“Beautiful resort, but undermined by uneven customer service”
Review of Constance Lemuria

Constance Lemuria
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Anse Kerlan
Reviewed November 30, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 4 nights in a sea-facing Junior Suite (450 Euro/night) after visiting several other Seychelle Islands, which included a stay at the sister hotel in Mahe, the Constance Ephelia. We found it hard to rate the Lemuria due to the extreme variations we experienced in terms of customer service, communication, follow-up and the variable quality of the food and mixed drinks. Our rating reflects these disparities.

On the plus side, the resort is one of the most beautiful we have ever stayed at, the beaches (especially Anse Georgette) were exquisite, and most of the staff were friendly. A highlight was when we received a call from the front desk telling us that the staff were about to release some turtle hatchlings on the beach, and they escorted us to the place where we and the other guests could witness this spectacular event. There were also ‘turtle etiquette’ guidelines in the rooms to advise guests how to enjoy watching turtles without interrupting them, since it was peak season for turtle nesting. This was a real treat.

Unfortunately there were numerous, repeated problems that mostly obliterated what could have been an outstanding stay. For example, when we checked in, a long series of staff escorted us around, one of whom asked us to complete a form to collect info on our names and contact details, special events that you may be celebrating, food allergies, etc. Despite this, throughout our stay we were repeatedly referred to by the wrong names (even after correcting this with staff, the manager and the front desk), they overlooked my husband’s food allergy (twice), and they missed our anniversary. (These latter two problems were corrected, but only after we pointed them out). The girl that escorted us to our room was sweet, and she promised to do three things that she never followed up on, one of which was making a reservation for our ferry to La Digue, and another was exchanging the complimentary t-shirt we were given for a larger size. She did neither of these, so the next day we visited the lower reception desk where we asked another staff person to make the ferry booking and a ride to the jetty. He said he would leave a message for us confirming this, and again, we never received a confirmation call. (More on that later). The next day, we visited the upper reception desk to inform them that the girl who escorted us to our room had not followed up on any of our requests. She asked us “which girl” we were talking about since she had no way of checking. We had no idea since the resort is teeming with staff. We also complained that the TV reception was spotty; this was not fixed and did not appear to be linked to the weather.
The next day we visited the lower reception to see if the ferry booking had finally been made. A staff person we had never seen before checked the book and found nothing. He also kept answering the phone and assisting other guests while we were waiting. By now, we were really annoyed and decided to speak to the manager on duty. He was not available, so we told the reception staff what had happened, and another staff made the booking while we waited. We told her we still wanted to speak to the manager and she promised to tell him to speak to us. (He never followed up, but the staff person from lower reception who we had tried to make the booking with earlier called to say that it had been done, but was recorded under a different name). Later, we received a lovely book from the concierge upon checking out to make up for the ferry booking fiasco, which was a very nice touch, but somehow did not make up for all the problems we experienced.

All in all, we were amazed that such a beautiful 5-star hotel could have so many problems, mostly related to poor communication, lack of follow-up and no real quality control. Since this is one of the pricier hotels, we expected more and left with mixed feelings. We learned from the manager that this hotel is changing ownership and experiencing a lot of staff turnover, so this likely explains the variable reviews recently. Perhaps the situation will improve.

Room Tip: Rooms with lower numbers are closer to the lodge and restaurants and are hence more conveniently sit...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank steff0566
LemuriaResort, General Manager at Constance Lemuria, responded to this reviewResponded December 30, 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

I am happy to read the review of your recent stay at Constance Lemuria Resort and would like to sincerely thank you for your kind comments.
Indeed Anse Georgette is one of the most spectacular beaches in Seychelles and we are proud to have such a magnificent treasure to share with our guests.
I am delighted to read that you had appreciate our “Turtle moments” and you enjoyed watching them in their natural and protect environment
I regret the discomfort you experienced during your stay with us. I would have hoped for a much smoother experience for you as we always expect of our esteemed guests.
I take this seriously and will address the same to our Team expeditiously, particularly our front of house team and our Quality manger.
We hope to have the pleasure to welcoming you back in the near future.

Yours sincerely,

Write a ReviewReviews (1,951)

Reviewed November 22, 2012 via mobile

Don't believe the negative reviews.
The staff are excellent.
The surroundings are stunning.
The infinity pool is stunning.
I stayed 6 nights in other five star resorts after I left the lumeria .my original thought was if there half as good as the lumeria I don't mind .unfortunately they were not.
Wish I stayed at the lumeria for my complete trip to the Seychelles.
It's the setting. Beaches and the excellent staff that made it for me .the buffet was not a strong point , but ok.
Would love to go back asap .many thanks to the staff for looking after us so well.

• Stayed: October 2012
LemuriaResort, General Manager at Constance Lemuria, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for choosing Constance Lemuria Resort as your home during your recent trip to Seychelles.

I am happy to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us and would like to thank you for sharing your delightful experience on “Trip Advisor”. I will be pleased to share the same with our Team members.

Once again thank you for your valued feedback and we look forward to your return visit in the very near future at Constance Lemuria Resort.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed November 22, 2012

We stayed at Lemuria for 7 nights and loved every moment we were there.
It has some breath taking Views, excellent service, great food, very friendly staff. The golf course is great with some very memorable holes.

I would definitely recommend Lemuria to anyone looking for a stunning holiday in a 5* hotel, with awesome service and great food. They really looked after us. It's good service and you feel like the hotel genuinely cares about you. Most importantly the Seychelles is stunning. You will go to Anse Georgette and spend your whole life dreaming of going back. You will pity people for not having been there - it's indescribably beautiful. To share that with your other half, or your family, is worth the trip alone.

We were spoilt while there and want to return there soon.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple

Dear Valued Guest,

I am delighted to read your very positive reviews about Constance Lemuria Resort and would like to sincerely thank you for your kind feedback.

Thank you also for your kind compliments and acknowledging our efforts to ensure your holidays with us continue to exceed your expectations.

Along with my team, I look forward to welcoming you back to Constance Lemuria Resort in the very near future.

Reviewed November 22, 2012

This was ours fourth visit to a Constance hotel. The hotel is superb. The suites are spacy, well equipped and cozy. We also saw one of the the eight villas and they are absolutely gorgerous. The restaurants are very good, dinner on the rocks was very romantic, but we have enjoyed the main restaurant Legend as well. The SPA is fabulous, golf course very nice and the last 6 holes are amazing. Especially the view from the 14th, 15th and 18th tee are fabulous and you will never forget them. The guest relations personal was very friendly, especially Victor, who has taken good care of us.
The only thing is the price level of the extras, there could be something done, because sometimes you get the feeling you are getting ripped off.
Overall experience is very good and we will probably return someday.

Room Tip: You want to go for the suites with the lower numbers, they are situated near the Anse Petite Kerlan...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MartinKonicek
Reviewed November 17, 2012

We stayed at the Lemuria for 3 nights at the end of October 2012. Overall we enjoyed our stay, would have liked to stay longer and would recommend it to others. We think that there are things the hotel could do to improve the enjoyment of its guests - most notably reduce the price of extras - but we cannot agree with reviewers who have suggested that it is no better than a 3 star hotel.

The setting

The Lemuria's unique selling point is the beauty of its setting. The swimming beach close to the hotel has soft sand and calm water and never feels crowded. It also offers surprisingly good snorkelling. The extensive golf course adjacent to the hotel is effectively a lovely tropical park, which you don't need to be a golfer to enjoy. Don't miss the view from the 15th tee. As dusk approaches and the fruit bats are flying overhead, a walk across the golf course is particularly enchanting.

However, the jewel in the Lemuria's crown is the gorgeous Anse Georgette, which is in its own way as beautiful as Anse Lazio but feels more exclusive, especially at the start and end of the day, when it was almost deserted. It is possible to visit Anse Georgette if you are not staying at the Lemuria, but the hotel has a regular shuttle which whisks you there in only a few minutes.

The accommodation

Our junior suite was well equipped and very comfortable. The AC was not icily cold, but cool enough for us and the bed was extremely comfortable.

Food and service

Contrary to some of the reviews below, we thought that the buffet in the main restaurant was excellent. It offers a very wide selection, the raw materials i.e. meat, fish and vegetables were of high quality and well cooked. We also ate in the Beach Bar and Grill, where the grilled lobster was delicious (but not cheap).

We found the staff generally to be courteous and attentive. There were one or two occasions when we had to ask for things twice but overall the staff appeared to be well trained and keen to please.

Activities

There is a wide range of water sports. Kayaking is rather limited, because you are not permitted to go beyond the headland. The golf course is challenging but a lot of fun. Although a round of golf is described as free for guests, the compulsory buggy and clubs cost around £75. There is not much to do in the evening but we really enjoyed the chill-out music played by DJ Quentin Wagner.

Cost of extras

Our only significant criticism of the Lemuria is the expense of extras. We would strongly recommend taking half board, as the hotel often seems to have deals on this. However, lunch and drinks are still a significant expense. For example, a 75 cl bottle of Pellegrino costs approximately £9, the cheapest bottle of wine was around £40, and a local beer, which you could buy for a £1 in a grocery, cost £5.50. We think the management would do themselves a favour if they were to reduce the cost of simple extras and perhaps introduce a range of house wines which are reasonably priced. There is a local grocery about 10 minutes away on the hotel's (free) bike but pack a ruck sack, because the bikes don't have baskets.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank MelanieT41
Reviewed October 28, 2012

We were booked here for 7 nights,however after 2 dreadful days we had to arrange to move out and go to another resort. Yes the place and setting is great along with the golf, however we had so many issues that we just could no longer stay at the resort. We complained to the management who in all honesty did try to resolve the issues, however most of the problems are inherent and not resolvable over night!
We were given 2 rooms and in both the a/c was not functioning correctly, the water from the taps ran 'yellow in colour',we were given the reason for this as being that the water is sourced from the forest and therefore acquires pigmentation from the vegetation! we were assured that it was safe to drink but I have travelled all over the world to some of the remote regions and never come across this problem.
The beds were terrible and the sheets had bobbles and the mattresses just awful.
After a few complaints the sheets were changed but no difference was made and the a/c never got fixed!
In terms of food we went to the buffet dinner on the first night and it was absolutely terrible. There was too much salt in most of the dishes, the service was terrible and to tell you the truth nearly every dish we tasted was awful, in taste and presentation. We were so appalled by the food that the only other meal we had was at breakfast the next morning when we were served raw eggs, cold coffee & stale cereals. To top it all we were given a bill of approx £380.00 for the evening buffet meal which frankly no one ate and the kids basically had to resort to plain pasta.

After this fiasco we were promised free dinners, complimentary drinks etc but to tell you the truth we just could not go on at the resort any longer! We contacted our travel agent and she arranged for us to be moved to Raffles which is absolutely divine and probably one of the best resorts we have ever stayed at.
As I said earlier it is an nice resort with great beaches and facilities but the staff need to be all changed and all the chefs as well! The service is worst than a 3 star resort and believe me I am not kidding!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
12  Thank SRKLondon
LemuriaResort, General Manager at Constance Lemuria, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to write about your recent stay at Lemuria Resort.

It is saddening to read that the hotel and its service standards did not meet your expectations and I apologize for the disappointing experiences you encountered during your vacation.

We pride ourselves in delighting our clients to make sure their stay is memorable and I regret that this was not the case on your visit. However, I wish to assure you that we are taking appropriate measures with regards to the issues brought forward, which will definitely help us in continue striving for changes and improvements.

We do hope that you will reconsider a return visit in our Resort or in one of our sister properties.

Yours sincerely

Reviewed October 5, 2012

I am prompted to write this review after having read some poor ones recently and wanted to give you an honest, balanced opinion.

I visited Lemuria for a 10 day holiday in July 2011 (ignore the date below) together with my wife, for our honeymoon. If you read no further then at least know that we have no regrets and would go back in a flash.

It's important you know about me, so you can judge my opinion. I am 30 years old, my wife is 28, we enjoy going on nice holidays that feel exclusive, rarely use travel agents if we can avoid it and good food is very important to us. I have been to plenty of 5* hotels before and know the difference between a wannabe 5 and the genuine article.

Lemuria is a real 5* star resort that has a few imperfections but any really bad reviews I would guess are down to being particularly unlucky, or the reviewer comparing the hotel against a far more expensive rival. To give you some perspective, I paid £5,500 for our stay (including return flights from London with Emirates), which was 10 days in a Junior Suite on half board. If I remember rightly, half board is the most you can go for (no FB or AI here).

The hotel is set in a stunning location. It feels as though you are in a nature reserve that has been carved out of the hillside. The hotel's main beach Petite Kerlan is beautiful. When the sun shines, it's breath-taking. It is made to look positively ugly by Anse Georgette but I challenge anyone to find a more perfect beach on Earth than Georgette. Unfortunately, Georgette is a fairly annoying distance to walk carrying beach stuff, so it's usually a wait for a buggy-ride away. Petite Kerlan is seconds from your room and becomes your best friend very quickly.

So, the location is beautiful. Check.

There is also wildlife everywhere! I fell in love with seeing so many cool creatures everyday. Birds, lizards, crabs, geckos, fish, rays, turtles, all sorts roaming around. It feels like we're in their habitat, which is great.

The Junior Suite was lovely. It's not ultra modern, so I can understand why some feel the decor is dated but it feels rich, warm and high quality. Definitely not shabby. All the furniture is well made in reassuringly solid wood. It feels grand enough without trying too hard. I've stayed in far cooler looking rooms and ones that appear more luxurious but I don't think I've actually enjoyed 10 days in a room more than in this one. The Junior Suites have patio areas out the back which face Grand Kerlan. This is a much longer, more rugged, windswept sort of beach. Good for walks if you want to feel far away from things but not particularly soothing to lounge next to I wouldn't have thought.

Bathroom was great, his & hers sinks, nice pressure on the shower etc. all pretty standard but with a nice finish. The entertainment system was awesome. It's Apple and just works. Loads of free movies on demand, good choice of English channels and excellent free wifi. I could FaceTime family in the UK no problem.

Nice rooms then? Yes. Our air conditioning unit started rattling one night but they sent a guy out to fix it immediately and it was all sorted within 30 mins of having started.

We found the service to be awesome throughout our stay. Nothing was too much trouble. We had a brilliant guy looking after us the whole time. He was Spanish, with perfect English; a cool dude, who always seemed to pop up from nowhere to make sure we were having the perfect holiday. Towel guys by the beach were exceptional, bar staff friendly, golf buggy drivers pleasant, golf pro lovely and the concierge great. 90% of the time the right balance is struck between formality, familiarity and intuitive service. There were a few occasions when service might have been a bit slow when waiting for a drink to arrive at lunch but these things will happen because there are always a few staff in any hotel (I would guess) that will drop the ball but that's the same in any profession anywhere in the world. The were no howlers.

I would say we were made to feel very special and the service is 5*. You will find better in the world but you'd be paying more money for it; there are loads of far more expensive options / chains available. I think Lemuria's service is about right for the overall cost. The Four Seasons in Seychelles (not sure which one / where but remember checking prices when booking) is considerably more expensive - I gather Four Seasons are supposed to be exceptional and if you use that as a benchmark, then Lemuria probably comes out very favourably, as the service couldn't have been much better, if a all.

So, great location, nice rooms (even the cheapest ones) and real 5* service. On to the food...

Ok, so I love food. I eat in lots of nice restaurants (including Michelin starred) and cook well myself. With that in mind...

Legends Restaurant (Buffet Dinner, a la carte lunch, buffet breakfast)

Anyone that says the buffet in Legends restaurant is rubbish is lying or doesn't know what they're talking about. For a buffet, it's exceptional. Any buffet that has, as one of its meat selections, an entire chateaubriand fillet about a metre long and completely pink in the middle along its whole length, is not rubbish. That is one example of 2 or 3 wonderful meats that are cooked on any given evening. The chefs made beautiful duck, lamb, pork, steaks of all kinds, chicken, they had it all. That is one tiny station of about 5 possible main choices each night. It changed every time we were there and didn't get boring at all.

There was a wonderful salad bar, an Italian station, a choice of freshly caught whole fish or fillets, an Indian station serving awesome chicken or fish tikka, curries, freshly baked naans, all sorts. There was a starter station with about 8 or 9 different starter options that all looked amazing and tasted good. If you were served any trio of these as part of an a la carte meal, you wouldn't be dissatisfied.

A reviewer below said the food was shocking. I ate in Legends a few times for dinner and a couple of times for lunch. It was always good and never once poor. There wasn't a huge amount of creole cuisine but that didn't bother me. Breakfast was good every day, without being revolutionary. It's everything you need and it's a stunning setting to have breakfast in - I want to go back just thinking about it. There are some quite cunning birds that will attempt to acquire your food - I found this amusing but some might not.

Overall, I thought the quality of the buffet dinner was great, although it wasn't as good as eating in say a £50 per head restaurant in the UK. But it will never be, it's a buffet - food isn't cooked to order. The only problem is that it is expensive (I think it cost about £100 for two people), so I would highly recommend going for half board, otherwise you won't feel like you've received value for money and will get annoyed. Go with HB and it will be a pleasure.

Beach Bar & Grill (a la carte dinner & lunch on the rocks)

We ate at the other two restaurants a few times each. Beach Bar & Grill restaurant is a lovely place to eat, right on the rocks with the waves breaking beneath the terrace. Its a cool place to have an aperitif beforehand, although alcohol is hideously expensive everywhere in the hotel. I think a spirit and mixer cost about £10 and the cheapest bottle of wine available was about £30 (a Chilean Rose if I remember rightly, not my cup of tea but quaffable). There was a really nice Chablis available in half bottles, which was lovely. Wine selection in general is superb but you need to be happy spending over £100 per night just on wine in order to enjoy it. I would have loved to but would feel too guilty. The service was always great, the sommelier knew his stuff and if you saved any wine from the previous night (I don't think we ever did) it would find it's way to you the next day. A nice touch.

Beach Bar & Grill food was good, very good in fact. Lots of nice seafood, good steak option, a fine lamb dish and lots of tempting starters. However, the menu didn't change often enough so by the third visit you had the potential to have tried all your first choices. The meals are very good though and feel like a proper event. You receive an amuse-bouche, some nice inter-course cleansers and the general standard of cooking is high. You would not begrudge paying at least £50 a head for it in the UK and with the setting you're in, it would be double that anywhere in Europe. Is it the best food I've ever had? No. But I would look forward to going back for a meal at the Beach Bar very much and if you don't get the chance to eat out a lot then you will probably adore it. That's a thumbs up.

Seahorse Restaurant (signature a la carte, fine dining restaurant for dinner)

The Seahorse I actually thought was a bit disappointing. It tries too hard without really having someone skilled enough to pull the cooking off, or so I thought on the occasion we tried it. It has a lovely sounding menu, perhaps a bit pretentious in parts, with foams and emulsions etc. so if you get put off by fancy faire then this probably isn't for you. I definitely enjoyed my meal but I'm not sure I would have if I'd had to pay the prix a la carte - which probably would have cost £100 per head. For instance, I had scallops that sounded amazing and should have been. But they weren't cooked perfectly and you have to nail scallops if you're charging that sort of money, no excuses. They might have been having an off day? The service was still good and the setting was really nice - not as naturally charming as the rocks but nice decor, furniture etc. it did feel like an occasion.

Overall, I'd say that the food and drink is very good but it's priced badly. Every dish was tasty and I looked forward to each meal but if it were all a bit cheaper then the expectation wouldn't be as high. If you go for half board then you won't worry about the cost of dinner, so that's fine. If you love drinking wine then be prepared to spend a bit. We went HB, had a private dinner on the beach one night (which was beautiful, 5 courses, highly recommend it), ate lunch about half the time and drank wine every night, plus a few beers and long drinks from time to time. I think we spent about £1,000 over the 10 days on that. I hope that helps you work out how much you'd need to budget beyond the HB.

I would definitely recommend Lemuria to anyone looking for a stunning holiday in a 5* hotel, with awesome service and great food. They really looked after us on our honeymoon, with beautiful touches e.g. champagne, endless fruit baskets, a special 6 course honeymoon menu one night etc. There are also loads of notes under your door and calls occasionally just to make sure you're happy. It's good service and you feel like the hotel genuinely cares about you.

Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
16  Thank Tallness
LemuriaResort, General Manager at Constance Lemuria, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2012

Dear Guests

How wonderful to read that you have spent a wonderful time with us at Constance Lemuria Resort and that all came out perfectly to create such a memorable vacation.

I am happy that you had an enchanting holiday enjoying our Resort & its facilities as well as the breathtaking Anse Georgette, the unique “On the rocks” and our beautiful Golf course.

I appreciate your compliments on our services & the kindness of our Team members and will ensure that your feedback is transmitted accordingly.

We hope to have the pleasure to welcoming you back in the near future.

Yours sincerely

Le Duc de Praslin
Le Duc de Praslin
#3 of 11 in Anse Volbert
Coco de Mer - Black Parrot Suites
Coco de Mer - Black Parrot Suite...
#1 of 1 in Anse Bois de Rose

Been to Constance Lemuria? Share your experiences!