“Great place to eat & enjoy”
Review of Wild Duck Inn

Wild Duck Inn
Reserve with OpenTable
Wild Duck Inn is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Ewen
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Drinks, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: A traditional Cotswold Inn with a rich history. Perfect for a Sunday roast or simply a pint of local beer.Ivy droops over the Cotswold stone of this beautiful, sixteenth century coaching inn near Cirencester. Expect proper English, seasonal pub food using the best ingredients we can find.Our lunch and supper menus are deeply rooted in everyone's favourite British classics. Tuck into Pork Belly Confit or Roasted Guinea Fowl Breast or try one of our legendary Sunday roasts which are worth the trip just for the roast alone.
Chippenham, United Kingdom
“Great place to eat & enjoy”
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Had an excellent time at the Wild Duck, went with four friends for the first time and was a bit unsure after reading some of the reviews - not sure if they were for the same pub.
Had a great welcome ever when we arrived late, had time for a drink at the bar, were not rushed into ordering or pushed into going to our table.
Food was good & enjoyable, not sure on price as I didn't pay.
Will be back & glad I wasn't put off by some reviews, so try it yourself.

Inverness, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Disappointed!”
Reviewed September 22, 2013

My children were treating me to dinner for my 60th birthday. Table booked for 8pm for 5, but on arrival at 7.50 were told they were running 10 minutes behind so to have a drink in the bar. At 8.35 we were eventually shown to our table which had been vacant all the time and given menus. However when we came to order we were told the soup had changed from Butternut Squash to French Onion, the Angus beef and Guinness stew was now steak and kidney pie the monkfish dish had also changed as had the Sausage and mash dish to Sausage Cassoulet with lentils. We re-ordered, but were very disappointed in the meal overall. The wild mushroom risotto was all rice, not a lot of mushroom, and bland as was the monkfish with sticky rice (and no vegetables). The beer battered fish and the onion rings had been left in the fryer too long and were on the verge of being burnt and too hard to eat and the Steak was served with chips and again no veg. When we were asked if everything was ok with our meal and we pointed out that we were not happy, all the young man said was he would let the chef know! Needless to say no one came near us until they presented the bill! A very disappointing birthday meal and not worth the money!

1 Thank Cynthia N
London, United Kingdom
“wild duck”
Reviewed September 13, 2013

the food is excellent but the time it takes to serve could be anoying for some people. It is worth waiting for and you may need to book a table to make sure of a meal.

Visited September 2013
Cirencester, United Kingdom
“Not wild about this duck”
Reviewed September 12, 2013

I want so much to be able to praise a local establishment which employs charming young people. I want to praise the way we were greeted - but it took us nearly twenty minutes to be acknowledged and taken to our table: for goodness' sake, why can't they have a designated receptionist who doesn't have to bother serving drinks? I want to praise the wine, but they only had a ready-opened bottle of the wine we wanted - and offered at a discount (!) of £8 above the full price - and then reduced it to only £4 below the full price. I want to praise the food, but chicken with coriander came with rocket, not coriander, and where, come to think of it, was the sweet onion? My main course's honey-glazed vegetables came with under-steamed green beans. The waiting staff to whom we complained apologised, but did nothing: if I'd seen a glint in a customer's eye like the one in mine I'd have had the sense to fetch the manager to grovel and offer a drink on the house. We even told the girl taking our payment we'd not be back, and still there was no response except a delightful smile.

Such a shame: I hate being cross on my wedding anniversary treat. Next time I'll cook myself: at least I know I'll get the ingredients right. Believe me, I submit this review more in sorrow than in anger.

3 Thank judith_cutler
Ewen, United Kingdom
“Slippery Slope.....”
Reviewed August 30, 2013

Unfortunately I cannot remain silent any longer. I have been frequenting the dining room at the Wild Duck on a reasonably regular basis over the past couple of years, and each time I have gone away disappointed with some aspect of the experience, returning only because of convenience. Sadly this cannot continue!
On my most recent visit, after ordering a rib-eye steak for £23.95, I was presented with a lone steak with sauce on the plate and a small side of chips. No garnish, greens, leaves or anything. Though the steak was reasonably pleasant to eat it has to rate as one of the most bland meal presentations I have ever received. I requested a side of mixed salad (not offered on the menu) for which I was charged an additional £3.00.
It is my understanding that there have been some changes in management recently and this has probably endeared me to return hoping that changes in service deliverance are afoot. Sadly not to date, and if anything, the Wild Duck is on a slippery slope to nowhere!
The Wild Duck is a lovely old Coaching Inn dating back to the 16th century and I believe has previously had a well-earned reputation for hospitality and service. Clearly this is not evident at the moment. There is a distinct lack of TLC with the environs, from the dirty, over-grown, wasp infested Beer Garden to the dusty, neglected internal hop decorations and forgotten toilets. My most consistent gripe however would have to be service levels and I do not blame the wait staff for this themselves. I commend the use of local students for waiting tables but a lack of training is always evident. I am of the opinion that any establishment is only as good as their staff and with a little time and effort service levels can become exceptional. In my opinion, any establishment similar to the Wild Duck should consistently strive for this level of service, if not always attained.
With a small effort from the right operators the Wild Duck can, and hopefully will return to a reputable establishment, but for the moment - forewarned is forearmed!

• Visited August 2013