My wife and I stayed here for 3 nights. We arrived @ about 1:15 pm and were told check in was not till 3:00. Fair enough, we took a nice long walk around the property and then snoozed in the lobby for awhile. The lobby is absolutely gorgeous, with incredible views of the Chagres river and the rainforest. We were given room 201, we asked if we could get a room higher up. "Sure, we can give you a room one floor higher, but you'll have to wait till 5:00." We actually found room 201 to be perfect for viewing the wildlife. There were flowering bushes/trees @ balcony level which were visited by many varieties of beautiful birds and also numerous hummingbirds. Just below on the ground we had many visits from the local wildlife. The room smelled quite bad to the point that after one night I was going to ask to be switched. We mentioned this problem to the receptionist in the morning. She told us all the rooms smelled because of the high humidity in the rain forest. They put a dehumidifier in the room and the problem was solved. The room itself was a little tired, but fine for a rain forest retreat. We were there for the wildlife and the beautiful views, which couldn't be beat. We did go in the pool a few times and found it very nice. At all times there was at most 1 other couple in the pool with us. It was like having a private pool. Now one of the most important things I well mention hoping that the hotel reads this review. To get to all of the lower rooms by us you have to walk down a series of ramps, which are INCREDIBLY slippery when wet. They look like they need to be repainted and they should be repainted with some type of anti-slip paint. (my wife & I are both in great shape with good sense of balance and almost went down several times.) We booked our entire vacation thru Panama Luxury Tours (1-800-237-3213) Our extremely helpful rep. Parmelee Miller set up our visit at Gamboa so that breakfast and dinner was included which was great. We found the food to be very good. Usually my wife and I will always leave a tip after eating, even in places where the tip is already included. (as in an all inclusive resort). This was the ONLY place in our 11 days in Panama where we left no tips. There was simply no connection with any of the people waiting tables. All you have to do is give a little smile and pretend you care, it simply didn't happen. Why did I give 4 stars instead of 3? Because all in all we did have a great time, and would do it again. Most of the staff were very helpful and friendly especially at the reception desk.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Deep in the heart of the Panamanian rainforest lies the completely unique Gamboa Rainforest Resort. This magnificent destination rests where the scenic Chagres River meets the Panama Canal and is the only resort property in the area. Few places on earth offer such an amazing natural experience while providing an unsurpassed level of luxury. Escape the noise and hectic pace of everyday life and surround yourself with the tranquility of the mystical Soberania National Forest. Here, just a short 30-minute ride from Panama City, on 340 acres overlooking the stunning Panama Canal, you can commune with nature in a pristine environment where explorers and pirates once tread. Our Panama Tours offer an exhilarating variety of jungle adventures such as an aerial tram, guided boat tours, fishing expeditions, and much more. Our tours are designed to show you wildlife in its natural setting amidst the colorful splendor of the jungle flora. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Travelocity, getaroom.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, HotelQuickly, Cancelon, TripOnline SA and Evoline ltd so you can book your Gamboa Rainforest Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gamboa Rainforest Hotel Gamboa
- Gamboa Rain Forest Resort