“The Best of Panama!!!”

Jungle Land Panama: Day Excursions
Ranked #1 of 17 things to do in Gamboa
More attraction details
Owner description: We offer the best day tours on the Panama Canal. Our tours showcase the flora, fauna, and the Canal operations. For a very unique experience we operate the only floating lodge on the Panama Canal. Don't just visit the Canal "LIVE IT!"
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities
callao, virginia, USA
“The Best of Panama!!!”
Reviewed March 4, 2011

I have been on this tour twice. As a former resident of Panama, I cana truly say that Captain Carls' tour captures the beauty and flavor of Panama. For my friends that accompanied me it was an introduction to the mysteries of the jungle flora and fauna, the canal, and the native food.

When I return to Panama, I will go on this tour again...and bring all my friends and familly! Thank you, Captain Carl.

Trudi Bailey, Virginia, USA

Visited April 2010

• Finnish first
Rosamond, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“This trip captured the essence of Panama and the Canal.”
Reviewed February 14, 2011

The highlight of our 10 day trip to Panama was an overnight stay in a rustic houseboat on a secluded cove on Lake Gatun. This was the real deal. The wildlife extravaganza included feeding monkeys, handling a boa, watching a crocodile swim by, toucans in the top of trees, iguanas, and parrots. (We had no mosquito bites, if that's a concern.) We were able to go to several waterfalls with deep pools for swimming and jumping. There were bright pink orchids blooming over those pristine pools. They have kayaks and canoes for paddling, fishing, hammocks for lounging, and awesome food served on top of a banana leaf. On our last morning a day group joined us. They had motored around the lake in covered tour boats before arriving at the houseboat. In addition to folks who live in Panama, the group included families from Texas, university students from Pennsylvania, young ladies traveling from Argentina, and Aussies from the embassy. In the late afternoon, we raced back across the lake to the Gamboa boat ramp in the two tour boats. My brother has been in Panama for 25 years, which is how we found out about this jungle cruise. He pointed out that lots of places have tropical beaches, but there's only one Panama Canal and this was the way to truly savor that uniqueness. It is absolutely worth the time and effort to join the day tour, but the evening sunset and overnight with the stars is just spectacular. It is off the beaten path, but those who are looking for this type of experience will be extremely satisfied. Captain Carl was the perfect host to entertain and educate simultaneously. Definitely a 5 star experience.

Visited December 2010
Memphis, Tennessee
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Panama Canal and Jungle Tour- Don't Miss It!”
Reviewed February 8, 2011

If you want to experience an unforgettable boat tour along the jungle bordering the Panama Canal, take the Gatun Explorer and see all kinds of wildlife such as many different kinds of monkeys as well as a few crocodiles among others. This was my fourth visit to Panama in the last few years and I don’t miss the opportunity to take in the unforgettable vista of the canal and passing container and other ships while boating along the neighboring jungle and being educated by Capt Carl about the wildlife, vegetation and jungle environment. We always enjoy a wonderful lunch aboard the floating lodge set back deep in a small bay in the jungle with the opportunity of doing some swimming and kayaking as well. Be sure to consider not just a day trip but spending the night in one of the cabins. An evening on the Gatun Explorer in the middle of the jungle is a wonderful event to remember.

Visited January 2011
1 Thank Bart250
Brooklyn, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Simply Amazing!! :)) A highlite of our trip to Panama!!”
Reviewed January 30, 2011

I can not say enough good things about our overnite Safari Tour w/ Capt Carl at Gatun Explorer & the Floating Lodge. My Boyfriend and I were there a few weeks ago and had the time of our lives!! Capt Carl is a doll!! Charismatic, witty, and full of information. Well worth every penny!!
Our tour began with a Canal Day Tour that met at the main dock in Gamboa area. There were two boats filled w/ people which Capt Carl headed. Along our journey up the canal he was full of facts about points of interest along the way. Very interesting indeed but it gets better...Much better!!
We stopped at one point at the monkey islands where we were given peanuts to feed the monkeys who then come down from the trees. How exciting and full of photo opportunities!! We then stopped again across from the Floating Lodge to feed a different type of monkeys. This time we were given bananas.
When we arrived at the lodge we were shown our room. Apparently we were the only ones staying for the overnite and were thrilled that we would have the place to our selves once the afternoon activities were over....My advice..Spend the extra money and stay the nite!! You'll understand why after you read this!! ...Keeping in mind if you're the type of person that's into the 4 star hotel then this wouldn't be for you.
The lodge itself sits in the middle of marsh like vegetation w/ water all around. As a city girl I was in heaven!! It was so beautiful and tranquil a place. A once in a lifetime experience for sure!! (hopefully not in our case, as I'm sure we will be going back!!) It was a two story construction that seemed to be built of of a large boat. Upstairs were tables and hammocks for everyone to enjoy. There was also a toucan named BoBo, a parrot named Lorenza, and a few large green iguanas. In addition he had a couple small alligators and a large snake if you were brave enough to take photos with.
So when we got to the floating lodge we had an opportunity to jump off from the upper level into the water and go for a refreshing swim. I swam but didn't jump as others had done...We then had time to chill out and have beverages and were served a very tasty Panamanian lunch...From there we all got into kayaks and were taken to a lovely waterfall w/ a swimming hole. All I can say is Wow!! Everyone was jumping of the waterfall and going for a swim. How fun is that!! Again I didn't jump, just swam. After a while we kayaked back to the lodge -which btw was amazing in itself -and had time for a cocktail and photos before the majority of people then head back to the main dock in the late afternoon.
Yippie!! Now we had the place to ourselves and Carl was gracious enough to even bring us to another "special" waterfall where he created a small sand bank, brought chairs and we all had a drink and chatted. This time I did jump off the water fall, three times in fact, and my BF finally went for a dip. When darkness had fallen we returned back to the lodge, had dinner, chatted a while then back out on the boat to look for things that go bump in the nite!! I was scared out of my wits but thrilled at the same time since we were in pitch blackness aside from the lite he was shining. We looked for alligators and did see some from the distance but much to my relief didn't get to see any close up since they scooted away. When we finally made it back to the lodge we were tuckered and ready for bed. How nice it was to see so many stars and listen to the sound of howler monkeys as we drifted off to sleep.
In the morning I was up before dawn (to make the most of things) showered had coffee and we were ready to do some more kayaking. I can't describe how it felt to wake up in a place as lovely as this!! This time we kayaked alone and it was just amazing!! We found our way to the 1st waterfall and had a little dip before returning back to the lodge. Normally you would've been given breakfast but we decided to just eat some snacks on the run to get the most time on the kayaks. When we returned -much to our disappointment- we gathered up our things and were taken back to the main dock area w/ Capt Carl.
We are so happy that we did this overnite safari tour!! It really was a highlite of our trip and that says a lot considering how beautiful all of Panama is. I whole heartedly reccomend this--you will not be disappointed!!
Thank you Capt Carl and staff for showing us such a wonderful time!! :))

Visited January 2011