“Great Grounds shame about the bedrooms”

Mercure Maidstone Great Danes Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hollingbourne
Sutton, Surrey
“Great Grounds shame about the bedrooms”
Reviewed July 31, 2013

My family & friends spent 2 nights last weekend for my daughter's wedding which was held at the Great Danes hotel. The wedding went smoothly and the staff could not do enough. As there were 2 weddings that weekend I did feel sorry for other guests as it was quite raucous.

Clare was on hand to ensure the wedding went to plan and I cannot thank her and her team enough - very accommodating and professional. Food was good and the staff preparing the banqueting room lovely and friendly - it looked beautiful. A special thank you to Doug who went the extra mile Friday evening to help us with extra tables. I can see why he would be employee of the month.

On the down side, having stayed at several Mercure hotels for business & pleasure I was expecting the same standard of bedrooms from the Great Danes Hotel. Sadly 2 nights in a cramped room with no air conditioning meant little sleep. Like other guests I had to hunt for the extra towel and the toiletries were only enough for one person. Yes the grounds are superb but I wasn't sleeping in the grounds. I didn't sample the breakfast as I was too busy helping my daughter but my sister balked at £10 for 2 bowls of porridge and a drink. Drinks at the bar as expected were very expensive and even for non alcoholic beverages I paid a fortune. I didn't sample the Spa as again I was too busy with the wedding to do so.

The other disconcerting thing is that it is like a maze trying to get to your room if you are in 119 or anywhere else on that corridor since you have to go up, along a corridor and then down the other side. Guests in the next room to us got lost on arrival but I happened to be there to guide them to their room.

I would HIGHLY suggest you use the safe provided in your room as my mother (room 122) was unfortunate enough to "mislay" a box with jewellery in despite my dad seeing it and seeing her putting it in her suitcase prior to the room being cleaned. However upon arrival home the box was not in her suitcase where it should be. I would also not expect to have to put makeup in the safe!! My niece in the opposite room (123) applied her makeup prior to the wedding, put her brand new EXPENSIVE blusher in her makeup bag, on the shelf (witnessed by her sister) and 4 hours later (and sober because she is pregnant) when returning to the room to re-apply her makeup her blusher was not in the bag nor anywhere on the floor or under any beds.

Of course Dominic the Manager apologised for my family "mislaying" their items and assured me that all his staff are honest and long standing. I suggest they call Ghost Busters since they obviously have ghosts! Perhaps when cleaning a bedroom on that floor the door should be left open whilst being cleaned as with the other floors. I witnessed it on other floors but not ours.

Sadly this put a downer to the end of what was a lovely wedding and unfortunately changed my mind about us holding our customer conference there next year. I would be mortified if any of our customers "mislaid" their property whilst on a business trip hosted by my husband & I, in a hotel of our choice.

Will I stay at the Great Danes Hotel again - probably not.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dominic D, General Manager at Mercure Maidstone Great Danes Hotel, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Dear Paulineta
Thank you for your review and congratulations again on your daughters wedding. I am pleased the reception went well and was delighted to read your comments about Doug, Clare and rest of the team involved who will be happy to read this too.
We review our prices on a regular basis to ensure value for money and the signage problem in corridors will be improved.
I was sorry to read the feedback on the missing items as we have been corresponding off-line. The comment that has come in after yours is a co-incidence but we also allow police dogs to train here too and rarely have had any similar experience which has not been quickly resolved.
Dominic

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 30, 2013

We stayed here as an overnight to and then from France. Both stays were very good indeed. The location is excellent for the Euro Tunnel and the fact that the hotel is dog friendly was a particular plus for us. Breakfast was excellent for the price and the staff could not do any more for us. Of particular mention was Chris the deputy manager. He was particularly helpful, moving tables outside for us and ensuring we had a good spot for breakfast. All other staff we encountered were friendly and helpful. Our room - okay it wasn't the Ritz - but its not Ritz prices either! It was comfortable and clean. Maybe during the hot weather, it would be good to have a thinner duvet but a fan was provided without asking for it. The food and drinks in the restaurant were really good and all very well priced. An added bonus were the beautiful grounds - all meticulously well kept and wonderful for walking the dogs at any time of the day. Maybe next time I'll get up early for a swim in the health club. Thanks for a fab stay - we will definitely return!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dominic D, General Manager at Mercure Maidstone Great Danes Hotel, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Dear Metg
Thank you very much for your positive review.
I will be sure to share your comments with the team and especially Chris.
We hope to welcome you back again soon.
Guadeloupe
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I am very frequent traveler staying at Mercure or higher in the Accor group. For the accomodation this hotel is a long way below the standards I have encountered and accept from Mercure across Europe.

It is unfair i think that the hotel fail to advise customers that events are organised at the facilities which impact the quality of the stay. In this instance, a marriage resulting in a great deal of noise, rowdy guests, slamming doors and people hammering on doors at all hours of the night.

We requested a quiet room, and in fact slept very little. Due to the noise of course , but also from the heat. Air conditioning does not exist, though to be fair, there is no reference in the description.

The room, is cramped and ours had a not insignificant layer of dust on the TV and other surfaces.

The TV kept switching off and the channels announced were not available.

We had to hunt around for a second bathtowel and there were no tissues in the bathroom.

On the positive side, the grounds were superb, well kept and full of wild life. The restaurant was excellent, both for breakfast and dinner, with charming, friendly and efficient staff. The choice of products and their presentation was good. So, while i would likely not stay again, I would reconsider a night at the restaurant.

I do sincerely hope though that the married couple have a long and happy marriage.

1 Thank Dave Y
Dominic D, General Manager at Mercure Maidstone Great Danes Hotel, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Dear Dave Y
Thank you for your considerate review, I am pleased you found the restaurant team efficient and friendly with a good choice on the menu. With regard to the bedrooms, we do have a number of types and sizes and would recommend a Privilege room but are always happy to offer an alternative whenever possible. The TVs and free wifi have recently been upgraded throughout the hotel. When booking on-line it is not always possible to notify of a wedding or party and I am very sorry that the inconsiderate behaviour of some guests impacted on your stay.
Please let me know if you decide to visit again and we will ensure your visit is more memorable.
Dominic

Travelers are raving about these Hollingbourne hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Upon arrival at the Mercure, the first thing we saw was a huge, sparkling white Christmas tree through the window at the entrance. It turned out that they were advertising Christmas parties, but it was certainly odd to see that in mid-July, and perhaps advertising it away from the hotel entrance would have been advisable.
There seemed to be a bit of confusion at check-in, however when we got to our room it was really nice (the privilege rooms are good value).
Dinner was nice, however the service was painfully slow. We arrived at 8.30 and were still waiting for our starters half an hour later (soup and terrine, so not cooked from scratch). We sat for a considerable amount of time with empty plates in front of us and others around us were also getting very impatient.
The rooms were very hot in the night, and the fan used to keep them cool was really loud and I woke up both nights at 3am! Air conditioning would be a good investment. On the second night, there was a wedding, and people were making noise outside until well into the early hours. I think it would be a good rule to stop noise outside after a certain time, as not all guests were part of the wedding party.
Breakfast was nice, but a smile and a good morning from the waiter serving tea and coffee would be much appreciated. The pool was a great facility.
We placed a sign on the door saying "please make up the room", as it hadn't been made up earlier in the day, but although staff came in to replace the toiletries and towels, our bed wasn't made up properly, and this was a shame as this was one of the main perks of staying in a hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank HERT3090
Dear Hert3090
Thank you for your review.
I am pleased you enjoyed your Privilege room, the leisure club and found the dinner nice but apologise for the slow service on this occassion as it was an exceptionally busy period. The warm weather has been fabulous and seems to be behind us now with the rooms cooling off nicely. I have noted your other comments and will follow these up with those concerned and look to better controlling any guests using the patio after hours.
Derby
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Stayed at the hotel as an overnight stop en-route to France. The hotel is well located just off the motorway. The rooms are well appointed and the staff friendly, helpful and efficient. Will definitely stay at this hotel in the future.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Dominic D, General Manager at Mercure Maidstone Great Danes Hotel, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
Dear Doc09Derby
Thank you very much for your positive review.
We look forward to welcoming you back.
Gravesend, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

When first got to room was shocked at how hot room felt , left window open all night to cool down room, only down side was peacocks were so loud early in morning, made me jump!
Food was good , conference facilities were very good too,
Would stay again

• Stayed June 2013
Thank you very much for your review.
The peacocks have gone to a new home, but we have retained the peahen. With 26 acres of lovely ground we were delighted when 5 peacocks were born here 3 years ago. Sadly, whilst they are beautiful creatures, this year their voices matured and we had to say goodbye.

I am delighted you enjoyed the food and facilities and look forward to welcoming you back.
Best wishes
Sudbury, Suffolk, UK
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Good location, excellent hotel grounds, good restaurant, Food good although restaurant service was a little slow on the Friday night. Amanda in the Bar was fantastic, a very professional lady. DO NOT STAY IN ROOM 218..... unless you want to stay overnight in a box. We paid £149 for two nights on a special deal which included breakfast & dinner on the first night. But if you get woken up each morning to banging & clanging from outside (218 is at the back/side of the hotel overlooking the rear Car park) there is no point paying for a room in my option. We did report this to reception after the first night but the guy on Reception did not seem particularly interested, so really no point on mentioning it again after the second night. We will stay at the Hilton in future, larger rooms, the Hilton is more expensive but in the end you pay for what you get. But maybe we were just unlucky.... who knows.

Room Tip: All the rooms at this hotel are the same size apart from the Suites. If you want a Double Room with...