“Excellent service”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hollingbourne
Mortain
“Excellent service”
Reviewed December 10, 2013 via mobile

We overnighted here after bringing a new puppy from near Glasgow, en route for France. We were given a room which was a long way from the lift making it difficult to visit the puppy in the car during the night. We asked to change and a much more convenient one was provided without demur. The room was clean, comfortable and spacious, plenty of room for us and two labradors. We enjoyed an excellent, prompt and cheerfully served meal in the attractive restaurant.
I went to check on the puppy at 2am, all well, but at 3am reception rang to say the puppy was being noisy and may disturb other guests. The night crew were incredibly good humoured and helpful, looking after the puppy while we tidied up. We decided to check out and catch an earlier train and reception staff made this very easy for us, being supportive in a difficult time.
An ideal stop off on the way to the Channel crossings.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dominic D, General Manager at Mercure Maidstone Great Danes Hotel, responded to this review, December 12, 2013
Dear James I
Thank you very much for your positive review.
I am delighted you all enjoyed your visit and will be pleased to share your comments with all concerned. Congratulations on your new puppy. Have a happy and peaceful Christmas. Sincerely
Dominic

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 28, 2013

A pleasant hotel, which is good value but has a lot of potential. Staff are courteous and provide a good service. Food is more than reasonable, and there's both a fixed menu and full menu to choose from. I've stayed there a few times now and rooms are a generous size, although some of the bathrooms can be a bit narrow especially in the older part of the building.
One of the points that would up my rating by another star would be money spent on their gym. It used to be under the Sebastian Coe branding, however it's fallen short of the standard that you'd expect. Gym equipment is somewhat dated and needs a little due care and attention. If only the opening times were slightly longer, then I'd certainly make more use of it, and they'd have more people signing up as members.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room as these will be a lot better than their older rooms, but will cost sligh...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dominic D, General Manager at Mercure Maidstone Great Danes Hotel, responded to this review, November 29, 2013
Dear tasman 76
Thank you for your review. I am pleased you enjoyed your visit, the food and that the team looked after you. I have noted your other comments and look forward to welcome you back.
Sincerely, Dominic
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 28, 2013

I returned to the Mecure Hotel in Hollingbourne on a complimentary basis as my first stay was let down by the spa area. I have to say on my return the hotel staff, restaurant staff and room was excellent, we had the nicest waiter for our Sat eve meal and breakfast was scrumptious. My husband and I had the spa experience on Sunday and had a lovely massage (the best back massage I have had!). Unfortunately the steam room was not working and as the saunas are in the changing rooms we were unable to share some of the spa experience together. The hot drinks machine was not working and I asked the spa staff if they would be able to arrange a drink for which I would pay for, I was told no, they could not. I think to go that extra mile for customers would be helpful.

Room Tip: Hotel excellent, spa needs some work on, staff could be more attentive and and update.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dominic D, General Manager at Mercure Maidstone Great Danes Hotel, responded to this review, November 28, 2013
Dear Karen
Thank you very much for your review. I am pleased you enjoyed your return visit and appreciate your positive comments. Apologies about the coffee machine, a replacement is in hand but meanwhile we are offering fabulous Lavazza coffee from the brasserie. I will ensure the leisure team are clear about this. Thank you again. Sincerely
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 21, 2013

If your heading for the continent, or as in my case returning home, this is the perfect stopover before the tunnel.

Stayed here for a very enjoyable weekend break for Leeds Castle a number of years ago, and imp leased to say that under the Mercure brand that standards have been maintained.

Nice restaurant with very acceptable dinner and breakfast; very comfortable and functional room and very nice and competent staff all around.

If you have a little more time the grounds are very nice along with good leisure facilities. There is some distant traffic noise, but that's what makes it so handy for the traveller.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Dominic D, General Manager at Mercure Maidstone Great Danes Hotel, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Dear JOhn W
Thank you very much for your positive review. We look forward to welcoming you back. Regards Dominic
UK
Reviewed November 21, 2013 via mobile

Booked a 2 night stay with a deal that Mercure have running for 2 nights b and b and dinner on the first night. We combined this with a day trip through the Eurotunnel which is about 25 mins drive away.

For the price I wasn't expecting much but the room was comfortable with a good shower, there is a good sized swimming pool and the food was good quality. Staff were also helpful.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dominic D, General Manager at Mercure Maidstone Great Danes Hotel, responded to this review, November 22, 2013
Dear Graham
Delighted you enjoyed your visit and looks like you made the most of your time here too.
Hope to see you back again. Sincerely
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed November 21, 2013

I stayed here for work roughly four nights a week for 10 weeks. I really enjoyed my stays as the staff were incredibly helpful and got to know me and my preferences. The food was also good and the rooms very comfortable. Some rooms are still awaiting renovation but they do the job. The newer rooms are very nicely decorated with fresh bathrooms.

I made use of the pool and spa area which is a real pleasure after work.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dominic D, General Manager at Mercure Maidstone Great Danes Hotel, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Dear deewhyjoe
Thank you for your positive review. When a guest stays for a long period it really is good to hear how the team and the systems really stand up. I am delighted you enjoyed your time with us. There is no place like home but we genuinely try to make every stay a pleasant, hassle free experience. Our extensive leisure facilities are great to pass the time and relax too. Hope to welcome you back again soon. Best wishes
Dominic
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hollingbourne
Mercure Tunbridge Wells
Days Inn Maidstone
#14 of 15 in Maidstone
Bridgewood Manor - QHotels
Mercure Dartford Brands Hatch Hotel & Spa

Been to Mercure Maidstone Great Danes Hotel? Share your experiences!