“Sand everywhere”
Review of Rubjerg Knude

Rubjerg Knude
Ranked #1 of 34 things to do in Lokken
Reviewed July 21, 2013

This was my first trip to North Jutland and I had very little idea of what to expect. My wife came here for childhood holidays and her main memory was of sand dunes. Rubjerg Knude was a great example of this. An eroding coastline which has seen houses and farms moved inland whilst others have been left to collapse in to the sea. An impressive amount of the lighthouse is still visible but it has to be wondered how much longer it has left. The dunes surrounding it were great for running and rolling down.

Most visitors arrive by car or bike and then walk the last section - it's a bit tiring for smaller kids but well worth the effort. In our case we had rented a summer cottage about 3km down the coast. It was therefore possible to use the official coastal path or the more unofficial one along the cliff top and through the dunes. As the cliffs have collapsed in sections the dunes are well back from the more dangerous drops so we felt safe taking our 5 year old along this route. If you're feeling brave then you can drive along the beach to the foot of the cliff below the lighthouse. The sand seemed quite solid and it's not as tidal as the UK. It gives a completely different view. Warning - it doesn't look safe enough to try an ascent / descent although I saw some tracks that suggested someone had tried. There is an exhibition back along the main road which cost about 50kr. The dunes and lighthouse are free.

There are newer reviews for Rubjerg Knude

Reviewed July 16, 2013

A lighthouse being eaten up by shifting sands and coastal erosion. It was worth getting there, and hiking our way to it. It was awfully windy and rainy, and yet, I'd do it again, even in the same conditions. I got some really nice photographs and very good memories from this little excursion.
If you're in this area, you should check it. There's a nice service area not many kilometers away.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

This is a great place to visit and take photos. The view over the North Sea is hard to beat. The erosion is noticeable and if you visit Denmark or live there, it is worth seeing more than once to see how it changes. I had not been there since 2005 so there were changes since my last visit.

Reviewed April 2, 2013

We have been here twice, in May and Sept. There is a parking area, and then you have to walk out to the sand dunes. Its not far, but it took us 1 hour to do the round trip dune climb (we were in a hurry, so I timed it). The sand has eroded and now covers much of the lighthouse, so its interesting to see how this happens and where the sand line used to be. having been to an area that is known for its sand dunes in Michigan, this was much less impressive.

Reviewed April 26, 2011

Hike to the top of this sand dune located near Lonstrup on the coast of northern Jutland. Great views and beautiful landscapes.

2  Thank Wanderfool44