I would NOT recommend Keygans bar! it is very expensive... I would how ever recommend Zippys or Star Lights... Star Lights do an awesome sunday roast! my son had a medium one at 4euros and i had a normal one for 6euros... the normal one as huge!

All in all I would go ack here again

Room Tip: Had a studio which was plenty big enough
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 14, 2012

Stayed here for a week self catering with a friend for around £60 each so I wasnt expecting much despite the good reviews.

1st off the room, I *think* we were upgraded as we had a top floor sea view room which was clean and well equipped, beds were comfy and balcony was a good size. yes the rooms are abit tired in areas and some of the equipment is a bit old but for me, I couldnt care less that it needs a lick of paint, I dont go on holiday to spend my time looking at the bedroom walls.

The rest of the hotel was much the same, did what it needed to without excelling, the pool was lovely and seemed to kept clean, I saw them testing it a few times so obviously keep on top of it. there was an area that looked like it should be a pool bar not in use which would have been nice to have but not the end of the world. the front doors lock at midnight aswell for a bit of added security, if you arrive back late as we did most nights, just ring the bell and they come let you in. We did hear of a few break ins this years which I believe is the 1st year they have ever had problems of this kind, after we found this out we kept any valuables in the car if we were out and didnt have a problem (1st few nights we had laptops, tablets, DSLR's passports etc lying around and had no problems, we just took precautionary measures.)

My friend used the gym a few times and it did the job though a couple of the machines were broken I think.

Nearby:

supermarket 50 yrds away and another slightly bigger one 3mins walk if that so you can get all you need cheaply.

We hired a car but you could reach the bus stop in about 5mins walking and easy enough to find (we were shown on a map when we arrived)

Food:
Kaygans place was a nice welcome when we arrived, we both had some lunch and the food was fine and well priced and really friendly bloke who runs it.

nearby you have the chicken place which does 3 course meal for 10 euro, not the greatest food but did the job, staff not so friendly bar the 1 guy who was serving and running around like a his bum was on fire

next door you have Neils Bistro which was great, good value, well cooked and once again very friendly, a few people who go for weeks will book a table there every night and I cant blame them.

we also tried 'Stellas' within the square just a bit further up the road for some lunch, greasy, fatty and horrible. cheap, but cheap for a reason.

We did also try the place next door to the Dogs charity shop and that was lovley too though the 1st time the Spanish did not seem interested in serving us so we walked off, we went for breaky the next day, nice English lady served us quickly and food was good.

just next door in Gallatos there is a place called the pink Parrot beside the sea on the prom, which was also very nice, we had breakkie there 3 days, 2 fry ups for 5 euros which was well worth it, the Sunday dinners and puddings are ment to be brilliant as well.

on the whole I would definitely stay here again, for the money you really can not complain! bargain!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank JonyTVR
Reviewed September 13, 2012

My family have been going to the Marino Hotel for 5 years now, and we have just got back from a two week holiday (25th Aug - 8th Sept).

As always, the hotel is beautiful. The entertainment is great, especially for families. The animation team are absolutely fantastic. You really do get the full package at this hotel.

However.

On the last night of my two week stay - My room was broken in to, trashed and robbed. Fortunately, being 21 years old and in a room on my own, I was out. But the response I received off a certain Receptionist, who I am more than happy to name, Cresbo, was absolutely shocking. I immediately went down to reception and asked 'him' to contact the police for me and then went on to explain what had happened. The response I received was "No. The police are not coming here." Well, not knowing what to do, I woke my Dad to help me deal with the situation as I was in quite a state. My dad went down to have a polite word with 'Cresbo' and again my Dad explained the situation to him and the response he received was "Your Daughter did not get a safe, so I am not calling the police. The police are not coming here" my Dad then went on to explain that my clothes had be stolen, my cosmetics, everything - even my yogurts out of the fridge, so how exactly is this all supposed to fit in a safe the SIZE OF A SHOEBOX? Cresbo, then went on to tell him that I could have put everything in the safe. So again, he would not call the police.

Obviously, my Dad was not happy, as he was worried about me, and the fact that I could have been in alone, so he did loose his tempter a little. He made no threats to the receptionist, verbally or physically.

My Dad and I, went up to my room to tidy up and re-pack as we were leaving that afternoon, and who showed up? THE POLICE. Not your normal British patrol bobbies, but the Spanish Civil Guard... With the intention of arresting my Dad for 'violent and verbal threats’ made to the receptionist. SO I get broken into and robbed and the police can’t come out for that but because the receptionist got a little (and deserved) telling off, he called the police. HA.

As soon as the police entered my room, saw the state of me, saw the state of the room, they were absolutely fantastic. They were furious at the receptionist, Cresbo, for not calling the police when I initially reported the incident to him, and were more than happy to take a statement from me and even help us clear up. Even the Hotel's Maintenance staff were happy to help, particularly in translating to the police on our behalf. The police did inform us that unfortunately because nothing traceable was taken, it would be hard to follow up a report but they were on top of the matter and it was being investigated. I was in that much shock, they even offered to call an ambulance for me. They were fantastic. And they did go and give the Receptionist, another deserved ‘telling off’.

In the two weeks that my family were at the Marino, there were a total of 5 BREAK-INS AND ROBBERIES. This came as a shock to me and my family as nothing like this had EVER happened here before. The police did assure me that the matter was being investigated and action was being taken.
My family and I will be returning to the hotel next year, as I previously said, it is a FANTASTIC hotel and you certainly get what you pay for. It’s just such a shame that this visit had to be ruined by the complete incompetence of one ill-mannered staff member.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank Kirsty Louise A
Reviewed September 10, 2012

We've just got back from spending a lovely week at the Marino. We booked through Jet2 who allocated us a Studio room. However, on arrival we were told that there were no Studio rooms left and were upgraded to a one bedroom apartment. The apartment was lovely and clean and ticked all the boxes. We stayed in room 103 on the ground floor facing the main road with a lovely view of the garden. Both the bedroom and living area had balconies with canopies (which were great for keeping the sun out in the afternoon). The only problem we had with the room was that the ceiling fan in the bedroom was a little noisy and it needed to be on all through the night as it was so hot when we were there. The pool area is fantastic and clean with plenty of new sunbeds. The best time to go if you want peace and quiet is before 11:30am. At 11:30am there is aqua fit and then music is played for the rest of the day but it there is a good selection played to suit all tastes.
The area surrounding the hotel is mainly residential but there are a few good bars and restaurants scattered about. We ate at Neil's Bistro a few times and would highly recommend the great food and service there. Don't be put off by The Chicken Shack's tacky looking menu board and location. The food we had there was fantastic and the chef came out to us to show us the freshly caught fish and seafood he had on offer. Also recommend Gallaghers. We went there a couple of times for lunch and the food was good. Helen is very helpful and gave us plenty of information on the area such as where to catch the buses and where to buy cheap cigs and booze. If you fancy a cheap pint and some good banter go to Marilyn's Bar. We had some great nights there and it's only 1 euro a pint!
There isn't much going in in Costa del Silencio but if like us you like walking and exploring then there is a lovely rocky beach at the back of the hotel and if you walk further along to the right there is another rocky beach which is popular with the locals. Las Gallatas is a 20 minute walk away where there is a lovely marina and plenty of restaurants/bars/restaurants. Once we had explored all there was to see in Silencio we took the bus to Los Cristianos which was easy to do. There's a nice beach there and plenty of places to eat and shop.

2  Thank Rachel R
Reviewed September 10, 2012

stayed here the 31 aug till 7sept, it was fantastic. went with my husband and sister in law, we had a great time, the apartment was huge with everything we needed, felt that a few sun umberellas dotted around the pool would be good. Spent a lot of time in "Marilyns" an ex pats pub, the owner Mike, his daughter Susanne and her son Alex were great hosts and we had a few laughs there, a euro a pint was exellent value, "Alajandros" have fantastic food, great portions and reasonable prices, all homemade mains and sweets, although never had any room to try the sweets they looked fantastic.
we would definetly go back here again

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Hotel Palia Don Pedro
Hotel Palia Don Pedro
#1 of 5 in Costa del Silencio
Grand Muthu Golf Plaza Hotel and Spa
Grand Muthu Golf Plaza Hotel and...
#6 of 13 in San Miguel de Abona
Allegro Isora
Allegro Isora
#1 of 1 in Playa de la Arena
Apartamentos Gema Aguamarina Golf
Muthu Royal Park Albatros
Muthu Royal Park Albatros
#9 of 13 in San Miguel de Abona

Been to Marino Tenerife? Share your experiences!