“Outstanding”

Mercure Maidstone Great Danes Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hollingbourne
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Stayed here on 01 sept, booked through lastminute.com. We had a great stay and can say my wife and family were really impressed from the minute we walked into reception. Room was clean and well maintained, tv a little dated but worked. Bath was a little on the small side but plenty of towels and free toiletries.

Breakfast was well worth the price as I got it as part of the deal on booking the room, staff were very pleasant and helpful.

Would definitely stay here again - we were in room 104 and despite there been a wedding reception and a speed dating event on we had a cracking nights sleep with no noise or disruption to our stay.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Dominic D, General Manager at Mercure Maidstone Great Danes Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2013

Dear Simon_cocker
Thank you very much for your positive review.
I am delighted you enjoyed your visit and hope to welcome you back soon
Regards

Reviewed September 5, 2013

Took a friend to a spa overnight experience, in april, really welcoming staff the rooms were newly refurbished to a high standard, the spa area is a little tired and could do with updating but it was all very well maintained, the spa treatment staff were lovely and it was a most relaxing experience.
The dinner in the evening had a good choice and was tasty and hot, the breakfast was excellent and you are near enough to spend the next day at leeds castle, although we chose to go to Hever castle to round off the trip. I would recommend a stay here anytime.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Dominic D, General Manager at Mercure Maidstone Great Danes Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2013

Dear moplusthree
Thank you for your positive review. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Regards

Reviewed September 5, 2013

I stayed here 2 nights for a family wedding.

The Service:

I found all of the staff to be courteous, welcoming and helpful in all areas of the hotel.

The Rooms:

The only negative I can think of is that the room was very warm. The windows only open a certain amount due to safety and security.
Everything was clean (except, I found a few hairs in my bed sheets).
Bed & pillows were comfortable.
TV (with freeview) was a good size & easy to use.

The Restaurant:

The only criticism I have is with the breakfast buffet.
The plates were kept in a warmer, which in my opinion was irresponsibly hot. I burnt myself picking one of the plates up on the second morning. I also had to warn several children who were about to do the same thing. Also, they'd run out of some items from the cooked breakfast, and although it didn't take the kitchen staff too long to replace it, they didn't exactly seem to be in high spirits about being asked.
The food was always of good quality, a good temperature and tasty.

I had an evening meal in the restaurant on the first evening of my stay. The service was fantastic and the food was delicious!! Be prepared for the fact that it isn't very cheap though.. but it is worth the cost!

The staff at the bar are friendly and approachable.

The leisure facilities:

The swimming pool is good for families to have a play around in, but not suitable for people that wish to do a lot of swimming as it is quite small.

The Jacuzzi was out of order when I visited, which was a shame.

The sauna and steam room were nice, and maintained at a good temperature and standard of cleanliness.

The only criticism I have is of the smell in the ladies changing room toilets... Not nice at all!

I never tried the spa facilities, but it wasn't for lack of trying. I asked the lady on the health club's reception desk if I could book any treatments, and she said to go and ask them myself. I went to do that, but there was nobody to be seen. In the end I gave up waiting for somebody to appear. I think the health club staff need to communicate a little better with the staff at the spa, because it did look quite unprofessional.
In the end I had to ring the spa from my mobile and leave a message on their answering machine. They did get back to me very quickly, but were fully booked until the afternoon of the next day. I recommend anyone wishing to use the spa, book in advance (by phone)!!!!

I had a lovely stay and would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 142.. It was quite a walk from reception. My parents stayed in room 108 which was w...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

Dear heiz1987
Thank you for your positive review. We appreciate any feedback which will allow us to monitor and improve our service and standards. I have noted all your comments and will ensure these are shared and dealt with where required, particularly the hot plates and the communication within the club.
I hope you will return again soon and enjoy one of the many fabulous treatments, perhaps the new warm bamboo stick massage.
Best wishes

Reviewed September 4, 2013

This hotel has been a favourite locally. I have attended functions and conferences here. Staff are always helpful and facilities clean and sparkly. Good to see it back to being called "the Great Danes" and not the chain name only

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Dear nikewood
Thank you very much for your positive comments.
We are proud to retain the iconic name and again to be known as the Great Danes to all our many customers, old and new.

Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

Stayed in room 209, a beautiful room with a lovely view and very clean. Shame the tv is a bit temperamental!
Lovely breakfast could not ask for a better range of food, however I must comment on the evening meal we experianced here. Incredibly overpriced for not a very good standard of food and a long wait. Also another put off the gentleman that seemed to be running the restaurant was impolite to his staff which is not nice to hear.
Despite the restaurant experiance we would recommend and revisit.. Just find somewhere elsewhere to eat!

• Stayed: August 2013

Dear kerrypkc
Thank you for your review, I am pleased you enjoyed the breakfast and your lovely bedroom. We regularly check our prices to ensure we offer good value for money. We appreciate all feedback which will allow us to continually monitor and improve our service and standards and will pick up the concerns in your other comments without delay.
Yours sincerely

Reviewed September 1, 2013

Don't know where to start ... Well I'll go with the positive .... Hotel staff were amazing ... Shame my positive stops there. Our room was tiny and looked as though they had half started renovations and stopped there was drill marks in the walls and dirt up them.net curtains where filthy with them supposed to be white but actually being grey. To make matters worse there was what appeared to be mascara smeared in the bedding. The we went to the pool ... The pool had scum floating on the edge and in the tiles. Then the jacuzzi had brown dirt in the plastic grills at the side of the pool it was so dirty that me and my boyfriend both agreed we had to complain. The manager was very very helpful and obviously apologised and tried to get us too stay with complementary drink ect but we decided we wanted a full refund and to be fair they did give it to us. Honestly without the staff being so helpful and friendly this would have been the worst hotel I have been to and for cleanliness and facilities it was stay away.

Room Tip: Stay way from room 228
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Abbie M
Dominic D, General Manager at Mercure Maidstone Great Danes Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2013

Dear Abbie
Thank you for your review. We appreciate any feedback which will allow us to continually monitor and improve our service and standards and I am sorry you had cause for complaint.
The level of cleanliness here is generally regarded as very good and we will be quick to ensure there has been no lapse in our normal standards.

Reviewed August 27, 2013

Lovely hotel with very helpful staff. We found it a very convenient location for our visit to Leeds Castle which is a few minutes walk away. The food was very good in the brasserie at night, and the breakfast was one of the best I've had.

• Stayed: August 2013
Dominic D, General Manager at Mercure Maidstone Great Danes Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2013

Dear Annfzm
Thank you for your great review.
I am delighted you enjoyed your visit.
Hope to see you back again soon.
Dominic

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hollingbourne
Tudor Park Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Mercure Tunbridge Wells
Dog & Bear Hotel
Dog & Bear Hotel
#2 of 3 in Lenham

Been to Mercure Maidstone Great Danes Hotel? Share your experiences!