“Interesting!!”

Hotel Equatorial Penang
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Bayan Lepas
“Interesting!!”
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Overall a very clean well kept hotel with friendly staff. We booked a premier club room for two nights. The room was immaculate and newly refurbished.
The club lounge was probably one of the most bizarre club lounges we have used. They advertise cocktail hour and yet there is no staff serving. There was one half empty bottle of red wine and one bottle of white in the fridge and a few near empty bottles of spirits and limited soft drinks in the fridge. The lounge was very empty during our stay which made it feel quite strange. Not sure how they would manage if busy!! We used the main restaraunt for breakfast on recommendation of the staff so can't comment on the lounge breakfast.
The pool area is very nice but not nearly enough loungers or seating for busy times. The pool towels were used up very quickly and not replaced. Thank goodness for the great concierge and shuttle service!!

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank Susiezulu
HEP_Management, Manager at Hotel Equatorial Penang, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Hi Susiezulu,

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay with us. Whilst we are delighted to note that you enjoyed their stay with us, we sincerely apologize for all the inconveniences you had experienced and would like to assure you that we are actively working to improve our service levels, and would like to let you know that your feedback has proved to be invaluable to us.

We look forward to making your next stay better

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed May 10, 2013

EQ as it's apparently called is quite comfortable. The room I was given was of the usual Asian city sized which is pretty adequate. Had a comfortable bed and internet connection was a breeze and complimentary. I do like that in hotels. Having checked in, I really didn't feel like going out again for my appointments. But go out I must and I did, but not before claiming the welcome drink at the coffee house. Well, it WAS a hot day.

Did not have any issues parking the rental car as there were plenty of spaces. Back t the room to freshen up before going out to dinner. Bathroom was well appointed with all the needed toiletries and more. Lovely pressure with the shower too. Again, just felt like relaxing in the room and some rooms are like that...you feel like you don't really want to leave. I mean, its not that great. I've been to better appointed hotels, but sometimes, some hotels, some rooms just make you want to stay in. I can't explain it....

Anyway, I didn't have dinner there, so won't be able to say much although I have had a meeting at the Japanes restaurant a while back and it was good.....my first introduction to green tea ice cream. I digress..

How did I sleep? I've always been a late sleeper, but once I put my head on the pillows, I just couldn't keep my eyes open. Either it was comfy or I was tired. Doesn't matter as I woke up refreshed.

Went down for breakfast and I must say, it was diverse and not too bad. Shame I could only eat so much that early.

One night was just not enough. I must wrangle another trip from the office. Oh, I'm a smoker....there, I confess...the balcony is a boon. Otherwise I'll be cranky with having to go downstairs to have a puff.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
HEP_Management, Manager at Hotel Equatorial Penang, responded to this review, May 12, 2013
Hi Mike H,

Thanks for taking your time to drop us a review. We are glad that you enjoyed your recent stay at Hotel Equatorial Penang. It delights us to note that you had a wonderful experience, and that our team consistently exceeded your expecatations during your stay. All of us certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Alaska
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I would highly recommend this hotel. It is spacious, quiet, and well kept. It is a bit far for the beaches and active side of the island, but nothing a 20 minute hotel taxi ride can't fix. Beautiful tropical breezes gently sifting through the open air lobby and main floor. Very relaxing.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
HEP_Management, Manager at Hotel Equatorial Penang, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback following your recent stay at Hotel Equatorial Penang. We certainly pleased to note that you had a good and memorable stay.

You can be assured that all of us look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed May 2, 2013

Hotel Equatorial Penang is very comfortable & Friendly place, recommend for people travel for business. Internet, fax and telephone all inside the room. Every rooms have balcony. My package is included wired internet and breakfast. Food and beverage in coffee shop is very good, a lot of choice from Chinese to Malay and western style. Next time to Penang, I will stay this hotel again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Hotel Equatorial Penang. We are delighted that you had a wonderful stay and good experience in our F&B outlets.
All of us will definitely look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Heshan, China
Reviewed April 11, 2013 via mobile

Was here for two nights in early April 2013 for a short business trip. The open air layout of the lobby is in classic tropical style and is a welcome atmosphere to return to after a long day in Industrial Penang. Rooms are modern for a 20+ year old hotel. Breakfast was good with western, Malay and Chinese options. The garden and grounds are well maintained and the pool was good for a short dip before breakfast but also looked nice enough to spend a few afternoon hours lounging by in the afternoon, weather permitting. Only drawback was a slow check-in/check-out but the lobby was nice enough that it didn't negatively impact my stay. Would definitely stay here again on my next biz trip to Penang.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Hi Boston Ed,

Thanks for taking your time to share a review regarding your recent stay at Hotel Equatorial Penang. We are certainly glad that you had a good stay here despite the check-in/check-out process unsatisfactory. However, we do assure you that we are actively working to improve our service levels, and would like to let you know that your feedback has proved to be invaluable to us. We look forward to having you again in near future.
Reviewed April 11, 2013

The Hotel Equatorial is very nice hotel, it has several restaurants Japanese, Western and Malay. The pool and sport facilities are good, the pool is very convenient as the weather in Penang is very hot of course. The location on of the hotel close to the airport and industries but less then 20 minutes from Georgetown bar area. The hotel provides a shuttle to the city center but transportation service is also available. The hotel Bar is as common in Asia empty with 2 girls and 1 guy singing on stage (so better go to Georgetown with your friends).

Room Tip: The new building has a nice view over the golf course and georgetown
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Jan B
HEP_Management, Manager at Hotel Equatorial Penang, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Hi Jan B,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Hotel Equatorial Penang. It delights us to note you had a wonderful experience, and that our team consistently exceeded your expectations during your stay. All of us look forward to welcoming you back in the near future
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed April 5, 2013

Stayed here as we couldn't get a booking at the G hotel. All in all, we were pleasantly surprised with the Equatorial. The rooms were decent sized, and the bed was one of the most comfortable i've ever slept in. The staff were extremely professional and helpful. The breakfast was good, if a little limited in selection. The whole family loved the pool area with it's walkways through the garden area, The only downside is the relative remoteness from the shopping areas such as Gurney drive, but other shopping areas such as queensgate aren't too far away at all, and also it's only a short trip to the airport. I would recommend to others to stay here.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
#11 of 84 in George Town
G Hotel Gurney
G Hotel Gurney
#16 of 84 in George Town

Been to Hotel Equatorial Penang? Share your experiences!