“Friendly staff at a village pub”
Review of The Sugar Loaves

The Sugar Loaves
Dining options: Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Gary & Kim welcome you to the Sugar Loaves, situated within the picturesque Kentish village of Hollingbourne. Its location is just 5 mins away from the local village railway station and is also within walking distance of historic Leeds Castle, which is just over half a mile away.Available every day is a Fish & Chips take-a-way service, or take a look at our speciality food nights (Details can be found on the website)So if you're looking for a real Kentish Village Pub, serving traditionalAles and Wines, with a real large open fire.....Then come give us a visit.A warm atmosphere and family welcome awaits you.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We visited The Sugar Loaves having been to Leeds Castle. We had a couple of drinks and lunch which were reasonably priced and the portions were generous. The beer garden was lovely in the sunshine and Clare the barmaid was also very friendly!

Date of visit: September 2019
Write a reviewReviews (82)

Reviewed August 3, 2019 via mobile

So Hollingbourne, a beautiful village near Maidstone - a tad gentrified( lots of Chelsea tractors to seen) lovely, If now a bit worn gastro eateries, sharing chicken on a bread board that type of thing and then there is the Sugar Loaves! Now I was in the village to get my hair cut ( Paper Scissors Stone - chaps, great barbering experience by very skilled young lady in lovely barbers chairs- I recommend) and it was lunchtime and the Sugar loaves was - sort of - next door, and I had always been meaning to pop in, so good bits of the Guardian and the sport in the Mirror - I girded my loins - glass of pino, smoked chipotle nuts from the artisan jar, thought I !
Wrong diddily wrong diddily wrong wrong wrong -NO PROPER PUB- half a dozen proper blokes having a proper chin wag, a friendly dog , and a warm welcome from the bar keep ( female - very on trend)- no wall of silence as I walked in but a good morning and - alright ! Before resuming the chin wag- real ale choices ( exit Pinot stage left pursued by my boot)- a great pale ale purchased, I thought - bugger the nuts to and asked for the menu. De - light! proper Pub food, door stop sandwiches of cheese or warm beef, cheesy chips - and sausage and mash with peas!

My heart melted and I succame, freshly cooked, I think, by the landlord, three proper Lincolnshire sausages ( could have been locally though) - bloody lovely, they, deserve a bloody lovely, along with the proper whole grain mustard mash, gravy peas, proper gravy and onions- it was the very stuff of perfection/ chaps chatting in the bar proper food coming out- the dog prowling- sugar loaves thank you! You made a happy man- very happy

Date of visit: August 2019
Steve T, Manager at The Sugar Loaves, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2019

Thank you very much for what is probably the best and most heartfelt review We’ve ever had.

Regards
Steve

Reviewed July 1, 2019

The barmaid was extremely helpful when I stoped by because I was lost. She offered to call a cab and gave me directions to my hotel. She really seemed to care about my wellbeing.
I ended up going to this pub again later for dinner and the service was great! I highly recommend this pub if you’re nearby!

Date of visit: June 2019
Reviewed June 14, 2019 via mobile

Stopped for a drink and it was clear that this is locals pub, but the ten of us were made to feel welcome. Good priced drinks and a clean and tidy pub.

Date of visit: June 2019
Reviewed March 18, 2019

A good find. I know Hollingbourne well but moved away some years ago, since then this pub has been taken over and improved a lot.
Excellent food, good ale and really good value for money.
Very friendly and good service

Date of visit: March 2019