“Bad Maintenance of Accommodation” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Krystal Suites

The Krystal Suites
Ranked #10 of 10 Hotels in Bayan Lepas
Singapore, Singapore
“Bad Maintenance of Accommodation”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2013 via mobile

Location: It is not far away from Penang Intl Airport, abt 15-20 mins drive away. The nearest big shopping mall is Queensbay which takes abt 10-15 mins drive away. It is not central area and if wanna travel to those tourist attraction...it usually takes est 30 mins or above to drive. There's a 24hrs 7-11 abt 5 mins walk away. There are also some eateries around the area.

Room: We stay in two bedroom suite. The furnitures in the room are quite old. Wardrobe is quite run down. Basically, there are no maintenance at all. Ants are everywhere. Even their bed have ants. The smell in the room are not pleasant. Kettle are rusty...cups got bad stain. The only good thing is that their rooms are big and it come with living area. There's only one toilet for sharing with standing shower.

Services: Receptionists are quite friendly. Housekeeping service are prompt. Hotel have swimming pool and gym too but no restaurant within the hotel.

Others: There are free wireless in the room. If you drive, every room can have one complimentary car pass during your stay. If not, you can park outside the hotel but is chargeable. Parking fee is very affordable. Personally, parking outside the hotel is way more convenient than parking in their carpark.

If you are a fussy guest and cleanliness is important to you...this hotel is definitely not for you. If you are only looking for an affordable stay...big rooms for family and jus for sleeping and spending most of your time out, you may still consider this provided you are not even abit fussy. It was my second time staying here and my last stay was during CNY period to visit my grandma as is near to her house, I brought my son, 10 mths old. He wanted to crawl but I can't allow him to coz the carpet is too dirty...I need to boil water for his milk but I can't coz the kettle was too dirty with stubborn rusty stain. That was definitely my last stay in Krystal Suite. By the way...it doesn't even look like hotel, it is more like apartment services.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank SnowMelt

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013

Lets start by mentioning that the photos on the website was probably taken when the hotel was first opened in the 80's, and not what you get today. as with previous reviews, the rooms are worn out, old and in need of a really, good decent clean. I travelled with two others so booked in to the two bedroom apartment. The lobby is not airconditioned, and since they are apartments the hallways are open air. Check in and check out was fast, they give you your towels on check in. The rooms themselves were spacious, there is a small kitchen area with a microwave, small bar fridge and even though there were plates and cutlery, they were uneven in numbers (ie two forks, 3 spoons etc). The couches were old, rundown, you can tell they have been used...........alot..., they were abit dirty, and still had the previous occupants hair on them. The shower and toilet was ok, it was clean but, there was mold in the shower and there is a unpleasent smell that comes from either the toilet or the shower curtains. The previous reviews about taking the key off the room tag so that the aircon can be left on was very helpful, Penang is hot and humid and that was a great tip! The beds were clean and comfortable, but the pillows have lost alot of its stuffing and one of them smelt bad. The main issues we had were the ants, there were alot of ants, so you really can't leave food just laying around or not stored properly, they will come like an army. At least the airconditioner works, even though it does drip water onto the carpet, but that didn't concern me at all. The hotel is located in a oneway street, its not near any decent food places, there is not much around within walking distance so you will always have to find some sort of transport. By car, it is close to the airport, major shopping malls and easy travel to other places of interest in Penang. Overall experience, we stayed in a decent room, it was average and probably best for large groups or familys on a budget. It is a budget hotel after all. Even though i had an average experience, and not as horrendeous as some reviewers, I probably would not stay there again, unless it was absolutely necessary and I had no choice.

Room Tip: remove the key from the key tag and leave it in the holder to keep the airconditioning on while your...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

Avoid at all costs!
Flood in the creepy hallway, construction in the lobby, disgustingly dirty rooms, uncomfortable pillow/mattress, and no breakfast restaurants anywhere! Seriously, if you want to eat food in the morning you have to taxi elsewhere. By the time I wake up and get ready I'm starved, so that does not work at all. Terrible value for the money, I often paid less in Malaysia, and got fantastic hotels.

Stay away!!

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Kmatheson

Travelers are raving about these Bayan Lepas hotels

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here few years back.it was great.so i decided to come back.but my expectation was torn down.
1.the lobby was old.ceiling was dirty.no air cond.they only use this air purifier..
2.the hall way was not so clean.windows were dirty.but can be forgiven due to the raining season. The
3.toilet smell damp..the shower curtain was dirty and i think that's the source of smelly toilet
4.bring your own toiletteries.they did not provide any.
5.also..no towel.we have to ask them for it.
The only point is that the 2 bedrooms apartment was quiet spacious.
Other than that..it was nothing..

• Stayed January 2013
Leicester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

Very dirty shower area, carpet was not hoovered, kitchen units was covered with little ant's. the first thing we notice there is no breakfast provided in the hotel, and we didn't get a smile when we entered the hotel and no help with our luggage.

Room Tip: Don't choose this hotel
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank AminabibiSidat
Kuala Lumpur
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

Went there on a buy 1 free 1 promotion for Christmas celebration, indeed a very spacious 1 room apartment, equipped with mini bar, dining table, working table and a big room. Location wise it's not that bad, it's near Penang FTZ, Queensbay Mall, Jelutong highway is just by the corner that leads to Georgetown.
BUT poor, poooooor management made it looked kinda 'dodgy'...

A few disappointing incidents:

1. there was a weird smell, like something burnt when we turned on the air-conditioner, called the reception and they said they'll send the maintenance guy, well, guess he got lost in his way.

2. a giant cockroach was staring at me in the toilet, glad that it wasn't flying around but had my friend killed it. *oops*

3. Mini bar has ice frozen all over and not cleaned properly, smelled so bad

4. carpet smelled like it hasn't been cleaned for ages and the plates and cups and etc provided are not properly cleaned.

well for the area vs the value paid, what's there to ask for? a place that can accommodate 10 person for a small private party at an affordable price, guess that's the only thing that can attract me. But to come back again, I'd think twice.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

My worst experience ever with any 2/3 stars hotel.... and this is the only hotel so far that caused me so pissed off.. I hope you will read this before you choose to stay in Krystal Suites.
I booked the hotel on 31/12/2012 for my birthday and year end celebration with my family. It was a buy 1 free 1 promotion offer by a travel agent named Zest Leisure. Sounds pretty cheap for a 3d2n stay cost only RM248.
My nightmare starts the moment I reached the hotel. The outlook and surroundings had given me the first shock (pls don't get cheated by the "illustrated only" pics on the website). It's situated in an old commercial center surrounded by several low cost apartments.
The car park is very tricky. You only get to access into their parking after check-in. I first struggled to look for the hotel parking. When I finally found it, I was told to go back to the main lobby for check-in to get the access card. This led me to another round trip back to the hotel lobby with all the single-way-streets. The car park itself was confusing as hotel guests are only allowed to park at certain floors plus it is dusty and low lighting.
Despite the hotel location (far from city), outlook and surrounding, my wife and I were still hoping that the room will be a nice place to spend for the next 3 days. When I first stepped into the room, I smell “Milo” (probably the previous guest must have spilled Milo on to the carpet). Every breath I breathe in taste like Milo. Immediately we requested to change room. The next and last room available they showed us was even worse, the room was filled with cigarette smell.
Since my wife has sensitive nose and we can’t really stand the smell in the room, we then requested for a refund so that we can quickly look for other hotel since it is super peak season and the cost will be higher. Then the hotel staff told me it is against the company policy to refund and that they think the rooms were okay, only some bad smell. IMHO, as a hotel, if you can’t even provide the guest the most basic needs, ie: a comfortable space for stay and rest, then you should better stay away from this tourism industry. Argued with them couple of times and told them we can’t stand the smell but yet they still insist that there will be no refund.
I’m not a demanding customer but I think I reserved the rights to get what I paid for. However, with Krystal Suites, I learnt that the customer is NOT always right and surprisingly, I was only given 3 options in my situation, either I check-out (without getting any refund), continue to stay in the “Milo” room or move to the “Cigarette” room.
My wife and I agreed on the first option to check-out knowing that it’s a total lost than to torture ourselves in the room.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family