Gamboa Rainforest Resort
TripAdvisor
1,874 results
All reviewschagres rivermonkey bartour deskaerial trampanama canalmonkey island tourpool barcaravan tourgift shophammock on the balconyall inclusive packagenight tourorchid gardenfree nightrainy seasonriver viewembera indian village
Reviewed April 17, 2008

Lets start with we had a great time at this resort in Panama!! The rain forest is one thing to see in a lifetime. The staff and food were excellent for central america standards. The tours we took were all very good and educating. The indian village tour stands out among the others and is a must see to learn how they lived and still do live without many of modern day stuff. The sights and sounds you here and see from the rain forest to us was something that we had never exerienced. The weather was great and it only rained 2 times, once in the morning and one afternoon for 2 hours. Mid to upper 80s in the day and 70s at night.

• Stayed: April 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed April 15, 2008

Myself and my husband just got back to California. We went along with a large group from work.
This was by far the worst experience we had! We have many travels under out belt (Far east, middle eat, Italy, France etc...)as we love exploring new places and cultures.

The rooms were in very bad condition in fact the entire hotel is poorly maintained. You can see the leaks in the plumbing system as it is completely exposed. The hotel spares no efforts in trying to control the amount of bugs and "creepy crawlers".

Our room was not cleaned one day at all - they forgot!
Another day it was cleaned however no towels or soap or toiletries was available in the room.

And don't get me started about the service! Our group of 120 people all came to one conclusion: they simply DO NOT CARE - and it isn't the staff's fault - management doesn't care either!

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone!

The only things we enjoyed was the tours and scenery - there is no doubt the forest/jungle was breathtaking!

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed April 13, 2008

I just got back from the Gamboa Resort, and I too would say save your money. The service was terrible, the food was repetitive and boring. The staff did not care about you and took their time if they bothered to come back to you at all. I was on an all inclusive trip. It was terrible, the beer was not cold, the drinks were from a mix; i.e., margaritas, and they did not wait on you. You actually had to practically beg them to get a drink. I am from the USA and speak very little Spanish. On the flip they barely spoke English. I would think they would be more fluent in the English language seeing as when I was there, it was 90% Americans. There were two of us in the room and received two bath towels and on face cloth. Panama is very hot and humid. You will definitely need more than one shower a day. The tours were good. The rainforest, monkey island, and the canal. I would not recommend this to anyone. I was hoping for a better experience in Panama.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 13, 2008

They boast being a "5STAR" hotel! More than anything your staff makes you a 5 star hotel and their staff is TERRIBLE. It seems as though NO is their favorite word. I was told I could get change for the phone at the front desk, but when I Inquired they told me they had none without looking and sent me to the tour desk. The tour desk looked but had none and I was sent to the gift shop where I am sure they would have sent me somewhere else if not for a manager standing there. The food is so so and takes forever after you order. If you do find something you like chances are the next time you order it, it will be competely different. They are always out of something you had the day before or that morning, They will not look or ask anyone if there is any more just "NO" again. The main bar MONKEY BAR is filthy dirty. I mean the bar itself, old drink straws, peanuts, food crums where there the whole time we where there. The room was clean the day we arrived but daily the room was not cleaned well. The pool was nice. But not enough chairs and the pool bar was always running out of something and that was it for the day they would not restock. NO again. The tours are o.k. but over priced except the fishing, and the marina staff was much better. All in all Stay away and spend your money somewhere else they do not earn or deserve it

• Stayed: April 2008
Reviewed April 11, 2008

I just came back from the Gamboa Rainforest Resort in Panama from my best friends wedding... and let me just say I am glad to be out of there. First off, the hotel is WAY overpriced. I payed $200.00 a night for a primitive hotel room that had a single window unit to cool off the insane heat, no insulation, broken windows, and as an added bonus bugs! Bugs that were menacing that I could not even identify. They encourage you not to kill any of the bugs that come to "visit" your suite however I don't see what else can be done when hornets are hovering in your room waiting for you to fall asleep. The service was terrible, their staff was completely apathetic they did not care about anything, see the mentality here is that this area is very beautiful but VERY isolated. They have you... you have no where to go (you are an hour away from any type of civilization) so they have this attitude that they can treat you like crap because where else can you go? Same mentality for the restaurants I payed $50.00 for a Shoney's breakfast buffet and the service again was horrible. Our party attempted to complain however the manager simply did not give a damn. Seriously, as a fellow latin american from Mexico I am ashamed to call myself Latin because these people are truly a-holes. I am no stranger to traveling Latin America and unfortunately these people were the worst. I am not the type of person to complain about anything... but this just took the cake... STAY AWAY from the Gamboa resort.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with friends