“If I Only knew.”

Jungle Land Panama: Day Excursions
Ranked #1 of 18 things to do in Gamboa
More attraction details
Owner description: We offer the best day tours on the Panama Canal. Our tours showcase the flora, fauna, and the Canal operations. For a very unique experience we operate the only floating lodge on the Panama Canal. Don't just visit the Canal "LIVE IT!"
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed January 20, 2014

If I had known that this experience would have resulted in my husband and I seeing wild animals in poor kept conditions, I would have forgone going on this very expensive day trip. The cage is too small for the Toucan, which by the way is my favorite bird and should not be caged, the baby Crocodile is kept in a small plastic box with very little water and no vegetation as for the Boa constrictor the conditions are just as disgusting, with no tree or rocks to climb up or slither under.
It breaks my heart to see animals kept in such conditions, moving on to the barge. It is disgustingly dirty and not kept up to a reasonable condition. I managed to peak into the kitchen and was shocked at how unhygienic it was. Panamanian food is not known for flavor and as is all food in Central America was just ok and eatable, but nothing to write home about. I will say that having seen the Kitchen really put me off my meal and I forced myself to eat because it was a long day. As for the Captain. I did not like his appearance, his interaction with the guests especially the women. He seemed to like to belittle the female gender, and if I wanted to be treated in such a fashion I would have stayed married to my ex husband! DO NOT GO ON THIS EXCURTION SAVE YOUR MONEY AND GO ON A SIMILAR TOUR WITH A PROFESIONAL COMPANY THAT NOT ONLY KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE DOING OR TALKING ABOUT BUT ALSO SEEM SOBER AND DO NOT TALK DOWN TO THEIR FEMALE GUESTS.

8  Thank Ians5541
junglelandpanama, Owner at Jungle Land Panama: Day Excursions, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2014

Something smells funny here. We have seen a very similar review just resently. It must had been a very busy day in the kitchen with my cooks plateing food and numerous guests doing a health inspection. As a mater of fact we do have regular health inspections and pest control.
I do agree that Central American cruisine may be bland at times. What we serve is a fusion of local fare geared towards a foriegn palate. I see so many of my guests take pictures of the plate before they clear it. May a suggest McDonalds in the future.
Back to my pets. I found both of my birds in local bars. They were being kept in cages that were too small. Upon paying my bar tab I bought them and carried them back to my home in the forest. I would love to let them roam free, but more than once we have rescued them from in water landings. The small croc is for educational purpose. How often do you get the chance to hold an animal that grows to almost 20 feet long? After a couple of years of show and tell we release them into the wild. They have a better chance of survival than when we first collect them. In the wild it is estimated that only 2% survive to the age of adult.
I accept the fact that Im not as attractive as when I was a young scuba instructor working on cruise ships. I didnt realize that people choose their tours based on the looks of the guide. Maybe I should shave more often.
I did enjoy the part about the former husband. I wonder what his side of the story is. During my tour I do make jokes about many things but not the guests.
All tours are not for all people. Please read the comments carefully. If you are too serious and have no sense of humor this is not the tour for you.

Happy Times!

Captain Carl

Reviewed January 15, 2014

My husband and I just returned from our day tour to Gatun Lake with Jungleland tours. It truly is a multi-age trip. We enjoyed the kayaking and swimming under the falls, and the two young boys on the tour seemed to enjoy it even more. Very relaxed, a somewhat 'corny' commentary by Captain Carl, and a basic Panamanian lunch, but definitely worth every cent!

2  Thank Marilyn M
Reviewed January 14, 2014

We had a great day with Captain Carl touring Gatun Lake, feeding the monkeys, kayaking, and relaxing on the floating house! We got to see and feed several different types of monkeys while out on Gatun Lake. We enjoyed seeing the construction of the widening and deepening of the lake so that the larger ships would have an easier time of passing through. It was surreal to be in such a small boat with the huge ships so close to us. It was really cool when it looked like we had come to a closed off alcove only to discover a tiny boat path through the vines and branches that took us to the lagoon with the floating house. At the floating house, we were fed a delicious typical Panamanian lunch. After lunch, we chose to go on the kayak tour to a waterfall. Neither my husband, daughter, nor I had ever kayaked before. They had a 3 person kayak that we used. Being complete novices, we found it difficult at times and steered ourselves into the very lush and DENSE vegetation that was growing on both sides of the very narrow pathway. We did eventually make it to the beautiful waterfall and enjoyed watching some of the others jump from the top of the waterfall into the lagoon below. On the return trip, my family did end up flipping our kayak after coming into contact with a tree and its very low branches. The scariest part was not knowing what wildlife was in the water with us! We received lots of help from the others that were on the kayak tour with us, and we safely made it back into the kayak. We did make it back to the floating house with no other incidents. A big Thanks to those that helped us when we needed it!!!

3  Thank SBBinMcK
Reviewed January 10, 2014

This was our 23 year old son's comment as we swept away the vines and branches and entered the lagoon and saw the house boat. If you travel the canal and this is the only other thing you do you will leave Panama extremely thrilled with your experience. (Talked to some parents of older teens and they did another tour but were so very disappointed). Our 16 year old daughter and 19 year old son all said this was the real Panama that they wanted to see...(Mom and Dad thought the canal would be great!) By the time we finished our week in Panama we had swam in the canal, kayaked in the canal, boated on the canal several times, etc. This truly added to our CANAL expereince. Well worth every penny!!! Great pictures were immediately facebooked by the kids. We were picked up at our rental apartment which was great as this is the jungle and it is not always clear where you should go. There was nothing on this tour that the average person with good health and little or no experience could not do. Met some great families, grandparents and young adults all enjoying the day here. So... bring your watershoes, a towel, camera, sunscreen, your old shorts/T-shirt and your PJ's have a blast! Next time we are sleeping here! (Just like those other people said!)

Reviewed January 5, 2014

We went to Panama for adventure and Captain Carl delivered! We fed monkeys, kayaked in the rain forest and swam by a waterfall. The houseboat is amazing. Next time, we are sleeping there! I would be remiss if I forgot to mention the delicious lunch and beers for $1. Panama Travel Consultants put this on our itinerary and it was an excellent way to kick off our trip in Panama!

1  Thank akreuch