TripAdvisor

from $110.00
More Info
from $395.00
More Info
All reviews care and attention photography trip snail kites take pictures gatun lake pauline equipment 9north ecosystem photos visitors iguanas knowledge panama nature animals boat
Selected filters
Reviewed September 19, 2019 via mobile

I found this tour browsing TA, and I couldn’t have been luckier! I had the chance not only to see my favourite animals up-close, but also to take incredible pictures of them :D
Everything from pick up to drop off was perfect, and Andrew is one of the most knowledgeable people I’ve met; you don’t want to miss out this experience!
Thank you so much for everything to the whole crew!

Rich N, Owner at 9 North Panama, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2019

Hi Adele
Thank you.
Once again the Rainforest and weather didn't disappoint us and we got some amazing photos. Look forward to seeing you again next time you are in Panama. This time, you experienced the forest in the Green season. Next time it will be in the Dry season, when you will get to see an extraordinary array of flowers and water fowl.
See you soon.

Reviewed August 28, 2019 via mobile

My experience with Andrew for the Capture the moment tour was amazing. I really enjoyed the nature wildlife and just being able to take in all scenery while photographing the beauty of it.

Below are two photos I took while on the tour with Andrew at Gatun Lake, Panama. I would definitely recommend anyone for this tour especially those who are really into photography but also love to relax and see the beauty of what Nature, Rainforest has to give. Great for Family, solo, and couples.

Date of experience: August 2019
Rich N, Owner at 9 North Panama, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2019

Hi Michelle
Thank you. It was such a pleasure having you on the boat, and despite it supposed to be the wet season, we had perfect weather conditions again.
Look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed August 23, 2019 via mobile

It was wonderful. With this Canon camera and fantastic 600mm lens you will definitely shoot the most amazing photos even without experience. Andrew will tell you the important things about the camera and will give you tips and tricks.
Thank you Andrew and Captain Hawkeye.

Rich N, Owner at 9 North Panama, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2019

Hi Freya
Thank you. Despite it supposed to be the wet season, once again the early morning weather was perfect, and we had a great tour.
All the best

Reviewed August 20, 2019

Our morning with Andrew and Johnny was the highlight of our trip to Panama. Thanks to Johnny’s eagle eyes (no pun intended), we got close-up photos of two iguanas, Capuchins and Tamarinds and several birds, including the rare Sungrebe. Andrew has immersed himself in learning about Panama’s flora and fauna and over our four-and-half hours together, gently shared his knowledge. His boat and cameras are set up to give the best photo experience, whether sailing beside massive ships in the Panama Canal or a tiny inlet off Gatun Lake. Andrew's passion for the environment has led him to eliminate plastic for guests. As a result, water is served in sterilized reusable bottles, as is his delicious pasta salad. Our picnic on the boat in a quiet inlet was a relaxing interlude on a memorable day. We pretty much had the place to ourselves since Andrew likes to get out on the water while most people are still sleeping! The payoff is worth the sleep sacrifice. We also took advantage of the driving service from Panama City recommended by Andrew. Our driver, Mayeli, is a wonderful person who got us to our destination safely, in comfort and a few minutes early. We look forward to repeating the entire experience another time.

Date of experience: August 2019

Hi Judy and Ian
Thank you for your very kind words. It was so good to meet and chat to you both, and hear about your interesting ventures and experiences.
I look forward to keeping in touch.
All the best

Reviewed July 21, 2019

Someone on Twitter told me this was the activity they enjoyed the most on their vacation in Panama. I'm so glad we booked this tour. We've been traveling the world for over 20 years now and I've grown tired of the "tourist hubs". I want to feel like I've experienced a place, not the crowds who are visiting it. This tour was perfect in that way. There are only a few boats in the world that offer this kind of experience.

The boat sits 4 people, the captain and Andrew (the owner) which was perfect for our family. We had rented a car so we decided to drive the 40 minutes from our hotel in downtown Panama City to the Gatun Lake dock. We were on the boat at 6:30 and headed up a portion of the Canal towards its estuaries. After 30 minutes we were alongside an island known for its monkeys and away we went. The cameras are set on auto, easy to manage and adjust. Andrew does a great job of adjusting the lighting as the day progresses. The monkeys were not shy and almost appeared to be posing for us. We moved on, taking pictures of a variety of birds, alligators and even an ant eater at the top of a tree. Yes, ant eaters in Panama climb trees. Andrew is very informed about the entire ecological system and it's obvious how much he loves doing these tours. We had a fantastic time and would highly recommend the tour to others. We rarely saw other people but when we did pull up to a Monkey Island tour I noticed they were trying to get a quick pic of a monkey with their phones, I have to admit I was really glad we had taken this tour instead, since we visited three island populated by monkeys. You will really feel immersed in the rainforest and no tour is alike. It's all dependent on the animals and plants.

I do recommend the 6:30 am tour. There's very few people around at that time, the animals are more active and it's not as hot. By noon we were starting to feel the heat. Make sure you wear a hat (it was bright when the sun came out), sunscreen and bug spray (although we had very few bugs).

Date of experience: July 2019
Rich N, Owner at 9 North Panama, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2019

Hi Monica
Thank you for such kind words. Once again the Rainforest put on a show for us, and its always wonderful to watch monkeys behave naturally in their natural envronment. You guys, in particular, your daughter, got some brilliant photos which I'm going to post on Instagram. We had as much fun as you did, and hope that we may see you again soon.