“Paradise”

MAIA Luxury Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Anse Louis
Reviewed January 10, 2011

This was one of the best holidays that we have ever had. We are a family of 5, with 3 children aged 11, 9 and 7. The moment that we arrived on this beautiful island we felt we were in paradise. On arriving in Maia we were met by out butlers who were fantastic. Every morning we would wake to a table laden down with our breakfast. The butlers were discreet, yet always there for us should we need them. For dinner, we had the choice whether to eat in the privacy of our villa, enjoy a wonderful meal in the restaurant or the amazing experience of having a private chef preparing a barbecue at the villa. The children were always entertained. They were either swimming in the pool, or the sea, picking amazing shells from the beaches, checking to see whether the turtle eggs had hatched, or being entertained by the butlers and kids entertainment staff. Everyday there was something for them. They could paint coconuts or print designs onto canvases, they made papier mache boxes which they decorated. The entertainment staff organized an amazing treasure hunt, which the kids declared 'was the best they had ever had', coming back to the villa with treasures galore. For mum and dad, the trip to the spa was unforgettable. The treatment areas are at one with nature, outdoors and nestled into the vegetation. The facial I had was the best ever and my skin had never looked so good - probably helped by the La Prairie products. I would really recommend this hotel, not just for couples, but for families with children too.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
11  Thank Amanda B

Reviewed November 29, 2010

It is the best otel I've ever been to. I liked the privacy and that they were not too many other guests. The rooms were outstanding, the food exquisite and our butler very discret. The beach with the rocks is not ideal, but many other beaches were like that. The Spa was also great.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank RussianLady
Reviewed October 28, 2010

We checked into Maia for 5 nights as the last hotel on our honeymoon.

Room:
We stayed in one of the signature villas towards the top of the property (I believe all Maia villas are the same but are priced on location / privacy). The room was bigger than the presidential villa we had just left at the Banyan Tree and the pool and outdoor bath had amazing views over a small bay.

Service:
From the start it was clear that Maia prides itself on service and each villa has it's own butler. He/she is there to service your room, cook your breakfast, bring you lunch, help with planning any trips/ activities and generally bring you anything you need. I noticed somoeone complained about it in a previous review but it's basically one person who does room service/ concierge / housekeeping so I cannot see what the problem is ... you would call for him in the same way you would call any of the above services and it's nicer to have a personal touch. Our butler decorated our room differently and made amazing floral displays and origami style leaf decorations in the outdoor bath.
Restaurant staff were great and remembered who you were and what drinks you had and what wines you liked. The only issue that either of us had was the butler was sometimes too keen to help out when sometimes you wanted to do things yourself or not have a bath (the butler will run you a bath every evening should you wish in the outdoor tubs.... filled with different oils/petals/bubble bath accompanied by champagne and canapes should you wish)

Food at Maia was amazing, again I think the poor review earlier was by someone who'd really been annoyed by some other guests (as would we have been). The menu does look a bit limited as there are 4 or 5 cuisines each with 3 or 4 dishes but as they tell you in the menu and when you arrive if you want something else cooked then if you give them enough notice they will make it for you. My wife has a habit of doing this even when it's not offered so it was quite nice for her to be able to order slightly different dishes to what was on offer in the menu.

Spa:
The room came with too many massages and pedicures i don't think we used them all. I didn't go but my wife was very impressed by it .

All in all Maia was an amazing experience, and would definitely recommend it to others.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 5, 2010

The Maia offered a perfect mix of everything which makes a vacation a total success. The location of my villa on top of the hill, offering sweeping views of the ocean and a nearby peninsual, combined with all creature comforts, a dedicated staff available at an instant's notice - and if wanted 24/7 - and food which tickled my taste buds and melted in my mouth, what else can one wish for. The Spa treatment was 'the best this side of Africa' I had so far, compared with the amateur jobs I was subjected to at many other resorts or hotels in the past. Top marks and very very highly recommended.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled solo
4  Thank Safariafficionado
Reviewed November 23, 2009

This is going to be an honest review after a gastly start to the last leg of our honeymoon. On arrival the staff had no idea who we werer or why we werer there despite hving booked the 7 day stay 6 months in advance. The staff hustled when they realised who we were - yes a honeymoon couple just arrived from S. Africa and the time was midnight, we arrived on the only weeekly flight from joberg. Now what the staff were trying to cover up was a party of over 30 "ladies" with a bunch of rich arabs - royalty from one of the arab states who had just arrived the day before. Frankly the last thing my wife and i wanetd to see were those sorts of "ladies" - not leaset 3 to a man partying in what was meant to be one of the most luxurious, private and excluisive romatic resorts in the seychelles. Nontheless - the staff rallyed - they tried to apologise for their administration mistake that had us arriving the following day - however NO flights from Joberg arrived the following day - the flight schedule had changed - i guess this showed the slight lack of any organisation.
We got checked into our magnificient room and suite by 1am and we fell asleep - the room, bed, sheets, 2 pools etc cant be faulted. In the morning the 2 or 3 managers plus our butler arrived to try and make up for the fiasco from the night before - they told us they dont normally have those types of guests but the Arabs are very good clients and they have them segregated in a separate part of the hotel complex so no guests would normally see the "party". In fact the manager did make up for it and paid for a private charter boat for the day for just my wife and i - our butler couldnt have been friendlier - although to be honest i found it a pain having to call for him every time we needed something, and the mimi bar was badly stocked and very expensive.
The beach and ocean uinfron of the hotel is nice, lots of sea life but not nearly as beautiful as other places we visited in Le Digne and Praslin. Overall i actually left Maia feeling slightly ripped off and disapointed, i wish we had staying on Praslin or gone the full distance and stayed on one of the more remote islands. Mahe just isnt that attractive, and Maia has the most amazing Spa, and the rooms are great but honestly thats about it. The food isnt that special, and the restaurant is limited, and the pool next to the main restarant just isnt private enough to relax as its opposite the only restaurant. One more thing - all food in the rooms has to be cooked in the kitchen then carted up to the room on a golf cart so by the time you sit down to eat it was often cold or not good.
Do yourself a favor and dont waste yoru money on this hotel - it promises alot and doesnt deliver

14  Thank pintamacha
Reviewed April 3, 2009

We were hesitating between, Banyan Tree, Four Seasons and Maia...Our travel agent convinced us to go for Maia and he was right!
We had an incredible week, the villas are superb, the service is the best we ever had...Even Peninsula or Four Seasons can't compete...Our Butler was just incredible, After half an hour she knew us so well...The food is terrific, they have 4 chefs and you can get any kind of food at any time of the day or the night...We had a dinner on the beach, just two of us, we had a great barbecue in our villa and we had a Thai food experience, prepared by a Thai chef of course...On the fourth day we went fishing and came back with a tuna...Two hours later we had it on sashimi and grilled on the barbecue!
We staid at the same time as the Prime minister of Qatar, but the resort is done in such a way that we never noticed anything and never saw anybody... Questioning the french general manager, he explained me they were 230 staffs for 30 villas...no wonder then!

We went for a drink at the Four Seasons, thanks god we haven't been there...It's still a construction site, all the villas are very closed from each other, you don't have any privacy, and the staff were pretty rude...we asked to visist a villa but they answered it was not possible...Now we understand why it is so much cheaper than Maia...

I almost forgot to talk about the Spa, my wife had a Caviar treatment and she loved it, I had a signature massage every day and once more it was the best massages I ever received...

I hope that Maia will be able to keep its very special secret on how to deliver such excellent and special service as we are already planing to go back on our next break!

3  Thank CraigBruxelles
Reviewed March 29, 2009

My partner & I recently had the privilege of experiencing this incredible interpretation of 'luxurious getaway'. I am consciously avoiding the terms ‘hotel’ and ‘resort’ as nouns to describe Maia, because it is neither. It is a unique, indulgent experience with superb service, unrivalled privacy and astounding natural beauty. I have the utmost regard for the people behind this progressive holiday concept and commend them for this fresh, sumptuous and detail-driven experience.

But before I continue lavishing compliments on this piece of paradise, it is necessary to put things in perspective: I design hotels for a living and have designed for Starwood, Four Seasons and Radisson amongst others. As such, I am directly involved with creating ‘luxury experiences’ as interpreted by reputed hotel operators. Nevertheless, Maia blew my mind.

The interior design - conceived and executed by Bill Bensley - is truly commendable. It is understated yet luxurious, simple yet respectful of the Seychelles experience, and casual enough not to be intimidating. A harmonious merge with nature combined with quiet extravagance. All the details have been taken care of: indulgent bathroom facilities, iPod docking station with integrated Bose sound system, concealed air conditioning, the best bed & linen you’ve ever experienced, etc etc etc. I can harp on about the details for another 500 characters but it is unnecessary – just trust me on this one.

At Maia you are assigned a personal butler that is at your disposal 24 hours per day. If I tell you that your butler has to attend compulsory yoga & meditation classes in the morning, you can certainly understand the tranquility & magic of the level of service. Our butler was Balinese: well trained, exceptionally attentive without being intrusive and a master on the ‘details’. What is really exceptional is the fact that your assigned butler is the only link you have with the hotel. There are no staff changes (i.e. an assortment of staff) and your butler is assigned to you for the duration of your stay. Whatever you need (no matter how trivial or bizarre), this person is highly trained to execute your eccentric needs.

I realize (after reading the other reviews on this site) that some people had a problem with their butler, and I can only offer the following advice: ask management to change your butler. Maia is all about service and I can guarantee you that they will go the extra mile to ensure that you land up with the best butler to suit your situation.

Sticking on the subject of other reviews on this resort, I have the following to say: there have been a lot of reviews questioning the ‘value for money’ aspect of Maia. Yes, it is expensive, but at the end of the day it is unrealistic to compare the Maia experience with something like the Banyan Tree in Seychelles. Maia equates to absolute personal indulgence and as such is worthy of the price tag that it carries. I, personally, do not feel ‘ripped off’ or ‘in need of resuscitation’ because of the bill (taking into consideration that fresh produce is flown in daily, the bathroom amenities are La Prairie, you are offered absolute privacy, your every whim is catered for, etc). I suggest that you go to Maia with the expectation that this is probably going to cost you more than you anticipated, but what is the real cost of an extraordinary experience at the end of the day? Would you rather stay somewhere cheaper and complain about all the details??

And this brings me to the point I am trying to make : don’t experience this superb destination from a middle-class, money-pinching point of view. You will only disappoint yourself. Rather throw all caution to the wind and reward yourself with a truly magnificent experience. This is one of the most exclusive and rewarding experiences of my life, and I can HIGHLY recommend it to somebody who wants the extraordinary. Be your own celebrity, rock star, nouveau riche Russian or Saudi Sheik. You deserve it. And you will be treated like one !

I have posted some photos of Maia along with this review, but would like to urge you not to judge the place based on my pictures. In my experience of the Seychelles it is rare to capture the true ambiance and breathtaking beauty of the place on a Sony digicam. It truly is a piece of paradise.

*INSIDER’S TIP* : Avoid Air Seychelles at all cost. Rather fly with Qatar and Emirates Airlines as they both fly to the Seychelles.

12  Thank JohnnyFiasco
Also consider these accommodations in or near Anse Louis
Hilton Seychelles Northolme Resort & Spa
Banyan Tree Seychelles
Le Meridien Fisherman's Cove
Coral Strand Smart Choice Hotel Seychelles
Four Seasons Resort Seychelles
Kempinski Seychelles Resort

Been to MAIA Luxury Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!