“Lovely location & Ripley Castle interesting”
Review of The Boar's Head

The Boar's Head
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ripley
Reviewed January 7, 2014

I booked superior double rooms on booking.com paying £129 per room (would have been £150 direct with the Boar's Head). Unfortunately, I would definitely not call them superior and felt disappointed with the price. Maximum I would charge would be £100! I don't know what constitutes a superior rating but being reasonably large is not enough for me. There were some lovely touches, home made biscuits and everything was clean but then its down to the usual tea making facilites, ironing board, hair dryer, tv, and the decor was dated. We stayed in the house across the road - you don't feel like you belong to the experience on offer. The night we stayed Sat 4 Jan we had a girl carrying on outside screaming and crying at 3am! Obviously not the Boar's Heads fault. The staff, food and complimentary tour of the castle were all excellent although I did feel a bit rushed when we were having our meal.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lynn H
Boars_Head_Hotel, Manager at The Boar's Head, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2014

Many thanks for posting a review following your recent stay with us.
I am delighted to read that you rated many aspects of your stay with us as excellent and I will be sure to pass on those comments to the entire team. Sorry that you were disturbed by the mystery screaming banshee, I hope that your next visit will be an nudist urged one .
Kind regards

Reviewed January 3, 2014

Stayed at the Boar's Head for one night after spotting a great deal on Groupon. Myself and my partner stayed in one of the standard double rooms, which was lovely and spacious. The breakfast didn't disappoint, either, couldn't fault it! Although we were only there for B&B, we chose to dine in the hotel bistro on the night we arrived, and again it proved a good decision. Why bither goung into Harrogate for your evening meal when there's food of this quality at the place you're staying? The whole staff, from the manager down to the bar staff were very friendly and helpful and there seemed to be a great team spirit amongst them. Probably the beat hotel I've ever stayed at.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Redstarblackpool
Boars_Head_Hotel, Manager at The Boar's Head, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2014

We remember your recent stay and it was a pleasure to be able to accommodate your requests.
I do hope that next time you are in the area we will be able to welcome you again.
Maybe then, you will take the opportunity to visit Ripley Castle with the complimentary tickets available to all of our residential guests.
Kind regards , and here's to the next time.

Reviewed December 29, 2013

I visited this hotel as a member of a wedding party and I would like to say how pleased it was to have done so.From the moment I booked in until I handed back the key to my room at the end of my stay the staff did all that was possible to make the stay enjoyable ,Courteous,polite and well turned out .The room was nice and clean and tidy,facilities were plentiful in the room and the booking/out was so easy .I can honestly recommend this hotel and will be visiting there again.A visit to the castle is definitely a must too.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Boars_Head_Hotel, Manager at The Boar's Head, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2014

Many thanks for making your first review such a great one about us.
I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your recent stay with and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon so that you can do it all again.
Kind regards
Steve & The Team

Reviewed December 27, 2013

Stayed at the Boar's Head recently - had a wonderful experience. The room was quirky, clean and comfortable. Diner and breakfast were both faultless. Would love to stay again if the opportunity arose.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Boars_Head_Hotel, Manager at The Boar's Head, responded to this reviewResponded December 29, 2013

A wonderful review, many thanks.
I am very pleased to read that you had such a wonderful time and delighted to read that you are looking forward to coming back. I notice that you are not far away in Halifax , so don't wait too long before you come to see us again.
Wishing you a very happy and healthy 2014

Reviewed December 23, 2013

The Boar's Head is a real gem. Comfortable accommodation within characterful surroundings. Staff welcoming and friendly and hotel is price competitive. Outstanding breakfasts. Highly recommended. So good we came back on our return journey. Combined with a complementary guided tour of the castle we had an enjoyable and memorable stay.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Boars_Head_Hotel, Manager at The Boar's Head, responded to this reviewResponded December 23, 2013

Fabulous feedback, many thanks.
I am delighted to read that you had such a great time.See you again soon.
Merry christmas from all of us here.
Steve & The Team,.

Reviewed December 22, 2013

We booked a basic room and it was good. Very spacious and clean. Some parts of the room need a bit of a sprucing up. Like the chocolate pig on the pillow. Comfortable big room. The room was in an old stable block at the side

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Thanks for the four out of five.
We are starting some renovation works in the new year with the courtyard rooms being the first on the list.
I do hope that by the next time you visit we will score a five out of five.
Regards
Steve and The Team.

Reviewed December 18, 2013

We recently had a Christmas dinner at the Boars Head and I am afraid to say it was poor on every level. The hotel is nice, old England charm, but that's where the compliments stop. The food was awful and the service was a joke - we waited well over an hour between courses!
To make things worse, staff were arguing with each other and then someone decided to clean the kitchen, which left an awful bleach smell and taste on the tongue. We then had to wait an absolute age to pay the bill.
We have had similar experiences in the past and every time we go we vow never to return, only to be tempted back by friends who've had a better experience.
This time my minds made up - if they can't be bothered - neither can I.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank BinnyHarrogate

PLEASE DO BOTHER!!!
Do bother, because we bother!!! we are bothered that you didn't have an enjoyable stay, we are bothered if people don't continue to give us feedback so that we can strive to improve on what we do, bother because lots of other guests (like your friends that you mention) have a fantastic time when they come and visit us, bother because we do care (unlike your statement ) ,bother because we will continue to try and do our best.
I bothered to do a thorough investigation into your comments and I sincerely apologise that your evening was tainted by the impromptu cleaning of the kitchens at caused the bleachy smell.
However, I have not managed to find any evidence of a staff argument or an hour long wait that you mention. I am very sorry that these events have made you decide not to visit in the future, I can only hope that you reconsider.
Merry Christmas and a happy new year from all of us here.
Regards
Steve & The Team.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ripley
Old Swan Hotel
#7 of 30 in Harrogate
Cairn Hotel
Cairn Hotel
#11 of 30 in Harrogate

Been to The Boar's Head? Share your experiences!