This is a beautiful place, regardless that it is not sitting on a sandy beach! The location is the middle of the rainforest, on the Panama Canal. A few note: this is for those who love nature, heat and humidity, and lush greenery. If so, then you will love this place. First and foremost, is the presence of nature, the minute you set foot on the grounds. It is all around, from odd mammals to snakes, crocodiles, lizards, frogs, monkeys, hummingbirds, parrots, harpie eagles (yes - I spotted a young one by the resort!), anteaters, coatamundis, and countless other animals. And there is also a cultural side, the indians that still reside in the area, with their unusual and beautiful artwork, which they display on the grounds as well. The hotel is not brand new, but the main building is quite comfortable. We could not stay in the bungalows (where the canal-builders resided way back) due to the dampness and moldiness. The restaurant was very good, especially the Sunday brunch (to die for!) The food was healthy. There are many opportunities to take excursions to see nature, Panama City (suggested! it is beautiful!), and see the grounds at night. It takes your breath away - to see a real anteater on a tree nearby, with it's luscious fur and delicate nature. And sloths are terrific swimmers! The Smithsonian island (research center) was also very interesting, but you need clearance to visit there. I found this type of vacation, where the predominant color was green, to be VERY refreshing and relaxing. And I love wildlife, so this was a plus! We didn't miss the beach at all! And don't forget to bring a camera and binoculars, if you have some. They come in handy. A nice vacation getaway - which will work for a few days, as well as a week or more!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Deep in the heart of the Panamanian rainforest lies the completely unique Gamboa Rainforest Resort. This magnificent destination rests where the scenic Chagres River meets the Panama Canal and is the only resort property in the area. Few places on earth offer such an amazing natural experience while providing an unsurpassed level of luxury. Escape the noise and hectic pace of everyday life and surround yourself with the tranquility of the mystical Soberania National Forest. Here, just a short 30-minute ride from Panama City, on 340 acres overlooking the stunning Panama Canal, you can commune with nature in a pristine environment where explorers and pirates once tread. Our Panama Tours offer an exhilarating variety of jungle adventures such as an aerial tram, guided boat tours, fishing expeditions, and much more. Our tours are designed to show you wildlife in its natural setting amidst the colorful splendor of the jungle flora. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Priceline, Expedia and Booking.com so you can book your Gamboa Rainforest Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gamboa Rainforest Hotel Gamboa
- Gamboa Rain Forest Resort