As far as the Equatorial brand goes, service is excellent. We came on the weekend of the annual Penang Bridge marathon and it seemed the whole world was staying here. There was a ridiculously long queue checking in (and when we checked out the next day) with an average wait of 20-30 minutes. But the staff came to apologise to the crowd and told us what was being done and why the wait was long. Apparently it was all hands on deck, yet the line remained. Once at the front desk, the check-in staff was pleasant and made sure our checking-in was prompt without any further delay. Rooms had standard decor, pleasant and nice with a balcony that overlooked the Penang bridge. We ordered room service which came very promptly -- and more importantly, still warm! Just a floor below the lobby was a quiet little green oasis with a koi pond, hanging bridge and other water features. It presented a great way to spend some time with my toddler in a green environment. Take note that the hotel is up on a hill and there's nothing around it by way of shops or tourist products. It's a bit far from downtown George Town, so unless you have a car, this is not the hotel for anyone to overnight for a sightseeing trip. Our only gripe was the open air lobby. We had guests checking in nonchalantly with cigarettes hanging off their lips and smoke billowing all around. I had my toddler with me, and there were obviously other guests at the front desk who were very affected by the cigarette smoke. When we enquired if the hotel had a no smoking policy, we were told that because the lobby was open, smoking was allowed. We urge the management to re-consider this policy as it is just inconsiderate and downright rude to have smokers selfishly disregard their fellow guests when checking in. We noticed there were ample space around the lobby where chairs were available for them to indulge in their habit, but to group them with non-smokers at the reception? It's just very tactless on your side.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set majestically 250 feet above sea level, Hotel Equatorial Penang, which is peacefully tucked away on a hillock is just 7 minutes to the Penang International Airport and a mere distance to the Bayan Lepas Industrial Zone. The UNESCO Heritage Site listed George Town is only 20 minutes from the hotel. The 5-star hotel embraces a splendour of contemporary design. It houses 662 guestrooms and suites, each classily furnished and facilitated with state of the art in-room amenities. It is the top choice for executive retreats and incentive group gatherings. It houses two Grand Ballrooms which have been intelligently built with no obstruction of columns in between - reputed to be the largest on the island that can house up to 2,000 people. There are also 21 other function rooms. Penang island is famed for its eclectic cuisine and the hotel is no different with its variety of dining outlets. The hotel houses 5 innovative options ranging from classic French cuisine at The View to authentic Japanese fare at Kampachi. Other hotel facilities include a fully equipped fitness centre, outdoor swimming pool, squash and tennis courts, a business centre, scheduled shuttle services and impeccable service to complete a 5-star experience stay. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Fastbooking, Priceline, Hotwire, Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, Agoda, Hotels.com, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and HRS so you can book your Hotel Equatorial Penang reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Equatorial Penang Hotel
- Equatorial Penang Bayan Lepas
- Hotel Equatorial Penang Bayan Lepas