“Quiet Retreat” 4 of 5 bubbles

BayView Seychelles
Muscat, Oman
“Quiet Retreat”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

BayView Seychelles is situated in a peaceful, pretty bay. Helga and her staff are very helpful and friendly. The breakfast was very generous and delicious. The bed was very comfortable and the bathroom is huge with a beautiful big bath for two. The accommodation is sufficiently supplied for self-catering and is relaxing and comfortable. The furniture in the house is amazing. Thank you Helga for a lovely stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Diane L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Hodmezovasarhely, Hungary
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

We a Hungarian / Dutch couple, spent 11 nights at this resort.
We had a really fantastic time there.
Resort gives just what we wanted and even more than we expected! Helga, but also the entire staff was really nice and absolute "customer friendly". Helpfull, advising, and did their jobs with a smile. Our room had a balcony with a beautiful view over the Bay, spacious and well equipted bathroom and was well cleaned every day!
Breakfast was really rich and tasteful. Swimming pool, well situated and very clean as well.
Helga organized a rent car for us, was ready at the airport immediately when we landed.
To rent a car is advisible, specially if you want to see and enjoy more than only the swimming pool and the Bay, from this beautiful island Mahe. .Resort is very quiet and relaxing.
It was hard to say good bye and for sure, we will return!!!
Thanks Helga, Jeanette and colleagues!!
Marta & Giel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank giel h
Doha
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

I stayed at Bayview in May 2012 for a week with my husband and baby. I was alone with my 14 month old the first 3 days and my husband joined us.

At first, I stayed in the small room on the second floor when alone with baby. It was absolutely fine, not huge but really I didn't mind. It was clean, I had a tv with satellite channels and a nice bathroom. The staff provided me with a cot and my daughter was very happy there. We then went to a bigger suite on the same floor. We were happy there too.

The staff, starting with the owner, was absolutely fantastic. She has young children herself and was concerned about what my daughter was eating. She bought some special european yoghurts for her (probably quite expensive in Seychelles...) and made her home cooked purées with local veg. A very nice gesture. If I remember well, she never charged me for these extras but I might be wrong. This was hugely appreciated. The other girls were raving about our daughter and we thought about asking them to babysit once or twice.

Unfortunately breakfast was not incl in our booking, this was my mistake (don't book via the booking website but directly with the owner, it will be cheaper!), but we did get it almost every morning and loved it. Very rich with toasts, eggs, sausage/bacon, and tropical fruit. We also had diner there a couple of times, however I do recommend to eat out. There are couple of restaurants down the road.
The rest of the time, we would cook in the kitchen in the villa which I have to say was lacking a lot of things (the big and only downside of our stay there): we had to ask for pots, pans, washing up liquid, tea towels. Maybe we were just unlucky. They kindly offered to wash our dishes but it was a bit weird and they sometimes left it in the sink for a while.

The pool is not massive but it's very pleasant, and has a little baby corner, and the view is outstanding. There is no beach anymore but it doesn't matter as you WILL need a car anyway and it's just great to dive in the pool when you get home from another beach. Helga (the owner) will arrange car rental for you if you need (I think her option was slightly cheaper than the airport one and more convenient). If you want to be in a hotel with direct access to the beach and not have to bother about planning excursions, driving around etc, then of course you shouldn't stay there. But know that if you do pick this option, you will be very lucky to get a lot of help and advice from the staff.

Nothing is really cheap on this island, this is the big problem there and you can't blame it on hotels owners. This is something you must take into consideration before you decide to go to Seychelles. It's a bit of a contradiction but people seem to lead a very humble lifestyle there and there is a strong island feel. That's why I recommend the bed and breakfast experience over the resort one. You will sometimes feel a bit far out at Bayview, but that will push you to explore Mahe which is after all not that big anyway... They will really make you at home.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Toria B
Southampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2012

We stayed one night at the Bayview Seychelles before leaving for the airport. The location is excellent in being only about 20-30 mins from the airport and this villa is a nice treat before going home. It is located on a hill up a track and this makes it very peaceful and you can appreciate the bay view. Mahe is large island and a car is very useful to see the different beaches, and this villa a short drive away from nice beaches.

The villa itself is very beautiful and unusual and feels more like being in your own exclusive villa than in a hotel. The common areas are tastefully decorated and ample places to sit and relax. (Even though it's not a self-catering villa so you can't use the kitchen unless you booked the entire villa or one of the floors.) The rooms are all large with huge bathrooms and walk in showers.

However, be careful when you book the rooms through the agency, there is some confusing descriptions of the rooms - we weren't sure we got the room we booked. We booked a "Deluxe Seaview with Terrace", which to us meant a seaview directly in front of the room and a terrace attached to room. The photo corresponding to this room description on the agency website showed a room with french doors leading to a terrace with views, which is what we were hoping to get. However, what we got was mainly a view of the part of the building and the sea could only be viewed by pressing your nose against the window and looking into the distance at the left. There was no terrace attached to the room, and to get to the terrace you need to walk through the communal area, and it also could be used by other guests (but you could be lucky and have it to yourself). It should have description more like "side sea views with shared terrace" which would be more accurate.

Upstairs the villa has 3 rooms, 2 of which have sea views directly ahead, one (ours) doesn't. The main terrace runs along one side of the building and then carries on round a corner. The part of the terrace which is around the corner is more enclosed so could be classified as more private than the main part and this corner terrace is attached to the room "Deluxe Suite Seaview with Private Terrace" (photos with 4 poster bed). The main more open part of the terrace has only one table and chairs around it, but these are by the french doors leading to the common area. At the far end of the terrace is a siting area but no table, and is outside the other sea view room "Junior Suite with Terrace". So the table and chairs can be used by all 3 upstairs rooms (first come, first serve).

We did very much enjoy our stay at Bayview Seychelles and do recommend it as a very pleasant stay. Helga was also very helpful and friendly, giving us recommendations for a day trip and beaches nearby.

Room Tip: Please take careful note of the room descriptions in agency websites when choosing your room, as exp...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Tim M
Dubai
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2012

We stayed in the self catering apartment over the pool terrace. The view from the bedroom and the terrace where the dining table is is gorgeous. We loved looking at it.
The location is good as long as you have a car. It is very easy to acces some beautiful beaches via car, a little further down the coast on the west coast, we loved anse gouverment and anse intendance.
Helga organised car hire for us to meet us at the airport and drive us to the villa for 40euro a day.

There were a few hiccups when we arrived at 8am as the room was not ready, we went out until 1pm but when we came back it had not even been touched so we had to wait for it to be made up until 2. They knew we were waiting and Helga had assured me on email we would not have to wait until 2pm so this was very strange. Same thing happened the next day when we returned at 3pm the room had not been serviced but after that no more problems.

A few things in the room that could be improved:
There were a few switches hanging off in the bathroom and the bathroom tap was so wobbly I was scared I'd pull it off! Easy things to fix.
Our biggest gripe was the bed. It was so rock hard. We like a firm mattress but this was not firm, there was no support there it was like sleeping on a rock! My husband was coming down with a cold and was getting achy and the bed was so uncomfortable he slept in the sitting room. Please replace the mattress Helga!

Another note I spent ages deliberating between bayview seychelles and bay view villa before we came, and when we arrived I saw they are next to each other so will have the same view! No need for long deliberations, I thought they were at different parts of the island!

All in all it was a great base to explore mahe from and the view really is as good as the pictures.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank agathaDubai
Doha, Qatar
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2012

We stayed at Bayview Seychelles from 21st September for one week. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and all the staff were fantastic!
We arrived at about 8.30am to find that our room wasn't yet available, this was actually our mistake - we hadn't read the information correctly which clearly stated that check in was at 2pm. Despite it being our mistake, we were made to feel very welcome and offered breakfast whilst we waited for our room. Our hire car was being dropped off a little later in the morning so we asked if there was somewhere we could change out of our travelling clothes in order to venture out. Helga made us a proposition, that we could have an upgraded room immediately but sadly couldn’t stay in it for our entire trip as it was booked out part way through the week, at which point we’d have to move into our original room. We immediately accepted and were extremely grateful of the thoughtful offer.

Breakfast everyday was lovely, fresh fruit, tea/coffee, toast and jams, bacon and eggs if you wanted it. We were set up for the day each morning and I particularly enjoyed the papaya jam! One morning I enquired where I might be able to buy some from but was disappointed to learn that it was homemade and not available in any shop! Upon our departure I was presented with a lovely gift – my own jar of papaya jam to bring home (I was nearly parted from it at security as it was packed in my hand luggage but thankfully I managed to hang on to it!). Sadly it has all gone now but I was reminded of our holiday whenever I had some for my breakfast.

The staff were all extremely friendly and nothing was too much trouble. I asked for an extra pillow as I was having trouble sleeping and one arrived immediately, my husband went looking for ice and one of the staff then ensured there was always a supply in the freezer for us. On our last day we were let down when our day trip snorkelling was cancelled at the last minute, Helga assisted us in finding an alternative and rang around until she found one. She also arranged a taxi for us as our hire car had been returned by then.

Other posts mention about the location and the distance to shops etc. in reality you would be best with a hire car no matter where you stayed in the Seychelles. Everything is quite spread out and I doubt that you could really explore the island without a car, this isn’t anything specifically to do with Bayview, and I suspect you would have the same experience where ever you stayed.

We had everything we needed, both rooms we stayed in were clean and well presented, so too were the communal areas and the lounge, kitchen areas had everything you would need should you choose to use them.
We don’t tend to return to the same place twice, there’s still so much of the world to see, but I wouldn’t have any hesitation in recommending Bayview Seychelles!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lause3
Szczecin, Poland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2012

Me and my husband stay there one week, and was to long, place was nice, room bit scary, it's far to all shops and there is no beach at all, as it says on their page.
It's good for older people to stay there and relax.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
DoubleTree by Hilton Seychelles Allamanda Resort & Spa
Hilton Seychelles Northolme Resort & Spa
Berjaya Beau Vallon Bay Resort & Casino - Seychelles
AVANI Seychelles Barbarons Resort & Spa

Been to BayView Seychelles? Share your experiences!