“Excellent Stay”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ripley
Cheshire
“Excellent Stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2014

We visited The Boars Head in Ripley in April 2014. We booked two rooms for a one night stay for a friends wedding at Ripley Castle. The location is superb for access to the castle just a minutes walk from the hotels entrance.

The service we experienced from the reception staff was great, we arrived earlier than expected and asked if we could check in earlier, our room was cleaned and we were able to check in early which gave us ample time to get ready for the wedding. The room we had was a gardeners cottage, it had an adjoining room which was great as we were all together.

The room was clean and comfortable and had all of the amenities we required. The Wifi was a little hit and miss which was a tad annoying at times as nine if us had any phone signal in Ripley.

Breakfast was great, there was a great selection of cereals, juices and croissants etc, and the gull English was good too. We can recommend the poached eggs, nice and runny in the centre.

Check out was easy.

We took advantage of the free entrance to the castle and the castle tour which is available to guests of The Boars Head, well worth a trip if you have time.

A lovely break, would recommend to anyone.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Boars_Head_Hotel, Manager at The Boar's Head, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
Excellent review, many thanks.
We are delighted to read that you all enjoyed your recent stay with us.
I do hope that we will get the chance to welcome you back again in the future.
Steve & The Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Yoxall, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2014 via mobile

Arrived here for a drink and a meal. The bar area wasn't in keeping with rest of hotel and was dark with poor decor. 2 foreign servers were in duty. We ordered drinks and was told the drinks would be added to our meal bill . We sat at table with menus - limited choice - all French based. We waited and waited and given there was only 1 more table with people on , thought we may get served? After 20 mins of being g ignored I went to the bar and paid for our finished drinks and we left . The servers didn't know what was going on nor had they any sign of customer service in them. Spoke to receptionist on way out who was friendly but what was happening in the bar - we went to eat in Harrogate instead - very nice

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ChrisJane25
I am very sorry to read that you did not receive our normal very high level of service, reflected in the review before and after yours.
I cannot offer any credible explanation as to why we missed the opportunity to serve you promptly and add your drinks to the bill as promised.
The bar area is not in a poor state of repair, but I can only assume that you do not like the décor.
We do hope that you will give us another chance next time
Saint Julian's, Malta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2014

Stayed with 7 other cyclists, using it as a base to watch some of the tour de France. No complaints, food was great, we ate in both the restaurant and bar. Staff were particularly good, on what was an extremely busy weekend.

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank dwitham1010
Boars_Head_Hotel, Manager at The Boar's Head, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
What a record breaking weekend!!!
The Tour de France was the most brilliant celebration of cycling that we have ever seen.
With lots more cycling events going on in Yorkshire, like The Tour of Yorkshire for the next three years, it looks like our cycling breaks will be rather popular.
Next time you are planning a cycling break , we hope to see you back at The Boar's Head.
Kindest regards
Sleaford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2014

This was the second time we've stayed here. Room excellent, we stayed in Keepers Lodge, a very well appointed room near the beer garden. We thought that it would be noisy, but were pleasantly surprised. Evening meal was superb, we had three courses instead of our usual two, the Theakstons Old Peculiar very fresh, so had a couple. Breakfast as usual was a great selection followed by a full Yorkshire. Only downside was that both boilers had failed and there was no hot water for a shower, which was a real let down as we had travelled a long way in a hot car the previous day.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank martin b
Fantastic review!!!
Many thanks for the positive comments. I can only apologise for the rather unfortunate double failure of the heating boilers. They were ,however, back up and running in about 2 hrs, so a very quick result for such a large challenge. The engineers did their best and I know that one or two rooms got a little surprise with a tepid shower.
I do hope that we will get the chance to welcome you back again soon.
Kindest regards
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2014

Stayed at the boars head for 1 night only. Arrived at 2pm and shown to our room across the road . The room did have a very strong smell of disinfectant . Unpacked and settled in . The room was ok shower area could do with a face lift and maybe replace the lino and the carpet on the bottom step . but i wouldnt say superior for £166.00 per night bed and breakfast seemed a tad expencive when you are not in the hotel itself it never feels the same . ( experienced this a few times in different places ) as somebody else mentioned i do think that some areas are well used and could do with a make over . Dinner and breakfast were good and the atmosphere was lively. Enjoyed the castle trip and the grounds . Checked out and headed home .

Room Tip: Probably in the hotel
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Thanks for taking the time to post a review. I am a little puzzled about your "price of breakfast " comment as your rate included breakfast charges, however, many people do come in and join us for our famous Full Yorkshire breakfast , which includes our extensive cold buffet of fresh fruit salad, freshly baked croissants, Danish pastries, cereals , yoghurts, fruit compote, fruit juices, and as much fresh toast as you can eat, so for a price of just £10.50, I am not surprised that we have never had a negative comment about the price of our Breakfast.
I do hope that we will get the chance to welcome you back again soon.
Leeds, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

I arrived later than I had intended at the Boars Head on the Thursday evening before my Sister's Wedding on the Friday because of traffic around the Harrogate and the show, though it was only around 8.30 pm. When I checked-in I asked for a table to be booked in the restaurant whilst I went to my room to refresh myself. I was soon down to the restaurant being hungry after a day at work and travel. I was shown to my table and handed a menu and then left!! After a hard day at work, traffic and the anticipation of playing the organ the following day I was in desperate need of a glass of nice cool white wine on a very hot evening. I waited and waited, trying to show intention on my face to any passing waiters. I eventually gave-up and went to the bar and asked if I could make my order, I was told to be seated and my order would be taken. However, still no rush and eventually my order was taken both for my wine and food. The wine did arrive, the food did take longer than I would normally anticipate but my desperation may have set in by then. The food did eventually arrive and very well presented. When I finished again there was no rush to clear the table or to offer me a dessert menu to the point that I had to ask again. I did eventually have a dessert order taken.

I then returned to my room to use the ensuite toilet which when I had finished I flushed to find there was insufficient power to remove my left deposits. The cistern then took an eternity to refill with the trickle of water that was coming through to it. I tried several times without any success of removing what remained in the toilet basin. Which I in a very unsavoury way had to leave for the night. I reported this to reception the next morning, though nothing from what I could see was done as the same thing happened the following evening!!

It is sad, from what looks a lovely hotel from the website, that the total lack of focus of the waiters at dinner and the ensuite toilet have very much marred my image of the Boars Head. My room was very beautifully finished, clean and well presented, with an assortment of teas, coffee, biscuits and chocolates. Ripely is a very pretty little village and the castle is outstanding, warm and welcoming with very beautiful gardens for which you get a free pass to from the hotel - perhaps better offered when you arrive rather than when leaving (so do ask for it). From what I paid to what I experienced this hotel and dining does not represent value for money and it is sad that I have felt compelled to write such a review.

Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Paul T
I am sorry to read in your very extensive review,that you experienced a short delay in getting our reputed friendly service , but I am delighted to read that overall you enjoyed your stay with us.
We look forward to you visiting again.
Leicester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2014

Excellent location and friendly staff. The room we had was ok but it needed some updating. we had a shower curtain with brown stains at the bottom and some old white bathroom sealant still on the bath presumably from an old glass screen. This gave a dated atmosphere. If there was air conditioning in the room i could not find it (Moreton Room) and the temperature overnight was unbearable. Breakfast was well cooked and service excellent with a range of food in a pleasant dining area. Reasonably priced in view of the moderate facilities. Would stay again especially since it is in an excellent village and good place to have trips out.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Steve M
Boars_Head_Hotel, Manager at The Boar's Head, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
Many thanks for taking the time to write a review.
I am pleased to red that you enjoyed many aspects of your stay , but am sorry to read that the shower curtain was discoloured and the bath sealant offended you.
The shower curtain has been changed, as they routinely are and the sealant is actually there by design to stop the water from overflowing by the tap when people don't pull the curtain along fully. It never ceases to amaze me that people don't take more care to protect from water spilling over when staying away from home, I'm sure they wouldn't let water knowingly flow over the floor when they are at home. I will re look at the bathroom to see if there is a more attractive way of achieving this.
I am pleased to see that will be planning another visit, we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
kind regards
Steve & The Team.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ripley
Rudding Park Hotel
Studley Hotel and Orchid Restaurant
The West Park Hotel
The West Park Hotel
#2 of 30 in Harrogate

Been to The Boar's Head? Share your experiences!